Sign in to follow this  
OAL809

Traffic Flow Management TCF (TFM Convective Forecast) is now available AWC

The NWS Aviation Weather Center (AWC) has begun production of the Traffic Flow Management (TFM) Convective Forecast (TCF). TCF is a high-confidence graphical representation of forecasted convection meeting specific criteria of coverage, intensity, and echo top height. The TCF is used by air traffic management decision makers in support of convective weather mitigation strategies within the National Airspace System. The TCF may be accessed at http://www.AviationWeather.gov/tcf. A training package may be found at http://tfmlearning.fly.faa.gov/.

what exactly is this?

weather +density of air traffic?

what exactly is this?

Honestly? Just another convective product, but it's going to be the go-to source for any traffic flow management (TFM) discussions. There's a lot of bartering and trading that goes on where the airlines will actually hang one flight out to dry while another gets preference. In other words, if I have 4 planes going into ORD but convection is causing issues, I can "trade" some delay on one flight to lessen the delay on another via swaps. It's complicated, but there are a bunch of presentations on how it works (also, the dude who voices this one is the guy who gave me my tour of Potomac TRACON 7ish years ago).

weather +density of air traffic?

Mostly just the weather, particularly when it's in areas that would affect mass traffic flows: into and out of major hubs, and along major volume areas (storms in Kansas City Center's airspace, as an example).

Kyle Rodgers

thank you Kyle amazing as always!No it is clear.
Btw i have seen many videos from you from youtube.Actually i want to ask if there is something similar to atcscc ois system internationally or locally (e.x special escape routes db due to weather,traffic management advisories etc in Europe or South African airspace or generally everywhere across the globe)

thank you Kyle amazing as always!No it is clear.

Btw i have seen many videos from you from youtube.Actually i want to ask if there is something similar to atcscc ois system internationally or locally (e.x special escape routes db due to weather,traffic management advisories etc in Europe or South African airspace or generally everywhere across the globe)

Depends on the country/area. The NAT area, as an example is a pretty organized region with many entities below it, and an organized presence (the tracks, and so on). The FAA OIS site has an international section, but it isn't often used. Apart from the EU, the rest of the world really doesn't have the levels of traffic and coordination seen elsewhere.

Kyle Rodgers

Yes i have seen the intl page and i know about the NATs too.
Btw i am looking for sites with that information like faa ois thats why i asked :wink:

Anyway thank you very much !

There is one in Europe, it's called the called the NOP (Network Operations Portal)  by CFMU (Central Flow Management Unit)/ Eurocontrol.
Access is restricted to the real juicy stuff (only airlines and maybe ground handling have access is via a user account and a one time key that changes every 15 seconds.) 

But there is a large portion of it that is available to the public.  https://www.public.nm.eurocontrol.int/PUBPORTAL/gateway/spec/index.html

Its a flight simmers dream if you have access as I once did.  - if it flies through any part of European airspace, its flight plan will be in the system. it offers info into management flows, flow rates, restrictions, flight plan reroute options and a whole host of other functions that i probably don't know about now.

In Europe if a ATC sector has an issue, The flight (if its still on the ground) is issued a (CTOT) Cleared to Take Off Time (Slot), the plane has a 15 min window to take off at that time so that it arrives into the affected airspace/airport at a time based on the EET/speed of the aircraft as filed on the flight plan. If the airspace is closed, then the flight plan is suspended until its re filed around the airspace restriction. (noted on the flight suspended message) also on the site above on the left hand side listed under AIM. 

Hope this helps

Liam
(Former) Navigation Services Officer/Tactical Flight Planner, British Airways Citi Express 

• Upvote 1

Liam Reynolds - EGNS

sig_smaller.jpg

Youtube Channel

Depends on the country/area. The NAT area, as an example is a pretty organized region with many entities below it, and an organized presence (the tracks, and so on). The FAA OIS site has an international section, but it isn't often used. Apart from the EU, the rest of the world really doesn't have the levels of traffic and coordination seen elsewhere.

There are traffic management procedures and facilities in place outside of Europe and the States.

There are traffic management procedures and facilities in place outside of Europe and the States.

