Sign in to follow this  
Comanche

Windows 8 & X-plane 10

I don't mind being a Guinea Pig, so I downloaded and installed the Windows 8 consumer preview (against my better judgment) over my Win 7 ultimate 64 bit. It took about a 1/2 hour and several reboots, but everything is working fine, including X-plane 10. No increase in FPS with Win 8 and its running stable, but so was win 7. I don't care much for the Metro desktop thing, but you don't have to use it and my desktop looks and works pretty much the same as before. The only thing I had to do was re-install my sound card drivers and downloaded Win 8 64bit version of the latest Nvidia drivers. Bottom line, if your using Win 7 and have no problems, Win 8 wont do much more for you, at least not with X-plane. Rob

Glad I found this one, saves me lot of time. Thanks for sharing.

Flo

Windows 8 is only good if you have a tablet, if you have a desktop, don't waste your time with it.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Thanks on Comanche.

What do folks think about a "metro" based x-plane? I expect to see lots of win 8 tablets, so a version similar to the iPad would make sense to me. I'd buy it!

What do folks think about a "metro" based x-plane? I expect to see lots of win 8 tablets, so a version similar to the iPad would make sense to me. I'd buy it!

I think a tablet is very nice for displaying charts or controlling a CDU, but not for rendering detailed graphics for a desktop flight simulator.

^_^

A "Metro" based X-Plane would only work with Windows 8, and no more on most operating systems like Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu, Mint or Mac OS. So I think a "Metro" based X-Plane would be a waste of time for Laminar Research.

If you want a mobile version of X-Plane, you can already use a version for iOS and a version for Android.

There's already a confusion between the mobile (and very light) version of X-Plane, and the desktop version. A "Metro" version for Windows 8 or Windows 8 RT would only bring more confusion. Is there really a market for this ?

Windows 8 is only good if you have a tablet, if you have a desktop, don't waste your time with it.

Uh, the only thing different is the Metro start screen. Other than that, there are significant speed improvements and optimizations. It's the same Windows OS, just with a different start menu and better performance. You only have to get used to Metro.

Not trying to get this thread off-topic, just saying...

Brandon Filer