Sign in to follow this  
EdwardSm

Undocked Window Issue

I'm having an odd problem when undocking the RC window in FSX. I had my large screen, which I use to fly on, to the right of of my computer and had my display set that way within Windows7. When starting a flight I would undock the RC window and move it to my computer monitor. I moved my area around yesterday and now my large screen is to the left of my computer monitor. The problem is when I undock the RC window it vanishes. If I enter my display settings and in Windows7 tell it my large screen is to the right side the RC window will appear, undocked, on the screen. At that time I can move it onto the computer monitor. How do I get RC to recognize that the large screen is on the left and not on the right. When I undock it I do not want it vanishing to the right side any longer.Thanks,Ed

Edward Smoker Sr.

I have it. I don't see how to delete a post so feel free to remove this one. Funny how I spent a day looking to solve this problem and suddenly get it by accident right after making this post. Murphy's Law in action I suppose.

Edward Smoker Sr.

Grrr, it didn't work. Today when I undocked the window it vanished and I had to go into the NVidia control panel, tell it my TV was on the right hand side of my computer, drag the RC box to the monitor, then tell the computer the TV was back on the left hand side. Any ideas how to get it to stay on the right side when undocking?

Edward Smoker Sr.

Have you set up the Nvidia Dualview icon in the windows title bar? Set up the options to show send application to and send window to.In the Nvidia control panels do you see and id for both of your monitors? If one is identified it should retain the settings. Run the ident utility to see which monitor is which. You are using dual-view, not spanning, correct?I tried it in FS9. I started FS in my PC default screen and loaded a flight into windowed mode. I sent it (as application) to my second monitor. I started up RC, loaded a plan, and started RC. The FSUIPC window appeared on the second monitor. I undocked it and dragged it to my primary monitor.One time I accidentally hid the FSUIPC window. I have a key sequence set up to hide and unhide the window and that restored it.I also tried it the other way around with ther main monitor for and the second one for the FSUIPC window.I also noticed if FS is on the second monitor that if I promoted FS to full screen that my primary monitor showed the FSUIPC window over black as in full screen in which the other apps would not show.Anyway I am set up in dual view and as long as FS is windowed it worked just fine in both directions.In a separate application not FS related I noticed that if I last used dualview on my next windows session with just one monitor on that particular app opened its daughter window on the second monitor (it disappeared) as if the second monitor was activated. This app does not appear to be fully windows compliant however. That should not be an issue in the case of FSUIPC, RC, and FS.

Edited by ronzie

Have you set up the Nvidia Dualview icon in the windows title bar? Set up the options to show send application to and send window to.
I'm afraid I do not know what this is. I searched my NVidia Control panel and could not find this. Isn't this done by using two graphics cards?
In the Nvidia control panels do you see and id for both of your monitors? If one is identified it should retain the settings. Run the ident utility to see which monitor is which. You are using dual-view, not spanning, correct?
Yes they are correctly identified. I extend the display.

Edward Smoker Sr.

Here are the setups from the Nvidia Desktop Manager that includes adding the icon in the Win title bars and its options:and the process of switching to dual view from the Nvidia taskbar icon;

Okay that appears to be a different program I do not have installed and have never seen before. I will search it out and take a look. Your screen shot is a program called "NView Desktop Managament". What I was referring to was NVidia Control Panel. Let me go find your program and see what it is for. Thank you for the screen shots, I thought I was totally lost there for a while.NCP.jpg

Edited by EdwardSm

Edward Smoker Sr.

What OS are you using; XP? According to the sources I found from NVidia they stopped adding that to the drivers for GTX cards back with Vista. I am running Windows7. The thing that confuses me is I can find the NView Control Panel program on the NVidia website but it is being marketed as a professional development tool and I can't find a download link for it. How did you get yours?

Edward Smoker Sr.

It is included with the driver. I am using 285.58 for XP. I get them from guru3d.com:http://downloads.gur...ta-|-7_c32.htmland scroll down this window. Notice that win 7-64 and vista 64 bits are the same driver.I don't think you can install an older version but this one should include what you need. Only use WHQL versions. smallarrow.gifNVIDIA GeForce 285.62 WHQL 64-bit Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Vista | 7 | 147 MB | 20074 downloadsYou can try a later one if you wish but I think the GeForce line might include it.If not, see what you can bring up from the Win 7 control panel or from the nvidia icon in the task bar. The must be some way to get to it to perform these tasks.Also, notice in the image of the choices for Nview Dualview when started from the taskbar icon you can choose which display is your primary and swap them by your choice of selection.

Edited by ronzie

I am using NVidia GeForce 285.62 which is the most current drivers. I did a lot of digging last night and NVidia pulled the NView Desktop Management from the drivers. It doesn't come with them for Win7 at any rate. I have my main display properly set for what's worth. Let me restate the issue.1. Physically my TV (#1 refer to screen shot above) was on the right side of my monitor (#2 refer to screen shot above). In the NVidia Control Panel they were setup the same way.2. One flight I undocked the RC4 control panel and moved it from the TV to the monitor.3. Finished flight and made several others doing the same thing.4. Last week I rearranged my man cave. In the process I physically moved my TV to the left side of my monitor.5. I changed the setting within the NVidia Control Panel, see screen shot above for current configuration.6. I started a flight.7. I undocked the RC4 control panel, I think you called it the FSUIPC Window?8. To undock the RC4 window I right clicked and selected "undock". When I did that the window disappeared.9. I searched around and could not find the now undocked RC4 window.10. On a hunch I went into the NVidia Control Panel and told the computer the TV was back on the right hand side.11. When I did that the undocked RC4 window appeared on the TV right where it was when I undocked it.As long as I leave the RC4 window docked it appears on the TV. As long as I tell the computer the TV is on the right hand side I can see the undocked and the docked RC4 window. If I tell the computer the TV is on the left hand side I can see the docked RC4 window but not the undocked RC4 window.So, what is it that you want me to do? My apologies but I'm lost at this point. I'm not totally sure we are talking about the same problem. All other programs I display on the TV changed over without issue, only RC4 "vanishes" if you will.

