Sign in to follow this  
baxterbj

REX soft Clouds, AS16, ASCA, ENVTEX

Im currently using ADAMS PTA 20-10 with the fantastic PTA tool by Yuri, what a revelation in Flight Simulation, previous to purchasing ENVTEX, AS16 and ASCA, I was using only REX 4 TD soft Clouds.

My question is: Am I safe to uninstall REX 4, if I'm happy with the environment and Cloud reproduction from ENVTEX, AS2016 and ASCA, or do they all work together?

I still have REX 4 running in the background although I have unchecked most boxes.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Regards Brian

BJ from OZ

Hi Brian,

REX only installs what you have selected and installed. Once you have done that then that's it, nothing else happens, whether you continue to have it running or not. REX does not 'run in the background' in the way that the AS16/ASCA combo does (with or without ENVTEX integration). So, yes, it's perfectly safe to uninstall REX. Just remember that any installed textures from REX will remain until you overwrite them with something else, say, from ENVTEX.

For example, let's say you are experimenting with different Sky textures and the influence they have on the appearance of the sim while using a particular PTA Preset. Currently you are using those provided by ENVTEX but want to try a few different sets from REX. Simply uncheck everything in REX except Sky, make your selections from Dawn/Day/Dusk and then install. The previously installed ENVTEX Sky textures will then be overwritten by your REX selection. If you wish to revert to the ENVTEX Sky set then install from ENVTEX again. The same applies to any other textures, including clouds - just check or uncheck selections to determine what you want to be installed at any one time from either REX or ENVTEX. If you uninstall both products the last installed texture sets will persist unless you have chosen to restore any backups created.

Regards,

Mike

Simply uncheck everything in REX except Sky, make your selections from Dawn/Day/Dusk and then install. The previously installed ENVTEX Sky textures will then be overwritten by your REX selection. If you wish to revert to the ENVTEX Sky set then install from ENVTEX again.

Thanks Mike,

That was explained really well, appreciated very much.

I thought I may have been using extra resources that I could well conserve, I think Ill leave it all installed and choose the best from all I have at my finger tips.

Regards

Brian

• Upvote 1

Mike, Brian,

Do PTA and RSP provide the same function as REX 4 and Active Sky?  If so, is one set of products better than the other?

Regards,

Raj

Do PTA and RSP provide the same function as REX 4 and Active Sky? If so, is one set of products better than the other?

Hi Raj,

Short answer is no to your first question and the second doesn't apply since they accomplish different things.

PTA and, to a lesser extent, RSP manipulate certain parameters programmed in several P3D Shader files thereby altering the appearance (lighting) of the various textured components of the simulator. PTA is currently acknowledged as being the goto utility and is subject to ongoing development by its enthusiastic author. It is also fully compatible with the latest versions of P3D. Many Presets are now available making it easy to use for those, like me, who prefer to stay away from all that tweaking. If your goal is to transform the appearance of P3D for the better then, without a doubt, PTA will change your life!

REX 4 simply provides alternative environment textures and some sounds (Clouds, Sky, Lightning, etc.) which, following user selection and installation, will overwrite those same textures and sound files previously present in the simulator. This provides great flexibility of choice depending on your selections which can be as wide or restrictive as you want them to be. You define the categories you want REX to install and select the texture components within those categories.

Active Sky is a supremely sophisticated weather application which has the ability to display real weather dynamically as exists in any part of the world. It's features are many and wide, but suffice it to say that once experienced you are unlikely to choose another weather generator although, it must be said, there are several other less comprehensive alternative applications available which strive to achieve similar results. Active Sky uses those weather elements you may have installed or altered in appearance using REX 4 or PTA/RSP to depict weather as accurately as is currently possible in the simulator.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Raj,
Short answer is no to your first question and the second doesn't apply since they accomplish different things.

Thanks Mike, I even understand it better through your explanation.

Regards

Brian

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.