Sign in to follow this  
DickB

Ground Texture Tiles Disappearing Momentarily

Hi guys - could someone give me some direction ? I've just installed FSX on a new system, which is generally performing very well, but I'm seeing a new problem I didn't see on either of my previous systems with the same (FSX) products.I am seeing one or more ground texture tiles disappearing (leaving black space under the Autogen, which does not disappear) during flight. This most commonly happens when I pan the VC view to the left (or make a significant flying maneouvre in that direction). Strangely it doesn't seem to happen when I pan to the right. But it can also happen when flying normally, again most commonly to the left of the a/c. I see the problem with both my scenery addons - UTX Europe and UK2000 VFR Airfields - and also, to a much lesser extent, with the FSX default textures. It also seems to be more common in areas with more detail, autogen etc.The significant point is that the texture tiles are present when the view moves to them. They only disappear a second or two after they are in view. They disappear for 1-2 seconds and then re-appear. I'm by no means an expert on how FSX processes scenery, but it seems to me that this does not point to a scenery load/buffer problem ?I'd appreciate any feedback pointing me to what could be the cause and any possible fix.Thanks !

Additional info - I noticed that in some places when the tiles disappear the background is not black but very dark blue/purple. Not sure how/whether this is significant, but it may be meaningful to someone out there !Any help appreciated.

Just an update for those of you who took an interest in this thread (111 of you !) and anyone else who may run into a similar problem in the future. My problem turned out to be memory - a bad memory module or a mismatch between type of memory and the BIOS level of the motherboard (or maybe both). As described above, the initial problem showed up as ground texture tiles disappearing and re-appearing, but it subsequently mutated into CTDs, hangs, bluescreens and some very ugly graphics problems. If I can figure out how to post a screenshot I will add one !

Just an update for those of you who took an interest in this thread (111 of you !) and anyone else who may run into a similar problem in the future. My problem turned out to be memory - a bad memory module or a mismatch between type of memory and the BIOS level of the motherboard (or maybe both). As described above, the initial problem showed up as ground texture tiles disappearing and re-appearing, but it subsequently mutated into CTDs, hangs, bluescreens and some very ugly graphics problems. If I can figure out how to post a screenshot I will add one !
Hi,Your problem sounds similar to me. FSX generally runs fine, but I often get stutters with graphical artifacts in the air and purple ground tiles, which makes it not quite enjoyable enough to pursue away from FS9. Did you ever see a difference between SP1 and SP2? I get no problems with SP1 however most addons are now designed for SP2 so I put SP2 back on and get these graphical anomolies/issues. Such a shame. Spec below. It seemed ACES touched something major in SP2 and the graphics engine is handled differently. Perhaps it's Nvidia, I don't know.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Hi,Your problem sounds similar to me. FSX generally runs fine, but I often get stutters with graphical artifacts in the air and purple ground tiles, which makes it not quite enjoyable enough to pursue away from FS9. Did you ever see a difference between SP1 and SP2? I get no problems with SP1 however most addons are now designed for SP2 so I put SP2 back on and get these graphical anomolies/issues. Such a shame. Spec below. It seemed ACES touched something major in SP2 and the graphics engine is handled differently. Perhaps it's Nvidia, I don't know.
Well, the symptoms sound similar (the purple ground textures are very familar), but I wouldn't like to say it's the same problem. Missing ground textures could be some other kind of bottleneck in the system. Do they disappear/re-appear while you're looking at them (which is what I saw), or are they just not there when you switch to that view ?I didn't see artefacts as in black squares/shapes. What would happen to me was that the VC and/or external view would suddenly break into large 'shards' which might remain stationary or else flash around the screen. Scary !As for SP1/SP2 - this is a new system, and I have never run anything on it but SP2, so I'm afraid I can't tell you whether SP1 presented differently. I'm certainly aware that there were substantial changes between SP1 and SP2 of course, but I'll have to leave it to the more knowledgable folks on here to comment on that aspect.

I didn't see artefacts as in black squares/shapes. What would happen to me was that the VC and/or external view would suddenly break into large 'shards' which might remain stationary or else flash around the screen. Scary !
This is exactly what I see when panning around using TrackIR. It only happens in SP2 though. It's only momentarily but very annoying. I can't isolate it to drivers or card yet. I still have my old rig which I might check the performance against (AMD 4200/8800GTS/WinXP) but I don't remember it happening on that one so it might be Win7 or the 190.xx drivers. I don't know.Interesting.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

happening on that one so it might be Win7 or the 190.xx drivers. I don't know.
It doesn't happen for me in XP but if I use Windows 7 with the latest drivers it does. I don't think it did it with the earlier drivers but I don't have time to check right now.Steven.

This is exactly what I see when panning around using TrackIR. It only happens in SP2 though. It's only momentarily but very annoying. I can't isolate it to drivers or card yet. I still have my old rig which I might check the performance against (AMD 4200/8800GTS/WinXP) but I don't remember it happening on that one so it might be Win7 or the 190.xx drivers. I don't know.Interesting.
Maybe slightly different then - my 'missing textures problem' only occurred after panning (usually to the left). The 'shards' problem never occurred during panning. It would just suddenly occur while flying straight and level. Once there, it would not go away, and most often was followed by a CTD.