Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Micro ATX Case & PCI Express Questions?

In consideration for an upgrade of my system, primarily for FS use I have come up with the following questions: (There will probably be many more).1. To get the simple question out of the way first, Do Micro ATX Motherboards also fit the larger ATX cases without any problem, or must they be installed in unique Micro ATX cases?2. In looking at Motherboards, many have the PCIe x 16 video slots so close to the first old school PCI slot that the PCI slot is not useable (Same for some AGP slots as well particularly with a cooler on the video card). I see other motherboards that are available where the separation between these slots really should be no problem, at least with some video cards. However, on many of these boards, between the X16 and old school PCI slots are PCI Express X1 slots which appear to me would be totally negated by the size of many video cards. A google search along with input from Tom's Hardware site for information implies to me that at least thus far these X1 slots have little use and few manufactured users as they duplicate sound card, LAN, and other functions that are already available on the motherboards or by cards in the PCI slots. Real world particularly to the Flight Simulator user, should this be a future concern for us?3. While I am at it, I will throw in X4 slots that I read about, but have really not noticed available on any motherboards I have considered. Wonder what the future hold for these slots?4. May as well throw in PCI Express 2 as a question mark as well.I realize the history of computing for most of us has been that you can't put anything together today that will not be outdated immediately, but one wonders what will be the thing to buy tomorrow.Just wondered what the feeling from this knowledgeable forum community is concerning these items? I am sure there are many of us that are somewhat ignorant on these subjects that would appreciate your input.Respectfully:RTH

I can't really answer all of your questions, but your post is interesting and I will bump it to the top.Your question about MicroATX motherb's fitting into ATX cases, I do not know. I do not build with MicroATX spec but I thought about doing it once for a silent PC (powered by a Pentium M) I thought about making. I would think that they would fit, *provided* that the motherboard tray has the proper screw holes. Motherboard trays are of varying accuracies/qualities...so that to me seems to be the deciding factor. That and the issue of slots lining up. Maybe someone else has specific info.>2. In looking at Motherboards, many have the PCIe x 16 video>slots so close to the first old school PCI slot that the PCI>slot is not useable (Same for some AGP slots as well>particularly with a cooler on the video card). I see other>motherboards that are available where the separation between>these slots really should be no problem, at least with some>video cards. However, on many of these boards, between the X16>and old school PCI slots are PCI Express X1 slots which appear>to me would be totally negated by the size of many video>cards. A google search along with input from Tom's Hardware>site for information implies to me that at least thus far>these X1 slots have little use and few manufactured users as>they duplicate sound card, LAN, and other functions that are>already available on the motherboards or by cards in the PCI>slots. Real world particularly to the Flight Simulator user,>should this be a future concern for us?>I don't think it should be a concern for us necessarily.With the size of many of these vid cards, like the 8800 or 7950GX2,and SLI setups, there's no question that it removes some slots from use in many cases.>3. While I am at it, I will throw in X4 slots that I read>about, but have really not noticed available on any>motherboards I have considered. Wonder what the future hold>for these slots?>Possibly other hardware will use them. I do not know what that might be. It seems the vast majority of uses will come with the x16 slots.>4. May as well throw in PCI Express 2 as a question mark as>well.>Don't know much about that yet. I'm just getting used to regular PCI Express. :)RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB