Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

Ivy Bridge / Sandy Bridge: What would you chose?

Ok,

Almost time for some component upgrade.

I am stuck between a sandy bridge and the ivy bridge, i5 and i7,

Whats the best bang for the buck for FSX, is it still the 2500k?

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

i7 2700k, the best for overclock

Wondering this very much myself as well.

Two primary dilemma's from my point of view:

1) Sandy bridge or Ivy bridge. If the overclocking of the IB has become worse compared to SB, how much is that affected to your FSX performance. Even with lower over clock, is the IB still faster, or is SB better performing because of higher over clock in the end?

2) Secondly, i2500k/i3570k or i2700k/i3770k. (co-depending on the outcome of my first point)

I'm thinking i2500k or i3570k are fine choices. If I'm correctly informed, the i3570 is basically the successor of the i2500k?

Or are there clear advantages of the i2700k/i3770k which might justify the roughly 100extra euros?

Apart from SB or IB, what are your experiences and/or noticeable differences between the 'lower-end' i2500k/i3570k, and the 'higher-end' i2700k/i3770k?

Opinions please :)

Not sure what choice to make regarding any upgrade, but I'm currently running a 2700K at stock speed and it runs FSX very nicely. I will try an overclock some time, but I think I'm actually quite happy the way it is now. At some busy airports I could use a little more power, but other than that, no complaints :-)

I still think the i5 2500K is the best value. Yes, you might get a few hundred more MHz out of the 2700K, but you're paying a premium for that and it's probably not going to be that much of a difference in terms of framerate. You have to turn the hyperthreading off to get the really high overclocks on it anyway, which effectively makes it an i5.

I would not buy Ivy Bridge for an FSX system, it doesn't overclock as well and I think it's a much lower value proposition.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I still think the i5 2500K is the best value. Yes, you might get a few hundred more MHz out of the 2700K, but you're paying a premium for that and it's probably not going to be that much of a difference in terms of framerate. You have to turn the hyperthreading off to get the really high overclocks on it anyway, which effectively makes it an i5.

I would not buy Ivy Bridge for an FSX system, it doesn't overclock as well and I think it's a much lower value proposition.

I agree with Ryan completely. I recently upgraded my motherboard, RAM, and CPU to have an i5 2500k to replace my i7-950. The 2500k only cost me $150, and while running a Corsair H50 cooler (out of production, but lowest model of liquid cooler from Corsair) I have it overclocked to 4.5ghz with no stability issues. I also believe the i5 will give off slightly less heat, jsut because the nature of a smaller chip, making your cooler more effective. The 2500k is a better value than the 2700k at this point.

I recently upgraded my motherboard, RAM, and CPU to have an i5 2500k to replace my i7-950.

I did exactly the same thing. Sold my i7-950 on ebay and bought i5 2550k as it was on sale and reduced to £20 cheaper than the 2500k! Running it at stock 3.4 ghz at the moment as it runs what I want it to very well. I will overclock maybe later in the year when the system has run itself in.

The money I saved from getting the 2700k I bought the Corsair H80 watercooler and a Coolermaster case which are very good. Keeps my temps at 23c at idle and around 38c when running FSX.

Alex, since you are in the uk take a look at this, I just bought one to upgrade my second machine.

http://www.overclock...tid=2053=

Edit - Forget that, just saw your specs so you only need the chip! ;)

Rob Prest

Alex, since you are in the uk take a look at this, I just bought one to upgrade my second machine.

http://www.overclock...tid=2053=

Hey dude,

The thing about this is it supplies two components I already own, so for me, I will buy seperately. I assume the z77 asus boards are the besT?

Alex

Alex Ridge

I don't know how is i5, I have i7 2700K and like harvester21 allready said - I am very happy at stock speed. In this moment, CPU works at 4018MHz (stock speed) becouse of mainboard i guess.

