Sign in to follow this  
LevelMind

ATC reporting on ground time - Why?

As the title suggests: Why does ATC sometimes report your on ground time, or your landing time, for example: "ABC123, taxi gate 1, on ground 35 (meaning for example, 15:35z)"?

Thanks in advance!

Is this off a tower frequency?  You could be hearing, "Taxi to the gate on ground .35."  Which means frequency 121.35

Interesting... haven't heard that before. The most logical explanation is the one @FormerSF3 just gave.

Another (and this is just pure conjecture!) is that if there's heavy ground traffic and/or delays for taxiing, it could be a courtersy call to the flight crew, to expect a certain delay or expect an estimate of e.g 35 minutes from touchdown to the gate.
I have no idea, if such thing is actually being done, but it could be a nice 'gesture' and valuable information for the flight crew to know, that they should expect delays with regards to the various procedures being executed on board... 

Again - pure guesswork. Would be interesting to know what it means... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

2 hours ago, FormerSF3 said:

Is this off a tower frequency?  You could be hearing, "Taxi to the gate on ground .35."  Which means frequency 121.35

No, it seems to be procedure in some caribbean countries for tower to say your 'on' time after landing and also your 'off' time as they hand you to departure control.  Why? I haven't a clue.  That's just their procedure.  They also ask you for your registration after landing.  Why? I haven't a clue either.  I just acknowledge or answer them.

12 hours ago, KevinAu said:

No, it seems to be procedure in some caribbean countries for tower to say your 'on' time after landing and also your 'off' time as they hand you to departure control.  Why? I haven't a clue.  That's just their procedure.  They also ask you for your registration after landing.  Why? I haven't a clue either.  I just acknowledge or answer them.

Can confirm. I work at a major Caribbean airport and the tower will almost always report your on and off times as well as requesting registration after landing.

It is an ICAO procedure. Also you will hear "Speedbird 2578 airborne at 55". for the same reasons.