Sign in to follow this  
Kevin D

svchost.exe causes high CPU usage issue on my PC

Hi guys,

I've upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for three months. Since then, there is no problem with my PC at all and I use it daily.

However, today after powering up it, I noticed it ran slower than other days. I open up Task Manager and found that one svchost.exe process (many of them were running there) was using a lot of my CPU resource.

I can kill it and of course, I have killed it, however, after a while, it automatically starts and begin to eating my CPU.

What should I do now?

Several posts below yours

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

3 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Hi guys,

I've upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for three months. Since then, there is no problem with my PC at all and I use it daily.

However, today after powering up it, I noticed it ran slower than other days. I open up Task Manager and found that one svchost.exe process (many of them were running there) was using a lot of my CPU resource.

I can kill it and of course, I have killed it, however, after a while, it automatically starts and begin to eating my CPU.

What should I do now?

I've encountered the same issue last two weeks, so to assist you easier, can you use Task Manager or Process Explorer to find out which Windows service stands behind the svchost.exe that you mentioned?

To do that, bring up Task Manager, click on the "Details" tab. Then, select svchost.exe, right-click on it and choose "Go to service(s)".

It will show you all Windows services that related to that svchost.exe process.

Just list them out!

go-to-service.png

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Kevin D said:

It's wuauserv, winmgmt, themes, user manager, app info, bits and some more. What should I do?

To know which caused this error, you can right click on it and stop one by one. If your CPU is back to normal after stopped any of them, then it's definitely the cause.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, tonytran said:

To know which caused this error, you can right click on it and stop one by one. If your CPU is back to normal after stopped any of them, then it's definitely the cause.

I have stopped all of them and I think it's wuauserv.

12 hours ago, Kevin D said:

I have stopped all of them and I think it's wuauserv.

So, it's because of Windows Update. According to what I found in this post and some other recommendations in answers.microsoft.com support community, the first step you need to do is to restart this service: wuauserv. Sometimes, restarting it will also help to fix the problem.

If the problem remains, you can refresh it by removing the SoftwareDistribution directory that's located at C:\Windows. However, if you want to remove this folder, you need to stop wuauserv from running. Otherwise, it will alert you that it's using by another application and won't let you remove it.

If removing the SoftwareDistribution directory can't help too, use a free tool from Microsoft, called Windows Update Troubleshooter. You can download it here. After downloading, use it to diagnose whether your Windows Update got any problems. If it found, it will help you to fix it.

Besides, an outdated version of Windows Update sometimes can cause a few irritating problem, like this one. You should update it frequently.

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

Let me know if your problem is resolved.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your help. My problem was resolved after I delete SoftwareDistribution folder and reboot my PC. So far so good.

I was checking process explorer today and noticed that svchost was just below idle process and using about 12% cpu usage.  I am using W-7.  I went into the task manager and located all the services for the PID for that svchost.  I chose to stop the windows update service and the cpu usage for idle process went back to its usual 99%.

I wonder how long this has been going on without my knowledge.  Maybe I need to change my windows update options.

Airbus

Just rebooted and I still have the problem!

Edited by Airbus
was 12% not 6%

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

6 hours ago, Airbus said:

I was checking process explorer today and noticed that svchost was just below idle process and using about 12% cpu usage.  I am using W-7.  I went into the task manager and located all the services for the PID for that svchost.  I chose to stop the windows update service and the cpu usage for idle process went back to its usual 99%.

I wonder how long this has been going on without my knowledge.  Maybe I need to change my windows update options.

Airbus

Just rebooted and I still have the problem!

Hi Airbus,

Have you tried to delete SoftwareDistribution folder yet? I would recommend doing so. Get back to me the result.

Also, Update Troubleshooter is good option to try too.

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262

Couple of questions:

What is in the software distribution folder, what function does it perform and what will happen if I delete it? Will it come back?

FYI, when I booted my PC I checked process explorer and everything looked normal and then I watched as a program called "trusted installer" started running and started the scvhost service with 12% CPU usage.

Not sure this makes a difference but I am running windows 7.

Thanks for your help!

Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

16 hours ago, Airbus said:

Couple of questions:

What is in the software distribution folder, what function does it perform and what will happen if I delete it? Will it come back?

FYI, when I booted my PC I checked process explorer and everything looked normal and then I watched as a program called "trusted installer" started running and started the scvhost service with 12% CPU usage.

Not sure this makes a difference but I am running windows 7.

Thanks for your help!

Airbus

Firstly, as you mentioned in the previous message that after you stop Windows Update, your CPU is back to normal. So I can jump to a conclusion that it's the cause.

As for your question, software distribution is a folder that Windows uses to store all downloaded files of Windows updates. It will use those files to install and update your Windows OS to fix bugs or add more features.

By deleting this folder and reboot your computer, you will refresh the download process again and force Windows to re-download those files. The point is that sometimes those files are corrupted and so Windows can't install updates. That's why it's stuck and cause this high usage issue.

You can try to delete that folder and let me know whether the problem is fixed or not.

I deleted the software distribution software folder and rebooted my PC twice and the problem is fixed!  As you said my windows redownloaded the files and the distribution folder is back but no problems have occurred. Maybe now windows can start downloading updates again.  I have not had any updates for W-7 for a long time.

Thanks again for your help!

Airbus

Al Kaupa