Edited by EdwardSm

Edward Smoker Sr.

Does right clicking on the desktop bring up any Dualview options? Do you have the NVidea options icon in the task bar?FSUIPC now remembers the last position of its window when you save a flight. Please see this page in the FSUIPC Users Guide;Message Window OptionsIn the release notes I believe it is also saved now with just closing a flight with the aircraft being used.From the NVidia Community site:"There are some Windows XP features that will no longer be available on WindowsVista due to changes in the core operating system. These features are:- Horizontal and Vertical desktop span multi-monitor modes (note: Dual View andClone mode display options are still available)- NVKeystone display correction- Full screen video mirror- Video zoom"It looks like in Win 7 the only option is extend from the Win CP as you have done:http://www.microsoft...womonitors.aspxhttp://windows.micro...ltiple-monitorsso now I understand what you are up against.Try going to full screen in FS and see what shows up.The other test is to try creating a new flight so the .flt file is created when you save it. Use a different aircraft.Now, in changing your real estate did you swap the monitor ports physically or are they the same. That might affect how the RC FSUIPC win is restored.I also suggest you set up a key sequence to hide and unhide the RC FSUIPC window. If you are not using a paid registered version of FSUIPC then you'll have to edit this into fsuipc.ini's General section as described in the Advanced User Guide. Backup fsuipc.ini in a folder remote from FS. Here's what I use:AdvDisplayHotKey=88,10sets ctrl-x as that toggle. Just in case for some reason it is hidden.FSUIPC 4.8O is current.Just to be sure you are not using Showtext or have advdisp.dll in your modules folder and are using the normal blue transparent window.I am going to flag this with Pete Dowson.

Edited by ronzie

Sounds like the typical undocked window positions problem with FSX when in full screen mode. I never could get any undocked FSX windows to show on my twin screen development PC. I suspect you have to use FSX Windowed mode for undocked windows.Please realise the RC or FSUIPC Window, whatever it is entitled, is just another FS window. Both its docked and undocked positions are saved in Flight Files when you save one. Just look for the section with the Window title as heading. If you've not loaded such a flight then it will go it its default position -- which is the same whether docked or undocked. But in full screen mode you probably need to switch to it in the normal Windowed mode, and it may just be behind the FS window.All this undocked window nonsense is a well-known FSX problem. FS9 and before never had these problems.You must realise that neither RC nor FSUIPC has any control over these Windows -- it is all FSX's doing, same as any other Window in FSX. FSUIPC merely calls upon FSX to draw them.There is a library provided in the FSUIPC Lua plug-in facility called ext. This includes some functions for placing undocked windows in different positions on specific screens. You address the windows by their title and the screens by their number according to Windows. There's an example called TileSix stored in the Lua plug-ins Zip, in the FSUIPC Documents folder, inside the FS Modules folder. That might help, but it still might not do any good in full screen mode.RegardsPete

Edited by Pete Dowson

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I never run full screen and I am not saving the flight. I will give the full screen suggestion a try and see what that does. The physical connections to the TV and monitor remained unchanged. There is no DualView option including in the taskbar. Your quote from the NVidia community is correct. In Windows7 dual view is removed.What is the undocked windows issue with FSX; I'm afraid I have not run into this before.I have had RC4 assigned a hotkey for hiding the RC4 window for some time now. I like to take the occasional screenshot and hide the window during those times. That is not the problem, the window is not being hidden when undocked. It is moving to an extended desktop on the right hand side that no longer exists but did at one time. The window is fully visible when docked on the left hand extended desktop. It is fully visible when undocked on the right hand extended desktop.I keep typing duel instead of dual.

Edited by EdwardSm

Edward Smoker Sr.

Going to full screen causes the RC4 window to appear docked on the right hand side of the TV. Exiting full screen causes the RC4 window to vanish even though it was docked a moment before. Uninstalling RC4 and installing it again had no effect. If this is FSX causing the move why would it keep doing this even after uninstalling RC4? Also why is it only happening to the RC4 window? I can undock any other panel/window in FSX in any plane and all is fine. It only happens with RC4. This sounds like a Windows7 issue.

Edited by EdwardSm

Edward Smoker Sr.

I never run full screen and I am not saving the flight. Without saving the flight you window positions are never even saved. They go into the FLT files. Same for all FS undocked windows.
If the undocked window is not appearing in Windowed mode then it is likely behing the FS window. Use the Task Bar to select it to the front.
What is the undocked windows issue with FSX; I'm afraid I have not run into this before.
Folks report that FSX doesn't properly reinstate undocked Window positions on multi-screen systems despite those positions being saved in the FLT files. It is a new problem in FSX which doesn't exist in FS9. There are some programs around which record the window positions and restore them for you, but I'm afraid I don't recall the names. There are some (now pretty old) threads on the AVSIM FSX forum about all this.The Lua plug-in method I mentioned could also be used to get the Window into the right position. You could assign a keypress or button to invoke it, or even arrange for it to do it periodically in case it gets lost again.
That is not the problem, the window is not being hidden when undocked. It is moving to an extended desktop on the right hand side that no longer exists but did at one time.
In that case that position MUST have been saved in a FLT file! There's no where else that it could be remembered! Maybe it is in your default flight which is loading initially. Either find the FLT file with the Window definition and delete that section, or get the Window displayed where you want it and save a replacement Flight.Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen