Sign in to follow this  
MarioDonick

New to XP 11 and looking for beautiful destinations?

One frequent questions by new XP 11 users, regardless if they intend to stay with XP or if they just want to try XP, is about must-have scenery. Besides the evergrowing payware market, X-Plane is well-known for its freeware community, which not only produces a LOT of scenery, but sometimes also really high-quality scenery. The problem is that there's no easy way to find that for a newcomer. While XP veterans know the important names (such as MisterX6, ISDG, RDesign and others) and where to look, new users need to browse through download sites and dig through forum posts. That's fine if you are searching for a particular airport, but what if you prefer some visual inspiration, like browsing through a travel catalogue?

That's why I created "The Tourist", a section in my blog dedicated to "outstanding" freeware scenery that is confirmed to work without issues in XP 11:

http://flyingxplane.apps-1and1.net/tourist/

If you know X-Plane a bit longer, there's probably nothing new in this list for you, but if you just started to use X-Plane, it might be helpful.

The directory will be updated when new suitable scenery is released, or if download links change. If you think a particular scenery should be included, sent me a PM. Please note that I only include scenery consisting mainly of custom objects; scenery without custom objects or relying on a large number of external libraries is not included.

As of December 6th, the list includes 11 destinations in Europe (incl. GCHI and FMEE) and 23 destinations in North America.

• Upvote 17

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Wow, very nice. Thanks for putting this together. I myself am newcomer to X-Plane 11 and appreciate all the help that I can get.

• Upvote 1

Very nice - thanks!

• Upvote 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Thanks Mario, just what the doctor ordered.

I have already found that some of the Gateway airports are better than some of the existing freeware and not bloated with extra library files.

• Upvote 1

Trevor Golding

thanks for this! this will definitely come in handy!

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

This is really helpful. I hope this post gets pinned so XP new commers like me won't miss. 

• Upvote 1

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Wow...that's very cool! Great initiative! Thanks! The site looks great too!

Thank you Mario.

• Upvote 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Added 8 scenery galleries with links for European destinations, incl. EGGP Liverpool by tonywob (this forum's moderator).

Thanks for this Mario. There were a few there that I hadn't seen before.

In case anyone is interested, here's a link to one of my posts from early this year that has some my favorite sceneries. A lot of new sceneries have come out though between then and now, so I imagine Mario will be covering most of those.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for this Mario. There were a few there that I hadn't seen before.

In case anyone is interested, here's a link to one of my posts from early this year that has some my favorite sceneries. A lot of new sceneries have come out though between then and now, so I imagine Mario will be covering most of those.

Thanks, Jon. At least two by Belga12345 will probably be added (if the mesh doesn't create problems; the description want terrain contours to be off). Will also re-check the others.