My earlier statements did not say that they don't exist. It said the levels of traffic aren't the same, and alluded to the less organized fashion to explain the lack of obvious publicly facing resources available.

Note the multiple references to 'organized' and to known resources.

Kyle Rodgers

There is one in Europe, it's called the called the NOP (Network Operations Portal)  by CFMU (Central Flow Management Unit)/ Eurocontrol.

Access is restricted to the real juicy stuff (only airlines and maybe ground handling have access is via a user account and a one time key that changes every 15 seconds.) 

But there is a large portion of it that is available to the public.  https://www.public.nm.eurocontrol.int/PUBPORTAL/gateway/spec/index.html

Its a flight simmers dream if you have access as I once did.  - if it flies through any part of European airspace, its flight plan will be in the system. it offers info into management flows, flow rates, restrictions, flight plan reroute options and a whole host of other functions that i probably don't know about now.

In Europe if a ATC sector has an issue, The flight (if its still on the ground) is issued a (CTOT) Cleared to Take Off Time (Slot), the plane has a 15 min window to take off at that time so that it arrives into the affected airspace/airport at a time based on the EET/speed of the aircraft as filed on the flight plan. If the airspace is closed, then the flight plan is suspended until its re filed around the airspace restriction. (noted on the flight suspended message) also on the site above on the left hand side listed under AIM. 

Hope this helps

Liam

(Former) Navigation Services Officer/Tactical Flight Planner, British Airways Citi Express 

amazing post! Although,It looks a bit complicated where can i find flows management,weather avoidance routes etc?

amazing post! Although,It looks a bit complicated where can i find flows management,weather avoidance routes etc?

Here's an example of FAA-side stuff:

I'm sure Liam has a better resource for over in the EU, though the concepts are likely the same. The video after this one covers how to plan for delays in PFPX (here).

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks. 

You need to keep an eye on the AIM (its link is 5 lines long! - Left hand side of the link above, 8th block down.) all info regarding airports and airspace is listed there. 

If there are issues with airspace being overloaded, or an airport needs to slow the arrival rate, then that's when you will be told what time you can take off and issue the flight with a slot. 

If they need to reroute you, the aircraft operator may get issued with a re-route option, with a time limit to its validity, it's all based on real time info and is sent direct to the owner of the flight plan. 

In the AIM you will find info that's live for the day for instance, Spain was having a sector overload today so they put a restriction of handling x amount of aircraft per hour... so they issued this. 

THE FOLLOWING SCENARIO HAS BEEN APPLIED FROM 1120 UNTIL 1400 UTC.

FL5DGU:(REG ID:FL5DGU18)

------------------------

DEPS:LEAL, LEAM, LELC, LEVC

DEST:ANY

NOT VIA SECTOR LECMDGU

REFILE BELOW FL345 UNTIL BLV

DELAY THRESHOLD VALUE 20 MINUTES

NMOC - BRUSSELS#

If you have a flight plan in the system that has a relevant flight related they will send you that message, via the method that you filed the flight plan. it's the responsibility of the operator to refile accordingly your (ATC Slot will have the ID:FL5DGU18 .) so then you go look at the AIM, find the reason for the slot delay and then re file as needed. 

I was just browsing around on the site, and at the top, i found this under Initial Network Plan (right at the top in the middle) its for the next day, based on current issues that may arise.

https://www.public.nm.eurocontrol.int/PUBPORTAL/gateway/spec/_res/20170219/20170218-165643.pdf?APPID=initial_network_plan

Hope this gives you an idea.  - The AIM/ANM is the on going live info.

Liam

and then right at the bottom of the PDF i linked above i found this gem of info... https://www.public.nm.eurocontrol.int/PUBPORTAL/gateway/spec/_res/1802_1430_1902.pdf

Liam Reynolds - EGNS

sig_smaller.jpg

Youtube Channel

*random post coming up*

Kyle has answers for everything.

Kyle knows the secrets of the universe. (Not the book)

Kyle is smart.

Be like Kyle

*Random post complete*

Kyle knows the secrets of the universe. (Not the book)

The answer is 42.

Be like Kyle

I'd advise against it.  :P

Kyle Rodgers