Sign in to follow this  
Akila

How To set-up FSX on dual Monitor

Hey Guys, I just got Two Identical Monitors (LG 21.5") DVI connection and I have the Nvidia GTX295with two DVI outputs.I am running Win7 and I set up Windows in "Screen resolution" under "Multiple displays" to "Extend these displays" .now I can drag windows from one screen to another without a problem.Now I am having problem on Setting FSX to run on dual screen (expand view)I can only See the cockpit on one screen and it doesn't expand to the other screen, like in that Video(s): I have no need or desire on having my cockpit on one screen and having on the other screen other stuff like GPS,controls, etc. which BTW I managed to do.The only reason I got two screens is to expand the Cockpit view (wider view), like in the Example Video(s). How can I set it up to run it in two screens like in that Video(s) without buying any other Hardware (e.g. DualHead2Go, etc)Is there maybe a Software that could do that for me and Expand the view for FSX? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhnO2lU2xb4http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3epmZhPPeBg

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

You need to take your cockpit window and expand it to cover both screens or increase the resolution in FS to match the expanded screen WxH.

Jeff Smith
Sales / Product Support
Flight One Software
'Like' Us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter / My Blog - Being Reorganized

Hi Akila, I also run FSX using multiple monitors. If you want to try to run FSX in "windowed mode" using those new monitors then I suggest you do the following: 1. open FSX - it will appear on the monitor that is designated your "primary" monitor2. select a flight and click on "fly now"3. the sim will bring up the flight you selected. (lets assume you wish to fly using the VC cockpit) If FSX is not in the "VC cockpit" mode, then go up to the menu and select "views/view mode/cockpit/vc cockpit"4. you should now be in the "VC cockpit" view. Now go back up to the menu, select views/new view/cockpit/vc cockpit". This will open up a new window which should appear in the upper left corner of your primary monitor.5. move your cursor into this new window and right-click. You will see a menu. Select "undock window.6. now go up to the top border of your new window and, while there, hold your left mouse button down and move that new window to your adjacent monitor.7. once you have the new window in the adjacent monitor use your mouse to resize and position both windows in both monitors to a position that closely resembles that found in your videos.8. now go back to your main view (in your primary monitor) and select from the menu - "options, settings, controls, buttons/keys"9. scroll down until you find an option that states, "View - link all (toggle)" and assign either a yoke button or a keyboard key to that function. 10. close the "settings" and return to the VC cockpit view. 11. check again to make sure your views in both monitors are as you wish them to be - adjust each individually as necessary.12. move your cursor back to your main or primary view and click in that window to make it the active window13 now press the yoke button or the keyboard button you assigned in 9. above. you should now be able to use both monitors and when you use your hat switch to pan around the cockpit both views should pan together.Remember to always "click" on the view in the monitor you wish to adjust prior to trying to adjust that view just to make sure you have activated the correct monitor. One other thing, remember to toggle off the control that links your views together when you wish to make adjustments to either of the views separately. Hope this helps, John

Hey Jo.1st of all thank you very much for a very detailed flow, really appreciated. I followed your instructions and although both windows are linked and pan at the same HAT switch as expected, It doesn't give me what I want.what we did here is a replica of the VC not the extension of the VC.when I did new view ->cockpit-> VC cockpit, virtually what I did is replicate the current view.If I pick the 1st officer view it will be a bit more extended view in the cockpit, however I will have a redundant and unaligned Runway on both views.If you look carefully on the 1st Video I posted , you will see what I am seeking for.

