Sign in to follow this  
DylanM

Some interesting info from the 2017 ORBX Roadmap

"Top Secret Projects

Now to the juicy stuff! Next year we have a number of top-secret projects being started. All of these are big budget, big investment, risky, adventurous and a little bit scary for us. I know I am going to sound deliberately vague, but understand we are investing deep into six figures for these initiatives so it's important to keep things within the company for now. Don't worry, I think you know how much we as a team love showing you new stuff, so things will be revealed soon enough.

Project A - Massive. A huge investment in new tech, new tools, new apps and new staff. It will surprise many of you, and delight you all. It will focus on both Europe and North America. It will perform like nothing you have experience in your simming life. It will support VR. It will be a VFR flyer's wet dream. It will be sold on OrbxDirect. Oh, and it will be 64-bit.

Project D - The evolutionary next step. Another big $ commitment, worldwide coverage, new tech, new experiences, a strong partner and an established record. Oh, and it will be 64-bit.

Project P - Our continued commitment to our strongest platform and it has a huge backing. More refinement, more performance, more destinations from Orbx than ever before. An old friend gets better, faster, stronger, bigger. Oh, and it will be 64-bit.

Project X - The surprise package. The dark horse. A big $ R&D commitment. Orbx quality where it's needed the most so things finally get to truly shine. Oh, and it's 64-bit.

Project O - Introduced in 2016 this will become your go-to for all things Orbx with more stability, more features, better performance, and continued development so it never gets stale.

How's that? Obscure enough for you? default_ph34r.png"

My guesses:

- Project A - Integration into a new flightsim. Maybe Aerofly?

- Project D - Dovetail FS

- Project P - P3D4 (64 bit!)

- Project X - XP11

- Project O - OrbxDirect updates

• Upvote 6

Agree with the guesses, if we are right that could be fun.

Hans

i was wondering how long it would take for someone to transpose this info from their site.

Hmmm, conspiracy theorists will love this.  How about I start off:

Arrange the project letters and you get DOAXP - Dead On Arrival X-Plane...is he trying to tell us something?

Bah, who knows, I like X-Plane and I'm sticking with it.  :P

• Upvote 3

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Seriously hope it has to do with X-Plane!

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

So long my 1K bucks of addons.... ;) 

I guess it's about time

So, apparently Orbx decided to make a major step and grow to a kind of one-stop all-platform scenery provider.

If our guesses are correct, the most promising initiative from my point of view is A. If Orbx is really investing on Aerofly, that would really be a game changer in this market. All the rest is evolution.

• Upvote 1

Project A and X are the most interesting for me :)

Got me quite curious.

• Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

This is enough to keep me excited for the rest of the year and beyond.  No more OOM?!   I can use my 32 GB of DDR4?!  And Xplane will get Orbx?!   Joy! Joy! Joy!  And I'll go broke, but eh......

What an intriguing list.

Would like some more top notch scenery available in X-Plane, but on the other hand I'm not going to like being poor. :smile:

It would be nice to have some different airports that what they've already covered in MSFS, but considering that ports make the most sense, that's what we'll likely get. What will be really interesting (and I'm speculating based on reading into a mystery post, silly me) is what sort of performance impact FTX airports would have in XP. I started staying away from all but the remote ones in FSX, since they all seemed to have such a huge impact on my computer, but to me XP seems to be able to handle denser scenery without causing my computer to smoke.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I agree with those guesses.  Sweet!  "A" is indeed likely AeroflyFS2, since that covers western USA and Switzerland presently.

• Upvote 2

Any link to the original post?

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

I think I'll stay with P3D 2.4 for now, why update to 3.4 if 64-bit looks to be on the way, plus I still get to use a lot of my FSX planes in 2.4 that no longer work in 3.4! Good news!

Cheers

Martin

As long as they don't let roads run right through houses baked into ground textures I don't mind if they come to Orbx. But please, do not simply convert the FSX stuff to XP. BTW There are quite a few payware quality freeware airports in XP... I doubt if I would buy any Orbx addons for XP.

Main problem with all this is you can't buy stuff for all sims... you have to pick one or you'll go bankrupt.

X-plane 11 is my guess. The 64bit and new staff clues are pushing me in that direction ;)

There is no denying the quality of the product. 

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

It's almost certainly got to be DTG Flight Simulator. Their tech simply won't port to X-Plane in its current state (The scenery system is completely different and won't work with their landclass approach). I don't think AeroflyFS is mature enough.

I'll bite my tongue if I'm wrong though ;-)

• Upvote 3