Sign in to follow this  

Aerofly FS 2: the good, the bad and the ugly

I want an ATC system in AeroFly FS2 before I want a weather engine, and I would be quite happy if it was similar to the systems used in Flight Unlimited 3 and FSX/P3D. Contrary to certain opinions, I enjoy interacting with default ATC in P3D, but that's probably because I am only bothered about the basic interactions (Ground/Tower/Approach frequencies, and then Flight Following updates in VFR mode). So long as it works properly, and there is no "stupid AI behaviour in the first 20 minutes" like we see in FSX and P3D.....then it's all good :smile:

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

ATC in FSX/P3D is quite an achievement when you think about it. Sure, it could need som updating, but the only real annoyance is when I get vectored into a mountain on approach :)

• Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I predict that the Dash 8, when it is released, will satisfy a lot of us looking for deeper systems in the planes. The official forum posts back in October sounded very promising.

I want an ATC system in AeroFly FS2 before I want a weather engine

To each his own.  :wink: I can see the fun of an ATC option, I also used default ATC in FSX/P3D a lot for VFR (and lately ProATC/X for my Airbus) but still... just like a flightsim needs planes, airports and air to fly in, imho it also needs weather to fly in. Weather is one of the main things that makes or keeps flying interesting. But again, to each his own. We will see when iPacs comes up with something.  :wink:

I predict that the Dash 8, when it is released, will satisfy a lot of us looking for deeper systems in the planes. The official forum posts back in October sounded very promising.

In all honesty... I didn't know about a Dash. I will look for it in the iPacs forum (where I still can't post...  :mad: ).

EDIT

Found it. http://www.ipacs.de/forum/showthread.php/7564-Bombardier-Dash-8Q-400

I usually don't use these kind of words, so forgive me, but DAMN that looks nice!!! Those screenshots look like photographs! This could well be a game (pun intended) changer!  :smile:

Yup. I think (I hope) It'll be a direction indicator for the sim that will help calm down some of the "systems" people.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Wow, this is also the first time that I have seen the AeroFly FS2 version of the Dash 8Q-400, and it does indeed look stunning!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I understand the Dash will be DLC you will have to purchase: I don't suppose anyone already heard what the cost will be? And I suppose it will be ready when it is ready and no dates have been given yet?

BTW I finally have access to the IPACS forum! Yay! I posted my 'review' over there too now.

Wow, this is also the first time that I have seen the AeroFly FS2 version of the Dash 8Q-400, and it does indeed look stunning!

And there goes an assumption on my part. For some reason I thought because I and a lot of others saw it quite a while ago that the information was common knowledge by now.  :Black Eye:

(though to be fair, I've mentioned it several times....)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I want an ATC system in AeroFly FS2 before I want a weather engine, and I would be quite happy if it was similar to the systems used in Flight Unlimited 3 and FSX/P3D.

Remember being impressed by the weather generator in old Flight Unlimited.

Look for raindrops:

• Upvote 2

Where have you posted your review? I can't see it anywhere.

On the official IPACS forum: you should be able to see it now: turns out all posts have to be approved by a mod. That forum is very well protected...

(though to be fair, I've mentioned it several times....)

You should know by now that flightsimmers are bad readers.  :wink: However, I do remember you mentioning the plane but I didn't pay any attention to it until I read it again in this topic. Sorry...  :wink:

This evening, if time permits, I will install the SDK so I can use the DR400: looks like a nice plane, the kind of plane I am missing right now in AFS (when it comes to low wings and cockpit configuration).

I'm always amused by the progression of opinion regarding new flight sims and addons:

1. Has anybody tried X?

2. Wow! X is incredible!!

3. Oh wait, X is not finished but it's getting those options soon.

4. Uh, X is still missing a lot of options and I'll just wait.

5. Whatever happened to adding those features to X?

6. Has anybody tried X recently?

• Upvote 4

Remember being impressed by the weather generator in old Flight Unlimited.

Look for raindrops:

The path not taken......

Devons rig

I loved the dynamic weather in Flight Unlimited 3. Whilst this did not have the range of cloud types that it should have done (in other words...if Electronic Arts had allowed Looking Glass Studios to complete full development of the game), I remember just sitting in my plane at San Francisco International airport with rain hammering down on the roof, those realistic raindrops running down my windscreen, and watching the ghostly images of AI airliners in the mist as they departed, arrived, and taxiied to the gates. Very atmospheric stuff.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I'm always amused by the progression of opinion regarding new flight sims and addons:

1. Has anybody tried X?

2. Wow! X is incredible!!

3. Oh wait, X is not finished but it's getting those options soon.

4. Uh, X is still missing a lot of options and I'll just wait.

5. Whatever happened to adding those features to X?

6. Has anybody tried X recently?

Like I said earlier, it will be fascinating to come back in two years or so and look at this and other threads. The numbers seem interesting and are either good, bad, or maybe unexplainable, depending on one's predilections.

9rA5la.jpg

Devons rig