Sign in to follow this  
Yeller5276

FedEx Paint Request

Work in progress.  I'll release a nice clean version of the Flying Tiger FedEx plane then I'm gonna try my hand at adding 30 years and 70k hours to the plane and make it look like the red headed step child that FedEx treated it as. :-)

Looking good Brian!

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Thanks for putting the effort creating this livery gentlemen. I will be downloading and using the Fedex livery pretty soon!

Work in progress.  I'll release a nice clean version of the Flying Tiger FedEx plane then I'm gonna try my hand at adding 30 years and 70k hours to the plane and make it look like the red headed step child that FedEx treated it as. :-)

32822982952_7c463ee58f_c.jpg

Brian..looks good!!

If you want a crack at any other retro paints (which would be fictitious) look here: http://www.avsim.com/topic/504443-a-couple-of-fictional-repaint-requests/

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Brian..looks good!!

If you want a crack at any other retro paints (which would be fictitious) look here: http://www.avsim.com/topic/504443-a-couple-of-fictional-repaint-requests/

I'll think about it, as Steve and I were talking about yesterday the retro repaints are particularly harder to work with as photo samples are notoriously horrible quality.  Hoping to upload this first of the couple retro Federal Expresses here later tonight.  Then I want to get with Steve to show me how to make the plane look like its been completely neglected :-) I'm sure thats going to take me a few weeks as I'm going back on reserve in a couple days and I'll be busy til 20 March its looking like.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Ok so the initial Retro repaint is awaiting Avsim approval for those interested.  Heres a preview of it.  It got Steves approval :-)  

32621833940_1be231f89b_c.jpg

32621832060_4eb53ea16f_c.jpg

32621836420_47c5d14d9c_c.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

The next step is to put 30 years and 70k hours onto it.  By accident got the textures to come out its been faded.  Steve knew what happened...I did not.  So I'm calling it my functional accident.  We will call that step 1 done.  Steve is working on applying dirt (he's AWESOME!) I'll try my hand at it soon enough.  Calling this a team effort now.  No idea when we will push the weathered one out.

32159533244_d62690a4dc_c.jpg

Notice the fading in comparison to the right out of the paint shop look.

Serious mad props to Steve for invaluable input and patience.  He didn't even need to respond to my first pestering messages but he did.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

It has been approved and is in the library for download.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

It has been approved and is in the library for download.

Thanks for the fast uploads Brian N!   Brian T and I will make the retro FedEx like you see her in most of the pics of her....very "weathered" Hehe.

Notice the fading in comparison to the right out of the paint shop look.

Serious mad props to Steve for invaluable input and patience.  He didn't even need to respond to my first pestering messages but he did.

It was fun sharing some painting tips with you Brian, I think we'll push out some nice paints in the future.  :wink:

I was a little sketchy on how we got that fade going, but the end result is all that matters, LOL.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

So here is clean version....

pcPGzf.jpg

Here is a little dirt work...(Dont mind the solid dark area by the junction of the fuse and vertical stab...I'm working with a few adjustments to get the right look)...the streaks are what I'm going for.

I also added a bit more fading.

5kOrR0.jpg

I'l be reducing the panel and rivet lines as I refine the final version...they are there now just to highlight the areas where dirt streaks "can" be.

• Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Thanks Steve and Brian - sorry about the delayed reply (house move and distinct lack of connectivity...). That's something I'll look into doing. I've a few weeks in the hanger now while other things get sorted out, so will give me something to occupy (more of) my time...

Again, reflecting probably what everyone thinks - thank you both (and all the other talented painters) for your time and efforts with these liveries. It's massively appreciated and adds so much to the community.

All the best,

Rich

Am I missing something?

I see posts elsewhere of this jet in modern FedEx liveries but do not see it in the PMDG Ops Center.

spacer.png

Am I missing something?

I see posts elsewhere of this jet in modern FedEx liveries but do not see it in the PMDG Ops Center.

No, didn't miss anything.....its not going to appear in the Ops Center as its a user-created repaint.

Find it here Chris:

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxacrp&DLID=198532

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Steve is A LOT faster at this and better than me.  My little contribution to this so far is this.  I applied brake dust to the wheels.  The engine nacelles have some weathering done to them also.  You can tell if you look closer that some wheels have more dust  on them than others also.

32867552752_b5dd0d7846_o.png

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Steve is A LOT faster at this and better than me.  My little contribution to this so far is this.  I applied brake dust to the wheels.  The engine nacelles have some weathering done to them also.  You can tell if you look closer that some wheels have more dust  on them than others also.

Looking good Brian!  I like the miss-matched nacelle panels.....just like you'd see in real life!   Its too bad you can customize the individual wheel hubs (the center cap of course)

I'm working on the Lufthansa Cargo by request from another simmer who's contributed to the hobby (Created the Linda file for the 747)

Check it out here:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/503768-request-lufthansa-cargo/?p=3580036

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Ok so the  mix match nacelle panels Steve is refering to you can't actually see, it was from a different picture I sent to Steve himself.  However the bands on the picture post #43 are from using a incorrect spec image.  A lot of how I add textures quickly is copy paste and I think I was originally planning on doing a GE repaint before I decided the more interesting route would be to go with the "Original" Pratts.  Soooooo, if you have those bands that make the image off a bit go into the PMDG House colors PW texture folder(/SimObjects/Airplanes/PMDG747-400/texture.pmdgPW).  Copy pmdg_747X_engines_spec.dds and paste it in the the texture.fxretro folder.  My deepest apologies....live and learn.

Here a couple images of what I'm trying to do with the Retro repaint before I go work on the first two releases I did.  Its kinda my test bed/beater.  Steve has been teaching me how to get a good weathering on a base layer so lots and lots of learning and a steep learning curve.  Steves been surprisingly eager to teach and patient.  But the first two are the engines.  I'm pretty set they are good enough to keep.  I need to fix the belly texture, but the rest is  :good: .

32682964170_4b08002baa_o.png

32219370524_c521ac1b3c_o.png

Why the mix match of panels?  Because sometimes a crack develops on the nacelle and they will replace it with an unpainted one until the aircraft can go into a heavy check and get painted.  On a picture Steve and I saw there was replaced panel on two engines so decided to roll with it.  Why the grime in streaks?  My guess its trapped water and dirt that finally escapes at a few hundred miles an hour.  The streak is an actual representation of some of the engines I've seen at work.

Next up is to redo the cargo doors on this plane.  I've been working with a blank aircraft to find a point where I'm comfortable it looks authentic enough.

32682961280_6329812ef5_o.png

I've added grim to the door seal, the latches and a couple drains.  Pretty sure this door is done.  The rest will follow somewhat of a similar resemblance.

All the weathering I'm adding to my base template is from pictures from work.  Replicating them accurately enough along with my learning curve is taking time though.  Hopefully soon I'll be satisfied with the old bird to release it and work on the 6 planned releases I plan on the FedEx planes.

beta.gif   

My Liveries