Sign in to follow this  
Shaney

Knowing what runway ATC will tell you to land on

Guest JamesWoods
You can always bring up the map in the sim and bring up the airport information any time in flight, that'll provide you with all the info you need. Of'course if you're after realism and flying in the US, you should use runwayfinder.com or skyvector.com and use the charts and airport charts from there on a second computer or laptop.
The idea of having to reach for FSX menu to get landing runway frequency etc, is not something i like at all.I prefer if everything happens in real time without the pause of going to fsx menu to get approach data for runway.This is why i use rc4, all the information you need for the runway atc gives is put right there infront of you by rc4, no need to break the realism by leaving your VC for FSX menu to check anything.But like you said, one could also open relevant website on a second screen or computer, this is also better than leaving the VC to go check ils data in FSX menu.

Guest PPSFA

You didn't mention if you are using 'RW" weather of setting your own. If you are setting your own, you can set the wind direction and use any runway close to that heading, ATC uses surface winds to determine runway the majority of the time.If you are using RW weather, you can get all the info you need at www.airnav.com FREE. Just look at the METAR for your destination, look at the airport diagram, and plan on the one closest aligned with the wind. 99% of the time thats the one ATC will assign in FSX. And if they dont, you have all the runway info in front of you to make a quick change.

Well I use ASA. I can get a destination weather report. I also have a weather bot on IRC I use sometimes. Also checking the winds if you get a runway assignment from ATC and you see the winds change at the last minute, in most cases you can request a runway and/or approach change. I use PFE and stock ATC. PFE is a little more flexible in runway changing farther out from the airfield but the stock ATC will allow a runway change if the winds change accordingly.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

1 - find the ils frequency for the given runway and its heading in FSX airport database2 - Tune ils and course manually 3 - Select the given runway in my GPS so i have situation awarenessTrying to do all this manually at just 30miles out in a jet engine is not realistic at all, but with the tools i mentioned above its very easy, now i no longerr have to hit the pause button as soon ATC gives me landing runway.
Why didn't you simply USE the GPS's full capabilities?Even the default GPS can easily and quickly telll you what frequencies are available at any airport, and can even autotune the standby COM or NAV radios... :( I don't know why so many folks simply refuse to even look beyond the map screen to discover the true depth of the default MS/ACES G500's features... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

There is a way to tell from the flight planner. In the FP look at find route. Then scroll to your arrival airport. The pink line should end at a runway it plans to make you land at. For example: The line ends at the beginning of let's say runway "9". That means you'll land at runway "9". Hope this helps :D

There is a way to tell from the flight planner. In the FP look at find route. Then scroll to your arrival airport. The pink line should end at a runway it plans to make you land at. For example: The line ends at the beginning of let's say runway "9". That means you'll land at runway "9". Hope this helps :D

I am sure it would of.. 4 years ago when this thread was made.

Anyone else notice all these old threads dug up recently?

Yup, noticed that too. (And one other thing most of them have in common is that the person who revives the thread makes his first post by doing so.)

I am sure it would of.. 4 years ago when this thread was made.

Oops didn't look at the date.

The problem with FSX ATIS is the range, about 60NM, a too short distance to discuss and plan/replan an approach briefing, especially if you fly IFR approach with FMC and in not knowed airports.

I'll try Brett's method, but are you sure the range is 100NM?

As stated before there are good addons like RC to handle ATIS freq and landing runway, or RealATIS (not more supported I think). What about Pro ATC X?

Well I use ASA. I can get a destination weather report. I also have a weather bot on IRC I use sometimes. Also checking the winds if you get a runway assignment from ATC and you see the winds change at the last minute, in most cases you can request a runway and/or approach change. I use PFE and stock ATC. PFE is a little more flexible in runway changing farther out from the airfield but the stock ATC will allow a runway change if the winds change accordingly.

How do you use ASA/E to retrieve landing runway?

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270