Sign in to follow this  
whoispankaj

LES Saab 340?

Max is the first choice modeling tool for most of the high-end developers in the sim-world. In order to attract them,  a slick workflow is needed. A nativ export plugin for Max is essential. I do not think this means Blender support is cancelled.

Hi Folks,

Unwrapping/Mapping Textures has to be the most unpleasant and tedious task of modeling anything - my least favorite part of modeling - by far...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

As far as I can tell the Blender and Sketchup plugins are maintained by third-party developers (and occasionally are patched by LR). I can imagine these projects will continue to be updated.

I'd argue that 3DS Max is simply the first choice for high-end developers because that's likely what most courses teach and for some reason Blender is frowned upon although it's just as powerful in most cases. But us here in the flight simulator world wouldn't know what a flame-war between competing products is now would we ;-)

Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as to say that 3dsmax is the first choice for high end dev's.  Out of all the dev's I know, only 1 uses 3dsmax.

As far as I can tell the Blender and Sketchup plugins are maintained by third-party developers (and occasionally are patched by LR). I can imagine these projects will continue to be updated.

I'd argue that 3DS Max is simply the first choice for high-end developers because that's likely what most courses teach and for some reason Blender is frowned upon although it's just as powerful in most cases. But us here in the flight simulator world wouldn't know what a flame-war between competing products is now would we ;-)

i think most peope dont like blender because ususally you can sort of find your way around a 3d modeling software if you know or other. Eg. for me i used Catia during my university days, in the first company they had ProE. While different, it was still pretty similar and about 1 week of fiddeling around i got prolific in about 90% of the tools i need. I think that is the difference with blender. its workflow is so "blender" you really are only good in blender. And if you want to work in the professional field usually blender is not that prolific as 3dsmax. Blender is strong in the independent and freeware scene because as you mentioned it is very very powerful and cheap.

A friend of mine runs a 3d agency that does commercial work for companies and they use exclusivley 3dsmax (as do most in that industry). he always tells me that he gets applications with blender experience and while they have an understanding of modeling, in 90% of the cases he needs to send them to 2-3 3ds courses to get them to able to work in 3dsmax. He is definately one of the persons that frowns upon blender because for him it just costs extra money to get people using the software of the commercial world.

think most peope dont like blender because ususally you can sort of find your way around a 3d modeling software if you know or other. Eg. for me i used Catia during my university days, in the first company they had ProE

I'm one of those who is very comfortable in Blender and I can work very fast and know the keyboard shortcuts and have a workflow I like etc. The first time I used Blender it was a scary experience, but slowly it all came into place and IMO it is one of the best pieces of software I have (and it's opensource).  I decided to give 3DS Max a try to see if it offers anything that could improve my 3D models, but I found the interface confusing coming from Blender. Within a few hours I was able to create simple models, but I never put anymore time into it and the trial eventually expired. 

I think GoranM proves that it's not really the tools that you decide to use that are important, but the person behind them. The Saab is still IMO one of the best looking aircraft in X-Plane.  :smile:

@Goran why do you prefer Modo now?

The only thing in Blender, that I sometimes wonder if it could be easier, is unwrap textures. (apart the xplane2blender export bugs)

Knowing the work of Goran and J Gregory I am certain it is the painstaking detail attention to the systems modeling. The Citation is a complex aircraft, probably more so than the Saab.

When you see screenshots of a project, keep in mind that you are seeing less than the tip of an iceberg. Its quick and fairly easy (comparatively speaking) to make a nice 3D model of an aircraft. Getting it to work right is where the meat is.

Jan

Oh absolutely, I have been a customer for a while! I just wanted to steer the conversation into a more productive direction and maybe get a snippet of info from Goran ;)

Any questions, class?

Thanks for elaborating. Being a software developer I definitely feel your pain!

I think GoranM proves that it's not really the tools that you decide to use that are important, but the person behind them. The Saab is still IMO one of the best looking aircraft in X-Plane.  :smile:

Wow!  Very much appreciated, Tony!  

@Goran why do you prefer Modo now?

The only thing in Blender, that I sometimes wonder if it could be easier, is unwrap textures. (apart the xplane2blender export bugs)

First, it was the layout.  I like the organisation of the different tools and features.  Like Tony said about his experiences with 3dsmax, I found it too "busy".  I'm not trying to discredit Autodesk at all.  They do make some great apps for 3D modelling. Maybe I'm just too much of a fairy to get into it.  Modo just felt comfortable to use for me.  And I was pleasantly surprised at how easy some things were to do.  

And 2nd, it's the tools.  Some of the tools will shave hours off my workflow if I was using another program.

Thanks for elaborating. Being a software developer I definitely feel your pain!

I might make a video showing how I unwrap and map objects, so you can see the "fun".  

It's not that bad, once you get the hack of marking seams or using "project from view" and "stitch" it works well ;-)

I might make a video showing how I unwrap and map objects, so you can see the "fun".  

Ha ha, I'd like to see that. Always love to learn tricks from the pros (and understand their pain).