Sign in to follow this  
Guest bartels

Side Slip Indicator

Guest AndrewW

Well I'm down to the last gauge on the main panel, and I'm not sure which variable to use for it! :-zhelpThe Side Slip indicator, shown below, has units measuring 15 from the left, to 15 units to the right.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e1a02a97db7c023.jpgThe only variable I can think of using is "TURN COORDINATOR BALL". Unless the default MS gauge uses the different velocity variables?If anyone has worked on a similar gauge and knows what variables to use that would be a great help! Thanks for any help or suggestions. Andrewhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e1a040c06632af5.jpg

>If anyone has worked on a similar gauge and knows what >variables to use that would be a great help! >Thanks for any help or suggestions. Karl Petterson sent me a copy of his 'Successometer' gauge (XML format) that I believe he's uploaded here at avsim.There is a rather convoluted formula that I'm not about to parse at the moment, but does involve using these variable to calculate "a" number that is useful...(A:Velocity body X, m/s) (A:Velocity body Z, m/s) atg2 abs...there is another part of the same formula that makes use of the differential between the rotation speeds of the left and right main gear...(A:LEFT WHEEL RPM,rpm) 10 < (A:RIGHT WHEEL RPM,rpm) 10 Maybe you can do something with just the two velocity body variables...

Whups, I think I forgot to upload it :D Oh well.In any case, the code shown here will only show heading deviation from track (abs) and not slip to left or right.Here is the full value tag I use in a pure slipstring indicator. This one is also sensitive to wind, and hopefully "all the rest" as well, but have not fully tested yet:(A:Velocity world X, m/s) (A:Ambient Wind X, m/s) - (A:Velocity world Z, m/s) (A:Ambient Wind Z, m/s) - atg2 1.5708 + (A:Magvar, radians) - (A:Plane heading degrees gyro, radians) - (A:Gyro Drift Error, radians) + rnorThis is a slip "string", and the purposed usage is training engine out scenarios in a twin - since the ball will not be totally correct (ball and string may differ in output - thrust the string then).

Guest bartels

You are referring to the Concore Side Slip Indicator? I'm not sure, but I assume this Instrument might show the angle of attack "sideways", this would be INCIDENCE BETA. The "normal" angle of attack is INCIDENCE ALPHA.Arne Bartels

Guest AndrewW

Thanks to Bill and Karl for their suggestions!Arne: I've looked at these variables, though I was not sure what values they returned. I think my AOA indicator is using another variable at the moment! :-(Thanks for the info - I'll give it a go (on both gauges! ;-)) and see what results I get! Regards,Andrewhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e1a040c06632af5.jpg

Guest bartels

I'm not sure if it is the same for XML gauges, but for C gauges ANGLE OF ATTACK INDICATOR gave really only an value for the Lear Jet AOA indicator, e.g. it never showed negative AOAs. The Concorde AOA indicator is definetely made with INCIDENCE ALPHA, even if there is a certain amount of damping in it. If the the sidelip indicator is made with INCIDENCE BETA I'm not sure, at least there seems to be a check needed if the aircraft is actually moving or not.Arne Bartels

Guest bartels

I rechecked the binary code of Concorde.gau and the AOA uses INCIDENCE_ALPHA and the Sideslip INCIDENCE_BETA, both use further calculations which aren't easily to deassamble.Arne Bartels

INCIDENCE_BETA huh?Have you ANY idea how long I've struggled to get my slip working? :DThanks Microsoft, for the great documentation! And maybe a little thank you to whoever created the optics on my glasses :D :)Oh well, back to work...

Guest bartels

I had the problem with AOA until I discovered INCIDENCE_ALPHA, fortunately my diploma had something to do with "incidence angles" (the impact angle of (acoustic) waves), so I did know halways what "Incidence" means. Secondly I thought "hey and what is INCIDENCE_BETA?" and checked it out. I never had a use for it, though. I never looked too close on the Concorde gauges I must admit.Arne Bartels