Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Ortho4xp looks like a killer app for X-Plane scenery!

Seems to me someone is visiting us from the FSX/P3D world.

I use xp10,fsx and p3d. I don't get why people use autogen-less scenery in those programs either. I love photo scenery if it has either autogen or hand placed 3d objects but if it's missing those it just reminds me of flight unlimited 3,even though I loved that game back in the day I don't see why I'd want to use the same tech it did nearly 20 years later.

• Upvote 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Oscar, I used your tool to create a tile for +55+14 (Denmark Area) using BI as a service and ZL16, this is the result of it.

FA_22_A_1.png

The eastern part of this tile is showing all white and looks completely messed up. Any idea of what's happening? The folder is about 936mb.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I use xp10,fsx and p3d. I don't get why people use autogen-less scenery in those programs either. I love photo scenery if it has either autogen or hand placed 3d objects but if it's missing those it just reminds me of flight unlimited 3,even though I loved that game back in the day I don't see why I'd want to use the same tech it did nearly 20 years later.

You must not use X-Plane much then. 

• Upvote 1

Oscar, I used your tool to create a tile for +55+14 (Denmark Area) using BI as a service and ZL16, this is the result of it.

FA_22_A_1.png

The eastern part of this tile is showing all white and looks completely messed up. Any idea of what's happening? The folder is about 936mb.

This usually comes from incompletely downloaded orthophotos. What's the speed of your connection? Look the photos up in the orthophotos directory, delete the ones with the white patches and repeat the tile creation process.

I'm getting a failure at step 2.5 when creating the masks. It seemed to work fine for the default tile in the tutorial, but right now I'm trying to do +22-160 tile which is for Kauai, Hawaii.

Step 2.5 : Building Masks for Tile +22-160 : 
----------

Constructing binary mask for sea water / ground.
 Gaussian blur and level adjustment applied to the binary mask with Gimp...

Gimp is either not present on your system, or didn't configure its
access command correctly, or it has no access to the blurX script-fu.
Check in the manual for testing instructions.

Failure.

Here's the output of my command window:

E:\Applications\Ortho4XP>"E:\Applications\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-console-2.8.exe " -i -
c -b "(blurX \".\\Masks\\+22-160\\whole_tile.png\" 16 \".\\Masks\\+22-160\\whole
_tile_blured.png\")" -b "(gimp-quit 0)"

(gimp-console-2.8.exe :8928): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp-console-2.8.exe : gim
p_wire_read(): error
batch command experienced an execution error:
Error: ( : 1) eval: unbound variable: blurX

Any ideas on what's causing this error? I'm using the newly uploaded Ortho4XP that was just uploaded to X-Plane.org too.

Looks as if there might be a typo (missing blank) again before blur.x or before the parenthesis,

Hans

I feel it is not working well with quite a few hgt files, don't know if the problem is in the hgt files.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I feel it is not working well with quite a few hgt files, don't know if the problem is in the hgt files.

What do you mean by this.

I you mean the message with "no data zone" that I make printing on screen this is, at is says, because

the hgt file has no data zones (encoded as altitude=-32768). There are many tile with this on the

viewfinderpanorama website, but the zones are tiny so the averaging process that I do for those

should be fine in most cases.

If you prefer the .tiff files from gdex do not have no data zones (at least I have not seen some with)

but viewfinderpanorama even with a lower resolution is the prefered  choice of a number of people.

Does this tool has this problem as G2XPL does?

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=82010&p=910530

I do not have those airports but 99% percent sure the issue wouldn't be on g2xpl or ortho4xp side.

What do you mean by this.

I you mean the message with "no data zone" that I make printing on screen this is, at is says, because

the hgt file has no data zones (encoded as altitude=-32768). There are many tile with this on the

viewfinderpanorama website, but the zones are tiny so the averaging process that I do for those

should be fine in most cases.

If you prefer the .tiff files from gdex do not have no data zones (at least I have not seen some with)

but viewfinderpanorama even with a lower resolution is the prefered  choice of a number of people.

I do not have those airports but 99% percent sure the issue wouldn't be on g2xpl or ortho4xp side.

Yes it says "no data" and a couple of them was taking more than an hour e.g. St. Marten. I also tried my country Hill Station "Darjeeling" but it said "no node". 

Guess it is .hgt issue .

Was going to install this but when I saw that Python needed to be installed to my Windows dir according to the readme, I say no way.  That's a protected dir.   Using g2xpl works just fine for me.

I am getting a lot Crashes "Triangle4XP"  with the python console saying "no Node" , I am doing the Rhone Alpes / Alps , So Annecy / Nice etc.. are crashing

does anyone know where i can get orthophotos from Argentina? i would like to start learning and making a few sceneries but have no idea where to get them.

i think they should be available because Buenos Aires ZLxx was available at Simheaven.com by the time they still distributed global photo sceneries.

hope someone can help me

Manuel Merelles

hello Oscar !

in case of very slow "x-plane.org forum" I will ask you here !

it´s there a posibility to "don´t loose" the sloped runways if I use Ortho4XP - sceneries ? (the tool is anyway working quite well)

I´m using SRTM3 Data (hgt) and my settings are from 0.2 and higher at Curv_tol setting ! (higher setting = "lower" resolution) but in some mountainous regions I have to use higher settings! And if I compare the sceneries with the standard or g2xpl sceneries (I know that are differend meshes) -> the runways are quite "straight" (sloped runways are gone)! Did I missed up some settings or did I something wrong (using as standard mesh hd_mesh_V3 and V2 and for overlays also)

should I set some value for Min_angle  (or some other more accurate elevation data)?

thank you again !!

@captain420 (white patches) -> set  check_tms_response  to True (row 78 in the Ortho4XP.py), should be better (was in my case)

cheers !

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

I am having great results with Ortho4XP. Frames rates stayed about the same.

However when I added Overlays to get the night lighting, it dropped my frame rate

in half. Removing the overlays brings the frame rate back. Any tricks to using

Overlays without frame rate reduction?

Thanks,

Jeff