Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brodey

FSX water textures are generating as "land" textures

Guest Brodey

Starting just today, I have been having the strangest problem I have ever had in Flight Sim. All the water in the area that my Flight Sim loads textures for is displayed as land textures instead of the proper water textures. As I fly across the watermass and the textures reload the water I'm flying over to more land textures. I currently have no add-on water or land texture add-ons. I thought it might be due to an error with REX or something, but as you can see all the textures are default FSX.I don't think it has anything to do with graphics drivers as I have had the same ones for about a month and this problem just arose today. I haven't made any significant system or FSX changes today that might bring this on. The only thing I have changed today was installing the Wilco 777 (a terrible mistake) and then uninstalling it myself after seeing how truely bad it is, but I digress. The first time I noticed it was on a transatlantic PMDG 747-400 flight earlier today which went smoothly, except for this texture issue of course. Below are links to pictures of my issue, I hope they help. Please let me know if you need more. I also have attched system specifications. If necessary please email me at bxwxmx11@gmail.com. Thank you so much, I'm freaking out here!!Oh, and please excuse the loading time on the pictures, they're on a private server and almost 9 megs a piece because I didn't shrink them down.Image 1 (Initial Top-Down View Upon Loading Into KOAK):http://www.dumud.net/~bmoran/fsxproblem/20...2-18-52-335.BMPImage 2 (Top-Down View After Short Flight West Over The Pacific):http://www.dumud.net/~bmoran/fsxproblem/20...2-21-15-153.BMPImage 3 (Aerial View Of The Landmass After Climbout From KOAK):http://www.dumud.net/~bmoran/fsxproblem/20...2-18-41-156.BMP**Looking closely, you can make out where the anomaly beginsSystem Specifications:EVGA X58 3X-SLI MotherboardIntel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (OCd to 3.6GHz)6GB (2x3GB) Corsair XMS3 Tri-Channel DDR3 1600MHz(2) EVGA GTX260 Core 216 896MB GPUs (In-SLI)Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor SATA 10,000-RPM HDD (C:\)Ultra X3 1600 Watt PSUJust-Your-Usual Western Digital 250GB IDE 5,200-RPM HDD (D:\) (Contains some GEX files)FSX Add-ons:Real Environment Extreme (Textures currently not installed)FS GlobalUltimate Terrain X - USA, Canada, EuropeI have had all these add-ons installed for nearly a year and have had no problems until today. Please! Any information you can give me would be great. Like I said, I'm freaking! Thanks again.

If you use FTX (Orbx), make sure you have FTX mode turned off. If thats not the case, did you change/adjust the scenery layers lately? I had this happen to me once and found, I had moved scenery areas to the top, that should have been on the bottom such as UTX layers.Rob

Start any of the UTX setup utilities and let it check for the correct Terrain.cfg entries. This should resolve things, otherwise you can post at the UTX support forums for more help.Also, changing the screen caps from BMP files to JPG files makes it a lot quicker for any person trying to help.

I had the very same thing happen yesterday! This is weird.The only thing different was I had installed REX 2.0, Palma, and the FTX Australia Blue Demo, as well as the L-39.I fixed it by running the UTX utility. So what the heck happened here?

The only thing different was I had installed ...and the FTX Australia Blue Demo, as well as the L-39.
When you installed the demo it installed "it's version" of the Terrain.cfg file. If you don't turn the old versions of FTX OFF, then the replacement Terrain.cfg file is still in use. UTX modifies, not replaces, but modifies the Terrain.cfg file with it's necessary entries. Now with the FTX version of Terrain.cfg being active there is no data to add back the effects that UTX creates. You'll see many layers in the Scenery Library for UTX, including one that excludes default features. Those files or layers are still being applied, but without the necessary Terrain.cfg entries things like water, streams, roads go missing.

huhthat's interestingseems rather imperialistic to have Tasmania rewriting scenery for my whole world :-)thanks, I'll keep a closer eye on those devils in the future

I found this as i had the same problem before when starting from Liverpool UK, after flying around in AUS (With ORBX AUS active)I wonder why you can't have ORBX USA (PNW, etc) and AUS active as well as default for the rest of the world.Means any flights between AUS and West coast America requires you to turn off FSX, switch areas, and then start up again.Awkward.