Sign in to follow this  
trucker17

2nd Annual Tom Allensworth Memorial Flight - Date ~ APR 16 (TBD)

Would be remarkable if someone set up a viewing screen in the real world airport!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Y

I have not done a sim fly in yet so do not know about setting it up. The concept I mentioned however is similar to a STAR (Standard Instrument Arrival Route). STARs define instrument routes into an area to the point that they can feed airport approaches.  My thought is that if the inbound aircraft all use an initial approach fix for a runway , which is typically 15nm or closer in to the airport, then spacing becomes a problem.  But if spacing starts farther out in distance the spacing becomes easier to manage. Then if pilots can manage given speeds the spacing can be maintained from there, through the approach, to landing and clearing the runway.  It would be up to the participating controllers to manage it.

Anyone with experience on these. How many inbound flights typically participate?

These are all things we are trying to put together for the flight. Which is why i am started this out this early.

IF we decide to use VATSIM online for the flight, we might want to engage the local facilities and have them staff-up ATC for us. I am not familiar with the Virginia area as much as I should be, not sure if that field is controlled or not? But, they could put a center and approach controllers up for us.

Jb that sounds like a good idea, I'll hit some of the AVSIM staff and see what options we have for this.

Would be remarkable if someone set up a viewing screen in the real world airport!

Yeah that would be. I will email their airport, and let them know what we are planning on doing, and see if they would be interested in putting one up for everyone their to watch.

I sent an email to Melinda Crawford. The director of the airport about setting up a monitor for everyone their to watch. once i hear back from her as to their decision, i will post it here.

Hey guys!  I look forward to flying this flight on IVAO.  If anyone needs help setting up their IVAO IVAP (flying) client, please do not hesitate to email me at: sam.johnson@ivao.aero

We will have ATC online as well.

I recieved an email from Sam Johnson.

Here is what he said.

My name is Sam Johnson, a IVAO staff member. I am in the public relations department. I would love to see you guys come and fly on IVAO and Vatsim! I think it would be nice to see both networks have traffic for the flight. I am working on supping ATC on IVAO and hope you can inform people about it.

So it looks like we have a great start to making this flight memorable.

But remember their is still lots we need.

Again

We need someone to take screens of the flight, or flights, if we do different airports to start from.

Video of the flight or flights,

and someone who can convert them for posting to the website.

Also if we use multiple airports as starting points, we need someone to run everything for that starting point, and maybe someone who can put together a rally point for all planes to meet up at in route.

Were getting their, but their is still lots to do.

If anyone wants to join in on the planning please let me know, and we can get this moving along.

We do need the help.

Thank everyone.

Craig.

Who has accurate knowledge about how this went down last year. Particularly how many (flying) participants took part? That knowledge would go a long way toward steering the planning.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

We ought to get some pilots who are good at formation flying to do a missing man for Tom and the members we lost this year like DarkstarF16. I can fly formation pretty well,anyone else?

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Who has accurate knowledge about how this went down last year. Particularly how many (flying) participants took part? That knowledge would go a long way toward steering the planning.

Craig (trucker17) has been the mover and shaker on this project from the beginning (and greatly appreciated) - http://www.avsim.com/topic/466265-tom-allensworth-memorial-flight/

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

That was me fppilot.

We had only a few that flew. We had a video set to record, but when all was finished it was to poor to show.

Their is still a couple of months to go for the planning and execution of the flight this year.

Last years flight was short about 20 minutes or so.

Yhis year we are hoping for a much longer flight, with a rally point for all flights.

Id be very happy to fly this event, probably will take up my Realair Lancair Legacy if the focus is going to be on smaller private planes. Will let some flight sim friends know as well.

Might I suggest doing it a little later in the day, such as around 6 EST? Would make sure most of us (like me) are out of school/work.

Thanks That would be a better time. We are still working on all this so once we have a concrete plan well get all the details posted with everything.

I will fly this event, PDX2530 if on this weekend Apr 16/17 :)  Thanks for doing this, i miss Tom, was a good man. Gary

Just a toss from left field, but you guys might consider contacting MSFlights. They organize trips like this successfully all the time, do videos of them, have teamspeak servers set up and are also a generally nice bunch of guys who like to fly. Something to maybe consider. http://msflights.net/forum/content.php

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.