Sign in to follow this  
asanal

Out of Memory

I just put this post into P3D forum.

I was really surprised "Out of memory " issue. I never had memory problem, with FSX full load add-ons.

That is second time P3D is stopped my flight and informed " P3D will stop. Your PC run out memory and shutting down" .

My PC has:

Total Physical Memory 6.00 GB

Available Physical Memory 4.14 GB

Total Virtual Memory 17.7 GB

Available Virtual Memory 15.4 GB

Page File Space 11.7 GB

How much memory do we need to operate P3D? :

Thanks,

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

I have now decided that until they release a proper 64bit version I will not be installing P3D. When are developers going to pull finger and start writing using 64bit code with these things? 64bit capable machines have been around for so many years now it just isn't funny. The way I see it this software has no future until they address this - addons are only going to get more complicated but if the sim isn't able to use more than 4GB of memory we will forever be limited. I think they need to get this sorted before releasing V2 at all costs.

That is news for me. You mean P3D is working with 32bit version?

Ahmet Sanal

Yea it runs in a 64bit environment but it's 32bit code so isn't capable of addressing more than 4GB of RAM just like FSX (unless I am woe-fully misinformed but I doubt it - if it was true 64bit code it would be getting posted all over the forum). They really need to sort that. I've got 16GB of RAM and I've seen one crash at a high-density airport due to FSX maxxing out it's memory pool.

Sorry to hear about your OOM problem. But so far (Imight be wrong) your the only one having this issue. I fly my NX all around and threw ORBX, GEX and UT scenry and never experience an OOM. I've had shut down due to dll incompadibilities but no OOM.

The amount of physical memory has nothing to do with OOM's. It has to do with your VAS or (Virtual Address space). List your computer specs and OS I'm sure someone here can assist you.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

Might try reading the LM Learning center material before pointing fingers. Lots of good tuning and settings info there. If not you can always ask for a refund.

Sorry to hear about your OOM problem. But so far (Imight be wrong) your the only one having this issue. I fly my NX all around and threw ORBX, GEX and UT scenry and never experience an OOM. I've had shut down due to dll incompadibilities but no OOM.

The amount of physical memory has nothing to do with OOM's. It has to do with your VAS or (Virtual Address space). List your computer specs and OS I'm sure someone here can assist you.

Do you run your LOD Radius setting higher than 4.5? It's usually the number one culprit which sucks because setting it up to 7.5 gets rid of the bluriness of textures in the distance so they look crisp even miles away.

Do you run your LOD Radius setting higher than 4.5? It's usually the number one culprit which sucks because setting it up to 7.5 gets rid of the bluriness of textures in the distance so they look crisp even miles away.

Yes mine is set at 6.5

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

Guest do_denver2

I've run P3d for a a week or so now and I did get 1 Out of Memory error so far. I'm running pretty much maxed sliders so I dropped LOD to 5.5... Honestly I can't tell the difference because I have so much autogen. So far no more errors. I've sort of come to expect a CTD from time to time, and as long as it's truly every once in a while I can live with it. FSUIPC has a great feature that autosaves, so I set it to autosave every 2 minutes. If and when it crashes I'm back up and running at the same point in the flight within minutes, and hopefully quicker when my new SSD arrives Monday!

What I noticed in P3D, why I was getting some OOMS - there is no startup menu, so what you do is load your default flight, then you change the aircraft, airport, maybe even time. Each of those reloads puts more usage into VAS. I checked. And with sceneries from FSX, whichever you are using, they tend to be quite memory intensive, thus pushing the VAS really high up. I did some tests around ORBX PNW.

What you can do is set up your flight as you want it, but do it with a default cessna or so, otherwise unexpected errors might occur. Then save it, clicking on "make this default". Reload sim.

I was getting OOM errors in Windows 7 with 8 GB of ram with FSX all the time, especially with Orbx airports; until I used this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246

Hmm, what does this really do? OOMs happen when VAS usage hits 4GB. What does this "setting" do for FSX VAS usage?

Let me update my OOMS problem. After my third OOMS on same flight plan (KCHS-KJFK) and around same location ( 100 nm to JFK), I also,realized one more major problem developed. This one was an eye opener. If some one told me GPU can reach 89 C, I will not believed. But my GPU GF x480 in REXE clouds setting reached 89C and FPS was around 5-7. I consider my Dell Aurora is a powerful PC, I never had 5-7FPS and GPU Temp around 89C, Flying with REXE heavy weather , Temp will be around 60 -67 and will remain there.

To avoid damage to GPU. I immediately shut down the PC.

My next steps were:

a) I lower the sliders from max to dense and lower, ( Made a test flight in same route. NO OOMS)

B) One day before temperature and FPS problems started. I downloaded new Nvidia GF 306.2 driver. After experiencing these unusual problems, I decided to go back 304.48 driver and deleted 306.2 driver.

Here is the eye opener,in my next test flight, there were no NO MORE high temperatures, FPS went to normal showing 29/30 (Targeted FPS 30). During the change of windows screen from Full mode to Windowed mode screen flickering is Gone.

I don't blame Nvidia GF 306.2. May be I selected wrong driver for Nvidia X480 Extreme GPU. But,when I run the auto selection of Nvidia driver tool, the result was 306.2 for my 480.

I think, before to jump conclusions I have to understood the problem clearly and search suitable solutions to the problems, then make the changes, If doesn't work get help more knowledgeable members.

Ahmet Sanal

there is no startup menu, so what you do is load your default

Come on LM make a startup menu!! :biggrin:

Hmm, what does this really do? OOMs happen when VAS usage hits 4GB. What does this "setting" do for FSX VAS usage?

I have no idea, all I know is that it works, and I no longer have OOM issues. Now its just d3d crashes with ENBSeries. If someone can solve that then FSX would be magical.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

After discussing it with L.M. It appears the main culprit for OOM errors is due to the use of Shader 3.0 which increases the amount of graphics memory being used. Turning down the LOD_Radius setting solved the problem on my system. It also seems that with the release of V 1.4 some core changes have had an effect on how tweaks that used to be applied may actually be causing problems. I used to use the BUFFERPOOL tweak quite successfully, with 1.4 it seemed to cause me grief. By eliminating the line entirely, the sim now performs better and I have had no OOM errors either. It seems with each incremental update, cfg tweaks are becoming fewer and fewer. This I believe is a good thing. I now believe it is better to use the default cfg file generated, then tweak and test, and only if you experience problems with the default settings.

Since FSX only uses Shader 2.0 the memory usage is lower and thus things could be maxed out without the error, but it doesn't look as good.

Cheers,

Cpt. Thad Wheeler

preview_prepar3dbarcode0.jpg?rev=0