Sign in to follow this  
Guest RickRouse

FSX AI Tutorial?

Guest RickRouse

Well I've finally upgraded and can enjoy FSX.But there seems to be issues around the simple joy of adding my own AI Traffic. I've searched for a month on the forums, but I could not find any single source for a comprehensive AI Traffic guide for FSX. Is there a document out there that I can get?I know TTools no longer applies in FSX. I find AI work tedious, but very rewarding. I don't want a package. More fun creating my own AI aviation world.OK. This is what I have learned regarding FSX:1. The SDK utility is cumbersome. In a word, junk.2. I can use FS9 fomatting for the AI flightplans, but I need to then run them through a .BGL utility that converts the files to FSX format.So I have a few questions please.1. Can the standard AI types from Aardvark, EVAI, DJC, Fruitstand, HTAI, DWAI work cleanly in FSX?2. How can I install the AI into the FSX AI world?3. How are files decompiled and then recompiled? I welcome and appreciate all who respond 'cause this has me really confused. And FSX is sooooo pretty, it would be a shame if I couldn't add my AI traffic like I used to.Thank You!Rick (MKE)

Well I've finally upgraded and can enjoy FSX.But there seems to be issues around the simple joy of adding my own AI Traffic. I've searched for a month on the forums, but I could not find any single source for a comprehensive AI Traffic guide for FSX. Is there a document out there that I can get?I know TTools no longer applies in FSX. I find AI work tedious, but very rewarding. I don't want a package. More fun creating my own AI aviation world.OK. This is what I have learned regarding FSX:1. The SDK utility is cumbersome. In a word, junk.2. I can use FS9 fomatting for the AI flightplans, but I need to then run them through a .BGL utility that converts the files to FSX format.So I have a few questions please.1. Can the standard AI types from Aardvark, EVAI, DJC, Fruitstand, HTAI, DWAI work cleanly in FSX?2. How can I install the AI into the FSX AI world?3. How are files decompiled and then recompiled? I welcome and appreciate all who respond 'cause this has me really confused. And FSX is sooooo pretty, it would be a shame if I couldn't add my AI traffic like I used to.Thank You!Rick (MKE)
As you have found, the FSX SDK Traffic DataBase Builder is not a very viable 'tool' for someonewho does not possess infinite patience.I use TTools to create all my FSX AI traffic bgl's and then run them through a utility to convert themto FSX format. There are utilities available to do this as well as decompile the flightplans.I use my FS9 Aardvark, PAI and WOAI aircraft and plans in FSX. Some of the aircraft may have 'issues' due to changes in the way FSX handles textures, etc.. Most notably prop aircraft.But for the most part they work OK.I use this program to convert my FS9-format traffic BGL's:http://lc0277.nerim.net/bglfpfsxconvert02.zipThere is a FSX and FS9 traffic BGL decompiler created by Peter van der Veen, FSX Decompiler.exe.Search the library here for his utilities.I generally do not decompile the FSX bgl's. I simply make my changes to the TTools files, recompilewith TTools then convert and replace the previous version.For boat traffic, I recommend the AI Boat Utility by Lamont Clark, author of the "bglfpfsxconvert02" utility noted above. You can get the AI Boat Utility at his site as well. Very easy to use and allows you todefine boat traffic routes using Google Earth. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

RickThere is also a tool called AIFlightplaner that does everything you need for FS9 and FSX.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

That's a very good topic for FSX starters as I am!!! One question though: what about the repaints? I also use FS9 and at the moment has about 2,000 airlines mostly with AIA, FSP, PAI and other aircraft models. Will the repaints work properly? Is there a need to change their format from DXT3 to something else?Also, I understand that AI prop aircraft will NOT work as they should do in FSX. However, is there a workaround to solve this problem? What is this problem related to exactly - textures or models?Another question also regarding the FS9 textures for AI aircraft: Is there a tool or utility to batch convert BMP files to DDS (as accepted in FSX)?!?thank you very much!

Regards,

Victor Quebec

I think most people are using FS9 AI craft with minimal problems. Textures should work.You can substitute a prop from a default FSX plane.I don't know of a bulk texture converter, but DXTBmp works on a manual basis, If you need to convert.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest zsnel
RickThere is also a tool called AIFlightplaner that does everything you need for FS9 and FSX.Bob
I have downloaded this tool. It looks farely easy to use. I made some flightplans, compiled them and add them to my FSX scenery/world/scenery folder, but nothing show. I've made sure that there were no error messages wrt starting times, legs, etc.I have followed the turorial, but it does not give all the info.Any help? I am sorry that I cannot supply info as to where I made a mistake. I simply don't knowRegardsMartin

Hi,First, do you have *any* FS9 formatted traffic BGL files loaded? If so, NO FSX formatted traffic BGL's will display.Otherwise,Do you have the planes installed?Are you looking at GMT times? (all AI coding is in GMT).Are you sure that the planes listed in the aircraft.txt file are *exactly* the same as the title= line in the plane's aircraft.cfg file?Hope this helps,