Sign in to follow this  
Guest robains

Flashing VC graphics corruption in J41?

Guest robains

I really enjoy the J41, but I seem to have run into a problem with flashing VC graphics corruption while panning around the cockpit. Corruption is specific to cockpit in VC mode only (looking out the window is fine).Digging some more, it appears the flashing VC corruption ONLY occurs when I'm using ASA weather (with X Graphics) -- specific weather conditions seem to set off the corruption. I'll try to dig some more to find out what specific weather condition causes the VC to start flashing corrupted polygons. This is limited to just VC, exterior is fine. It's almost as if the weather and VC panel are conflicting.I have a couple of other aircraft installed Piper Cheyenne X v1.1 for FSX and the Super 80. But neither of these aircraft exhibit the problem with the same ASA weather settings....hmmmmIf I use FSX default "Fair Weather", I don't have the problem with the J41 VC.I read about someone else having similar corruptions: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=271382System:Intel QX9700 @ 4Ghz, 4GB RAM (Corsair DDR3 @ 1600 Mhz)Patriot Torqx 128GB SSDTwo ATI 5870 in CrossfireWindows 7 UltimateFSX + AccelerationDX9 modeAdd-Ons:PMDG J41Super 80Piper Cheyenne X v1.1ASA + X Graphics (B311)MegaSceneryEarthFSUIPC 4.57 WideFS 6.78This problem is just limited to the J41. Any suggestions?Thanks, Rob.

Maybe the crossfire configuration? I've read that dual cards will have problems with MSFS, but I am a hardware novice; otherwise, you've got a lot more power under the hood than I do and I never have had graphics problems with the JS4100 (I helped a little in the beta too). I lately went from ASX to REX, which I believe uses a texture method rather than vector for clouds. You might play with that to see what happens.

Dan Downs KCRP

I really enjoy the J41, but I seem to have run into a problem with flashing VC graphics corruption while panning around the cockpit. Corruption is specific to cockpit in VC mode only (looking out the window is fine).Digging some more, it appears the flashing VC corruption ONLY occurs when I'm using ASA weather (with X Graphics) -- specific weather conditions seem to set off the corruption. I'll try to dig some more to find out what specific weather condition causes the VC to start flashing corrupted polygons. This is limited to just VC, exterior is fine. It's almost as if the weather and VC panel are conflicting.I have a couple of other aircraft installed Piper Cheyenne X v1.1 for FSX and the Super 80. But neither of these aircraft exhibit the problem with the same ASA weather settings....hmmmmIf I use FSX default "Fair Weather", I don't have the problem with the J41 VC.I read about someone else having similar corruptions: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=271382System:Intel QX9700 @ 4Ghz, 4GB RAM (Corsair DDR3 @ 1600 Mhz)Patriot Torqx 128GB SSDTwo ATI 5870 in CrossfireWindows 7 UltimateFSX + AccelerationDX9 modeAdd-Ons:PMDG J41Super 80Piper Cheyenne X v1.1ASA + X Graphics (B311)MegaSceneryEarthFSUIPC 4.57 WideFS 6.78This problem is just limited to the J41. Any suggestions?Thanks, Rob.
If it's sort of a flashing "wall" in the VC, then this has been reported by a number of people on this forum. The solution is to open the JS41 configuration tool and set virtual cockpit model options to Medium.Unfortunately, this seems to be regardless of hardware and does not happen to everyone. I'm running an i7 920 @ 4.0GHz and have seen this issue using both an 8800gt and 5870 (no crossfire or sli).Hope this helps.

As far as I know - please correct me if I'm wrong - this is a problem that couldn't be solved yet.Is it true that PMDG isn't investigating this issue any further, because they want to focus on new releases?

I want to emphasize "[...] isn' t investigating this issue [...]" and not "[...] focus on new releases [...]"I think I read it somewhere in the update Topic. But I'm not sure. Maybe someone could correct me?

We know what's causing this too - will be fixed along with the bezel thing mentioned in another thread if we do an SP2.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ok! Thx for the answer! I'm glad I was mistaken! :-D

Guest robains
If it's sort of a flashing "wall" in the VC, then this has been reported by a number of people on this forum. The solution is to open the JS41 configuration tool and set virtual cockpit model options to Medium.Unfortunately, this seems to be regardless of hardware and does not happen to everyone. I'm running an i7 920 @ 4.0GHz and have seen this issue using both an 8800gt and 5870 (no crossfire or sli).Hope this helps.
I solved the problem with your hint -- the option was setting instruments to "Normal" rather than "High". I was able to leave the other VC with ice/etc. settings alone. But like I said, I only need to do this when I'm using ASA/X Graphics weather, if I use default FSX weather I can go back to "High". The JS41 does seem to have a big performance hit that is very noticeable at Denver with MegaSceneryEarth tiles - drops to 13.6 fps vs. my Cheyenne X that's at 30.8 fps. Scared to think how PMDG MD-11 must be like for fps.Just wish the JS41 had an option to use standard FSX key maps so my autopilot and other GoFlight controls would work ... something in the configuration would be great so that I don't lose functionality. I realize this takes away some "realism" so that's why I'm suggesting a nice "option".Rob

Yep this is happening to me too, I thought it was my vid card overheating at first but it wasn't, looking forward to the fix (hoping).It wasn't doing it initially but is always now.i7-9204870X2

The JS41 does seem to have a big performance hit that is very noticeable at Denver with MegaSceneryEarth tiles - drops to 13.6 fps vs. my Cheyenne X that's at 30.8 fps. Scared to think how PMDG MD-11 must be like for fps.
Actually I am finding the J41 to have a bigger frame rate hit than the MD-11.

Guest robains
...Actually I am finding the J41 to have a bigger frame rate hit than the MD-11.
Interesting, I thought the MD-11 does more, hence more of a FPS hit? I'm wondering if the J41 fps hit is due to PMDG's attempt to overcome the shortcomings of the Turbo Prop flight dynamics? The manual goes into detail about how they had to try to work around the problem in FSX ... perhaps it would be good to have an option to NOT implement those changes? -- might recover some fps. I could expect some fps hit, but cutting my fps in 1/2 or worse seems a little excessive especially for what is considered to be a "light" version from PMDG.Lets hope for a patch, but I thought PMDG were NOT going to work on the J41 any more and move on to other projects?I must say, the manual is a fascinating read -- very informative with some great background on the J41. I really want to use this aircraft, but with the fps hit it makes "good" landings pretty close to impossible unless I turn just about everything off and have a big blotchy blurry gray chunk of asphalt ... maybe FSX should have built in a wire frame only option, circa 1980's ;)

Might also have something to do with the very fancy cockpit, the VC MD-11's cockpit is very nice (I use VC only) but the J41's is even better. With interior reflecting glass, icing effects, visible wings/engine/prop, generally sharper resolution etc.I'm not complaining about it, as if I want such a rich accurate (complex) sim I need to pay the performance price, but it is always nice to hang on to as many frames as possible. :)

We know what's causing this too - will be fixed along with the bezel thing mentioned in another thread if we do an SP2.
Great, well thanks a lot.You say we know what the probelm is and will be fixed "if" we do SP2Thats great to know, Ill just wait for "if" and meanwhile not be annoyed at all that I spent

Keithy George

Just set VC model options to medium (just removes windscreen icing effects as far as I know) and you wont see it again, then when (if) we get SP2 you can have windscree icing back. I don't see how that single effect makes your

Yeap, disabling it took away the problem for me. I do hope to see an SP2 once time permits though. The idea of it is just too "Cool" to just let it go. :(

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Just bought the Jetstream, and I also noticed this flashing VC window thingie. I also have Active Sky (Evolution) installed and during the first few flights everything was fine, but after I changed location - airport - (of course the weather changed, too) I started to have this annoying flashing. It is really possible that Active Sky stands behind it. Whatever it is, as Ryan said, they know the reason. But he also said, if we do an SP2... Well, I hope that they will...!Sincerely,Zsolt