Sign in to follow this  
DylanM

Some interesting info from the 2017 ORBX Roadmap

No doesnt make sense from Jeroens shot above its almost dark out makes no sense to me - prob be sorted out when they fix all the sky issues 

Rich Sennett

Maybe, but XP11 already has enough addons out there (and gobs of high quality freeware as well) to make it viable.

DTG's sim is going to take years to mature I'd guess, if it's even worth anything when it's released.

XP11 will probably be the first one to mature to the point where it can be the primary sim for some simmers. Many XP10 addons already work, and X-Plane developers who are familiar with the sim can quickly upgrade their existing addons to make them compatible. That said, my experience with X-Plane, having been a "casual" X-Plane user since XP7, is don't jump on board until it hits version x.20...which will probably take a year.

When it comes to OrbX more specifically, as I said it took them several years to convert their entire catalog to P3D v2/v3, and that was a relatively straight forward conversion. With X-Plane, they'll basically have to rebuild each airport from scratch. I can't see myself leaving P3D v3 "in the dust" until (close to) all ~100 OrbX addons I own are converted, and even at just $5 each, assuming a discount for existing users, that's still a $500 investment to switch sims.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

This is very exciting news. I have the XP11 beta, and have flown XP10 primarily the past year, but 64 bit P3D would be fantastic. I currently done own P3D, but I will just hold off on purchasing the current version until hopefully a 64 bit comes out. Hopefully we get some sort of information from LM soon regarding 64 bit regarding a timeframe. I imagine I will hold off purchasing any new addons until I see if anything comes of these 64 bit P3D rumors. I would hate to buy something now just to have to buy the new version or an upgrade fee when 64 bit comes out. It will be a huge advancement to not have to worry about OOMs anymore in the flight sim world.

And of Course, "Project A" did turn out to be Aerofly.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I strongly hope, specially now with the new SDK released, not only scenery, but also aircraft developers turn their heads seriously towards Aerofly FS 2.

IMO, FSX, P3D and most probably DTG if based on the same old core flight dynamics, weather and other systems are history. X-Plane 11 is very promising, and Laminar has now more than good reasons to respond to the overwhelming user community response to the release of XP11 beta, but Aerofly FS 2 has, IMO, all of the chances of also becoming a dream platform to develop even if more GA / VFR oriented...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I strongly hope, specially now with the new SDK released, not only scenery, but also aircraft developers turn their heads seriously towards Aerofly FS 2.

IMO, FSX, P3D and most probably DTG if based on the same old core flight dynamics, weather and other systems are history. X-Plane 11 is very promising, and Laminar has now more than good reasons to respond to the overwhelming user community response to the release of XP11 beta, but Aerofly FS 2 has, IMO, all of the chances of also becoming a dream platform to develop even if more GA / VFR oriented...

Lionheart has grabbed the new SDK and says he was waiting for it so he could complete his transfer of at least one of his planes into Aerofly.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Lionheart has grabbed the new SDK and says he was waiting for it so he could complete his transfer of at least one of his planes into Aerofly.

It would help a lot if addon planes are being released for Aerofly. The default ones are too simple. I wonder though: aren't those sims completely different....? Could it be that easy to convert an FSX plane to Aerofly (or XP)?

I wish Aerofly would have a way to add OSM based autogen, like XP, because right now the empty photoreal is holding me back. I like XP a lot more when it comes to all the detail and the sim parts but having an easy to pick up sim with photoreal AND autogen would be nice. Adding photoreal with OSM to XP is a chore and results often aren't too good. I'd like an out of the box solution like Aerofly, even if it only covers parts of the world (in P3D I flew solely in Norway for years).

My problem is that none of the sims have the complete package I want but I don't like to use and maintain various sims... I think a lot of people have this problem. And yes, of course I know you can use a lot of sims and switch between them all the time but I just don't like to do that.

As long as the photoreal is color corrected and looks real, I'll rather live with the lack of autogen than having to live with the artificial looking world of P3D and XP. But, with no real aircraft simulation yet, AFS2 gets little use.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

IMHO the future of Flight sims is in VR. If you have not tried it you cannot understand where I and those who have are coming from. It's difficult to describe the feeling of being in the cockpit rather than in front of a monitor. Some who have tried VR were, it seems, quick to disregard it as not ready! They are indeed partly right  and/or right with certain aspects of VR. It is new and the FS Apps like Flyinside are Beta and a work in progress. I have however used it along with the Oculus Rift CV1 version. Found some work around methods and tweaks to make a very flyable. The only problem i see is the fact that some folks actually get motion sickness when in the VR world.  I had a dozen people try VR Xmas eve after dinner. I just wanted there reaction to a VR look see. All were amazed at the realism and the feeling of being there. Those who got sick in a few minutes really felt it. My daughter reacted very much like when we flew to Disney World a few years back, somewhat queezy. A few of my friends who tried and quit FSM's before FSX even came out as being too toy like Claimed they will give FS's with VR another good look and asked if I would let them come back again for another session, which of course I agreed to. What are friends for?

A new much more robust round of hardware will be arriving shortly. AMD's intro of new CPU's and Platforms will push the big guy to compete and lower some prices. Competition is good. Same goes for graphics I just installed an ATI RX-480 and it was needed to use Oculus VR according to their test. It's graphics power was a surprise. I expected less to be honest. An ATI R9-390 4Gb would not pass the Oculus test. I paid more for it!

After the little demo I had arranged I landed in Boston, it was off the charts in VR. It makes me feel like my monitor ( A BenQ 1ms wide 30" or whatever, I forget here, monitor.) sucks. You have a different perspective when approaching the runway, it's so real you want to bring her down by hand. Hard to describe. The tweaks I found and work arounds I found are posted on Flyinside-fsx website if you have any interest.

Happy new year!

BaldyC

• Upvote 1

Well, the motion sickness just adds to the reality. My time flying small GA aircarft in the real world always made me sick - even as a pilot. :) Sunny Florida can be a bumby places to fly.

VR is OK, but the tech is still lacking for flight simming. I didn't like having stuff on my head, and its not very practical when you have a home cockpit setup.

• Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

• Upvote 1

Devons rig