Sign in to follow this  
Chase

Official Details for the 2nd Annual Tom Allensworth Memorial Flight

AVSIM-Logo1.png

new%20logo.png

tom.jpg

With thanks to Trucker17 and msFlights.net, AVSIM is pleased to announce the official details for the 2nd Annual Tom Allensworth Memorial Flight.

Who:  All who wish to attend.

What:  A gathering of friends from around the world to honor Tom Allensworth -- the founder of AVSIM -- who loved the community very much.  Knowing Tom, and his selfless nature, he wouldn't want us to grieve or be sad that he isn't here with us, but rather, he would want us to do something in his name that brings joy to us for many years to come.  What better way than flying that brings us all together in his memory.  The AVSIM Staff and Allensworth family thank Trucker17 for starting this tradition.

Server:  SimLink - Details on how to connect can be found by clicking here.  We will be using SimLink software so that all platforms of FSX can fly together (i.e. Classic, P3D, Steam).

Departing: April 9th @ 7pm UTC (3:00 PM EDT)

Flight Plan: KAVL>KTRI>KROA>KCHO (*PLN file available here)

Communications: We will be using a dedicated room on msFlights.net TeamSpeak server. Server address: ts3.msflights.net. In the interest of cross-community relations we would recommend placing your main community in your Name (eg. [MSF]Novawing24, [AVSIM]trucker17).

The aircraft:

• General Aviation
  • WWII era fighters and bombers
  • Any aircraft that can safely take off and land at these airports
  • Additionally there was a discussion around a repaint tribute to the work Tom did in the Navy, so a repaint of the default Super King Air 350 has been created and released and is available on the AVSIM library.  (Thanks to Tristan "Novawing24" Ayton)

Memorial Video: A memorial video will be produced using the screenshots and videos taken by community members.  We will then provide this memorial video to the Allensworth family and share with the community our gathering.  We appreciate any media you can provide for this effort.  Links to videos (i.e. YouTube) or screenshots can be shared directly in this thread to keep it all in one place.

Flyby's and precision flights are welcome.

If you need to set your system up with the systems we will be using before the flight - please set it up and test it before the flight.  We want everyone to have an enjoyable flight.

This post has been promoted to an article

It seems that FS9 and Xplane flyers are also easy to connect with Simlink.

kp6il.png

Forgive me, I'm not well versed on all this.  If that's the case, then the more the merrier.  The different platforms just won't talk to each other, I imagine?  As long as everyone is enjoying themselves, I don't see a problem with it.

Thanks Chase as I just noticed FSX, FSX-SE and P3D are in the spotlight and anyone could have bypass the instructs for other platforms.

T. Headlam

As I cannot be part of this wonderful tribute due to being abroad as of tomorrow, I take this opportunity to wish all who honour Tom's memory, All The Very Best.

Happy Landings. :good: :good:

i'm interested in participating but i have a few noob questions as i have never really used multiplayer:

1. i grabbed recent AFCADs for these airports from the avsim libraries. is this correct? i notice that KAVL has 2 runways now with the updated AFCAD but one of them has a big X on it i presume that is closed. will people who don't have the update just be operating on that one? does it really make a difference?

2. is there some sort of ATC or anything or just people flying in and out as they see fit? 

3. is there a landing and takeoff at each airport or just passing by the ones in the middle?

4. is there a way to test SimLink prior to the event? i downloaded the stuff and will try to install it tonight but i won't know it is working unless i can find other multiplayer people?

5. what's the appropriate model assignment choice for the T-6.. should i just go with the p51 model that is listed? actually i'm not sure i will use this plane yet as i've only had a few days with it .., i guess it will depends on the conditions..

cheers

-andy crosby

Hello everyone,

Novawing24 here from msFlights.net, I will answer this as best I can.

1. i grabbed recent AFCADs for these airports from the avsim libraries. is this correct? i notice that KAVL has 2 runways now with the updated AFCAD but one of them has a big X on it i presume that is closed. will people who don't have the update just be operating on that one? does it really make a difference?

2. is there some sort of ATC or anything or just people flying in and out as they see fit? 

3. is there a landing and takeoff at each airport or just passing by the ones in the middle?

4. is there a way to test SimLink prior to the event? i downloaded the stuff and will try to install it tonight but i won't know it is working unless i can find other multiplayer people?

5. what's the appropriate model assignment choice for the T-6.. should i just go with the p51 model that is listed? actually i'm not sure i will use this plane yet as i've only had a few days with it .., i guess it will depends on the conditions..

cheers

-andy crosby

1. SimLink allows pilots to use what scenery they wish, and there will invariably be slight differences. Pilots are welcome to use what scenery they see fit and operate accordingly. In the example provided it simply means that some pilots will land on a runway that others may see as closed so we do not foresee an issue.

2. Due to the nature of the flight it was agreed during the planning stages of this flight by Trucker17 and by consensus of all users that ATC services would not be engaged due to the casual nature of the flight. This means that the flight would be more accessible to more virtual pilots, who may not be comfortable working with ATC, that still wish to pay tribute to Tom Allensworth.

3. The plan has been to visit each airport en-route and conduct a full stop landing and departure. This allows for short breaks at each airport and to allow people time to join the event and / or if they have to leave do so on the ground.

4. Our SimLink service runs 24/7. We encourage all pilots to install and test SimLink prior to the flight. To allow you to test our service we have a map running that refreshes every 30-60 seconds to show your aircraft. The map can be found at http://msflights.net/pilots/map/map.html

5. With all model matching your specific aircraft may not be present so the recommendation is to use the model that most closely resembles your aircraft and/or its capabilities (eg: A2A T-6 use SimLink P51, RJR Cessna 310Q use SimLink BE58, Default EH101 use SimLink AS32, etc)

I hope this assists everyone and we are looking forward to this event.

Safe Skies

Novawing24

Thanks for answering this Novawing24. I have been on the road working. and not had the time i had hoped to have to keep everyone in the loop. The flight starts in about 3 hours. Lets hope we have a smooth flight and a good time honoring our beloved and missed friend.

i installed everything but i got stuck at the proxy configuration.

i don't see a field to enter the server address?

LRwhT6N.jpg

cheers

-andy crosby

i got it to work by adding the server as a command line argument.

/remotehost=23.255.202.27

at the end of the shortcut did the trick!

cheers

-andy crosby

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.