Joel Strikovsky

Hi Akila, I know of no software that will effectively "spread" your view onto both monitors. TR2go will accomplish this by effectively changing the resolution to allow both monitors to act as one and since you are only using 2 monitors you might want to consider this. I found TR2go unable to accomplish what I wanted without an additional expense required because it would not spread the view over my three monitors and use the resolution I desired (1920X1080X32) using the "nominal" set-up. If you utilize the method I outlined above, you will be able to position the views to account for the bezel gap between them but you will have to live with the distortion. That is why I ultimately went with three monitors. I use three wide-screen Acers. All three are VC views, the one in front is "straight on" while the other two are shifted right and left in an amount to effectively give me a much wider view of the entire VC cockpit. In order to accomplish this I installed a Nvidia GTX 580 which then drives all three. To make sure we are talking about the same process here, what you should do after you create your new window and move it to the new monitor is to then use the hat switch (before you "lock" both views together using the keyboard or yoke button you assigned for that purpose) and "move" each view right and left as required to effectively "spread" the VC cockpit view. So, on your left monitor the view would be shifted to the left and the right monitor would have its view shifted to the right. Your viewing "position" (captain's side VS co-pilot's side) will be the same in both monitors, its just the view that has been shifted right and left as required. Once you have moved both views as necessary THEN lock those views by toggling the assigned key or button. That is about as much as I can help to try to get you closer to your goal. It will not equal the method that Jeff mentions above but you will be able to use both of your new monitors without spending any additional $. You may not be able to adjust the FS resolution to a setting that is sufficiently high enough to effectively spread your view over both of your new monitors and maintain the resolution in each monitor that is acceptable to you. If that is the case then the "windowed view" fix is probably the only one available to you until you purchase something like TH2go. Good Luck! John

To make sure we are talking about the same process here, what you should do after you create your new window and move it to the new monitor is to then use the hat switch (before you "lock" both views together using the keyboard or yoke button you assigned for that purpose) and "move" each view right and left as required to effectively "spread" the VC cockpit view. So, on your left monitor the view would be shifted to the left and the right monitor would have its view shifted to the right. Your viewing "position" (captain's side VS co-pilot's side) will be the same in both monitors, its just the view that has been shifted right and left as required. Once you have moved both views as necessary THEN lock those views by toggling the assigned key or button.
Ok, Assuming I do that and manage to Sync the Views as you mentioned, is it possible to save this viewsome how in FSX that I won't have to go through this process every time I load/fly FSX?

Joel Strikovsky

The answer is a partial "yes". You can create a flight using your best available multi-monitor/multi-view set up then save that flight (making it the default flight in the process if you so desire). Now, each time you bring up that flight you will see a full-sized view in the main monitor and a small window containing your second view in the upper left corner of the subordinate monitor. You will have to move your cursor to the subordinate monitor and resize the small window. That is an easy process - I simply move to each of my subordinate monitors (right & left) separately and place my cursor on the bottom right corner of each window and drag that window down to the bottom right corner of the monitor. It really takes no time at all. You will usually find that your views need to be adjusted slightly since the saving process doesn't always maintain completely the perspective integrity of your views but that is also simple to accomplish. Make sure your view-lock toggle is disabled before you attempt to adjust your views or you will make a little more work for yourself. One thing however, make sure you do not accidently drag either of your views into the adjacent monitor. If you accidently place a portion, however small, of one window into both monitors, you can suffer a decrease in FPS. I am always very careful to respect the boundaries of all of my monitors because of that scenario. You will also see a decline in FPS when you operate your system in this mode vs the TH2go technique. The scenario I have described to you requires your system to recognize and maintain 2 separate windows. The TH2go scenario involves only 1 window whose resolution is such that it spans both of your monitors. The TH2go scenario will be easier on your system than my scenario. You can see how much of a "hit" your system is absorbing and dealing with by setting up your flight using 2 windows as outlined above and then bringing up the FPS counter. Once you have a stabilized reading, go to the subordinate monitor and close the view in that monitor. Now look at your FPS counter again. The difference in the reading will reflect how much you degraded your system's performance by opening and using that second window. Make sure when you do this little experiment that you do it over the same area so you are not influencing the FPS by flying over different areas. Take care! John

thanks again.I tried that method you mentioned the cockpit is kinda extended , however due to redundant Runway (you see two different runways on the screen , not as a big one runway spread on two screens) , it's not really relevant.

Joel Strikovsky

I understand and agree its by no means a good solution with just two monitors. If I run across something that might work for you I'll keep you in mind! Good Luck! John

I understand and agree its by no means a good solution with just two monitors. If I run across something that might work for you I'll keep you in mind! Good Luck! John
Thanks a million man.

Joel Strikovsky