Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

AI Aircraft landing short of the runway

Does anyone know a fix for the occasional problem of AI aircraft landing short of the runway? I just watched a British Airways 737 do a perfect water landing about 5000 feet short of the LGTS runway and then, after being handed over to ground, taxi across the water to the gate! :( I have noticed it with the FlyTampa KSEA occasionally as well.

I've seen it happen occasionnally with WOAI aircraft trying to catch up on their schedules, it doesn't always happen though. :(

Maybe the Afcad doesn't match the scenery and needs to be altered if you can't find one made for that scenery.Colin B

Maybe the Afcad doesn't match the scenery and needs to be altered if you can't find one made for that scenery.Colin B
Hi ColinThat was my first thought too but in both cases GAP LGTS and FlyTampa KSEA the AFCADs were supplied with the scenery and work perfectly. But to be sure I just checked both of them using AFX and everything is an exact match.The comment above about WOAI might be the answer as almost all my airline AI is from them.

Yes you have to imagine there is something amiss with some WOAI models?I have seen this recently at EDDF too.A/C was a BA A319 IIR

If you really believe there is a possible issue with WOAI models, I would suggest posting in the WOAI forums. If there is an issue, they need to know so it can be addressed.http://www.world-of-ai.com/Forum/index.phpYou do have to register (free and easy) to see all of the forums and be able to post.Be sure you cite the model(s) in question and where you observed this behavior.

Hi All,This has happened on a few occassions with my old Traffic program on FS9, which was Just Flight's 'Traffic'. It as not happened recently with my WOAI, but at the time I believe I put it down to a conflicting AFCAD file and too much traffic on the go at any one time.

I don't want anyone to think I'm convinced it is a WOAI model problem. As the only time I've seen it happen has involved airline AI and almost all my airline AI is from WOAI I thought the explanation posted above was worth checking out. But I doubt it is anything to do with the actual models as WOAI use models from lots of different sources, especially Aardvark and I'd swear by their reliability any day. Now that I read that it has happened with Just Flight's Traffic program, it's possible that it involves the issue of scheduling as suggested above. I've only observed it at KSEA and LGTS but I think that's probably coincidental - it sounds like it happens elsewhere as well.When I get some time I'll tinker around with some customized schedules and see if I can make it happen. I'll post any results I get. Any other ideas guys?

I, for one would be very interested to hear what you may (or may not) find.

Guest ShaneG

I get this with problem with my AI also, and I use nothing but PAI and MAIW.It happens mostly at runways that are near, or end at water. The biggest issues for me happen at TNCM, KLAX, KSEA, and occasionally Elmendorf with the F-15's.It usually occurs most during bad weather, but I've seen it on a clear day as well.Traffic slider is at 90%.Hope this helps in some way. :)

I remember reading some time ago that something very similar can happen while using ATC add-ons like AISmooth.The deal is that these programs in fact slew aircraft when they prepare the landing queue instead of having ATC giving them proper instructions. This can under some circumstances cause the ATC code to loose the aircraft completely resulting in the aircraft proceeding as if no slew occurred... (I'm really not sure anymore about the details, some of this info might be straight incorrect but the general idea is right)Try disabling AISmooth, Radar Contact or whatever ATC add-on you have and see if you still get this behavior.

Good information - thanks. I do occasionally use AI Smooth but I don't think I was using it when this happened at the GAP LGTS as there's not that much traffic there and I usually only enable it when I'm going somewhere really busy. But that definitely includes KSEA where sometimes the approach path looks like a scene from a war movie with so many aircraft coming in at the same time! :( And that's where I've seen this happen most often, so I will experiment and see if using/not using AI smooth makes a difference.

It's often a good idea to set up a test traffic file that only uses default aircraft. I use the Baron, B737 or A321, and B747. Take note of the approach being used by the problem AI and set up conditions at the airport so that approach is given by ATC and then observe the test traffic. It can help to have the sdk traffic toolbox utilities installed in particular the traffic map shows you what the AI are trying to do/ where they actually are. That will tell you if the AFD are acceptable for AI. If the default aircraft work, then it is a question of the FDE of the particular AI aircraft. Many have been tweaked to get them landing, stopped, and off the runway as quickly as possible to avoid traffic jams and this can be a source of problems if the tweaks are too aggressive. If the defaults are having problems what I have seen is it's because of trying to fine tune an approach to avoid long finals that have terrain issues, or more rarely VFR having problems with the traffic pattern. scott s..

how long into the sim did this happen ( in time) ?Remember that the AI engine needs 15 minutes to settle down after the initial start of the flight so you can encounter some strange effects then.