I'll do some overclock, probably to 4.8GHz, but I'd like to know how will this improve FSX performance. My only problem is at very busy airports, FPS are going down to 20 and I have some stutters. In general, FPS is above 30(about 50fps most of time, and goes to 100fps in the air)without stutters. They appears about 20 fps in my case.

i5 is probably the best value for mooney because half the price of 2700K.

I would appreciate If someone can tell me - should I overclock CPU to 4.8GHz? Whether this will improve the FPS and performance so much?

Thanks

[...]

You should really ask in a different thread, but yes, overclocking will lead to higher frames.

Alex Ridge

should I overclock CPU to 4.8GHz?

Hi Zeljko, given your other questions and comments, I doubt very much if you should attempt such a drastic overclock. 4.8GHz really is expert level. If you are hapy with what you have, leave it alone. If you want to explore the potential of your hardware, you will need to start by researching the various overclocking forums available to find one that suits you.

http://www.techpower...der-Report.html

To put it bluntly, Intel dropped the ball with Ivy Bridge. They used mundane thermal paste instead of a fluxless solder when binding the integrated heat spreader to the CPU itself. Not only does this result in inferior cooling performance, but it calls into question the longevity of the CPU itself, since thermal paste can theoretically degrade over time (takes a few years, granted), and replacing the IHS isn't exactly a common task. The only reasonable explanation is that they did this to lower production costs, though those savings were obviously never passed onto us.

Because it runs very high temperatures with an aggressive overclock (despite the reduced power consumption and TDP), Ivy Bridge is widely regarded as a failure in the overclocking community. Since overclocking gives such great results in FSX, you should probably stick to Sandy Bridge.

I had to make this very decision two weeks ago when I upgraded my own machine, and went with an i5 2500k. The 2700k is supposedly capable of better absolute overclocks (though clock for clock with HT disabled, it's really no faster than the 2500K), but it's ~33% more expensive, I only spend about a fifth of my gaming time in FSX, and I figured I'd pick up a Track IR, some new pedals, or another SSD with the difference. None of the Ivy Bridge processors were serious considerations given what I'd read around the enthusiast boards, though I did get a Z77 based motherboard just to have the option down the road.

And FWIW--I came from an i5 750 with a 3.8 GHz overclock. Was able to recycle both my RAM and my aftermarket CPU cooler with this build, which saved me a few bucks (first time ever!). You'll definitely be happy with a SB processor coming from an i7 930.

http://www.techpower...der-Report.html

To put it bluntly, Intel dropped the ball with Ivy Bridge. They used mundane thermal paste instead of a fluxless solder when binding the integrated heat spreader to the CPU itself. Not only does this result in inferior cooling performance, but it calls into question the longevity of the CPU itself, since thermal paste can theoretically degrade over time (takes a few years, granted), and replacing the IHS isn't exactly a common task. The only reasonable explanation is that they did this to lower production costs, though those savings were obviously never passed onto us.

Because it runs very high temperatures with an aggressive overclock (despite the reduced power consumption and TDP), Ivy Bridge is widely regarded as a failure in the overclocking community. Since overclocking gives such great results in FSX, you should probably stick to Sandy Bridge.

I had to make this very decision two weeks ago when I upgraded my own machine, and went with an i5 2500k. The 2700k is supposedly capable of better absolute overclocks (though clock for clock with HT disabled, it's really no faster than the 2500K), but it's ~33% more expensive, I only spend about a fifth of my gaming time in FSX, and I figured I'd pick up a Track IR, some new pedals, or another SSD with the difference. None of the Ivy Bridge processors were serious considerations given what I'd read around the enthusiast boards, though I did get a Z77 based motherboard just to have the option down the road.

And FWIW--I came from an i5 750 with a 3.8 GHz overclock. Was able to recycle both my RAM and my aftermarket CPU cooler with this build, which saved me a few bucks (first time ever!). You'll definitely be happy with a SB processor coming from an i7 930.

I just bought the i5 sandy also, for me the best value and performance you can get taking into account money,

hopefully I will see an improvement from my overclocked I7 930

Alex Ridge