Sign in to follow this  
Carlos Amaral

Will this laptop run NGX?

Hello,
I have a 2013 laptop with this specs:
Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ 2.40-3.40 Ghz
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 740M 2gb
12 GB RAM DD3RL (1600 MHZ)

I can run smoothly FSX in medium low specs with default/freeware scenery and also Piper Pa46T Jetprop from Carenado as well as their 182 RG and A2A 172 "trainer".
My question now is: do you think I could run NGX with this specs smoothly?
Thank you!

Best regards!

According to PMDG product page for the NGX, and the fact that FSX does alright, it looks like you've got the minimum requirements.  However, you do not meet the higher recommended system specs, so as you say you will be sticking to medium low settings.

Product page: https://www.precisionmanuals.com/pages/product/FSX/ngx8900.html

Dan Downs KCRP

I used to run the PMDG 737 on FSX a few years back on an old Toshiba laptop. For me I found that it destroyed my FPS. But I was also a stickler for setting the sliders to the right. So I guess it also depends on in sim settings etc!

Hi Folks,

Do any laptops really measure up - to sustain any kind of decent OC - you need refrigerator sized heat sinks and that kind of real estate just isn't available in a laptop ???

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi Folks,

Do any laptops really measure up - to sustain any kind of decent OC - you need refrigerator sized heat sinks and that kind of real estate just isn't available in a laptop ???

Regards,

Scott

Agreed, I guess it depends what you use the laptop for. I only used a laptop because I used it for work too. And that was an $800-1000 laptop. If you are gonna use the computer for flying and gaming purposed only then I would recommend spending the money and building a decent desktop computer. Just my opinion tho 

Hi Folks,

Regards,

Scott

I seriously beg to differ on that comment.  To be fair, laptops don't typically perform as well as desktops in the flight simulation arena, but with the advent of faster cpus and now gpus competing at near same performance levels as their desktop counterparts, the line is blurred between which form factor to use.  I won't reiterate my specs, as they are in my signature, but this is a 2017 setup and for performance, it holds it's own, without sacrifice.  My overclocked i7-7700k doesn't need "refrigerator" sized heatsinks, just sufficient space beneath to drawn in enough cooler air.  Even with my previous rig, running an i7-4790k and a GTX-980M, I could run a sim at moderate to high settings without too much trouble.  Both rigs use a desktop processor and the newer one uses the Pascal gpu, as opposed to the maxwell.

The OP's specs are decent for running FSX or any other sim, but there will be a greater sacrifice on visuals, and he may be able to get the NGX to run, but I couldn't gaurantee good odds that an OOM would not occur.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Hi Folks,

LOL - it was a question - not a statement - thanks for info...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I used to run FSX on a Toshiba Qosmio X770 with an i7 @ 3.1 with turbo engaged and GTX 560M 1,5gb. It wasn't so much the hardware as heat dissipation that was the issue. It ran fine for a few minutes then the temps got too hot and it had to throttle, obviously killing the fps. Then it ran fine again for a while and so forth.