Sign in to follow this  
Ross1

Why update the FMC...?

Hello all...The PSS 777 Pro is still pretty new for me and I am gradually figuring out the FMC. I see that nav data updates are available for the FMC from sites like Navigraph. I must be missing something but, assuming that the updates include new or corrected nav aids, waypoints,frequencies etc...what good is it if the FS default scenery is not changed to match?. I suppose it would match the real paper charts one might have, but seems to me that facilities still have to exist in FS.ThanksRoss

Not much unless you frequently fly on something like Vatsim that tries to emulate RW procedures and routes. When flying using the FMC and navdata it doesnt relay on the FS navdata. Only when tuning to airport ILS's. Be careful to use FS ILS freq and not what the FMC says or at least crosscheck them. They will differ due to update airport data.

Edited by Barnstormer1

Thanks...then am I correct to understand that the .dat files in the PSS folders simply override the FS default or addon navaids,waypoints,airways etc. That would make sense, and probably much better match the charts that are available depending on issue dates. I suppose corrections/changes could be made to suit the charts by editing the .dat files also. As well, one would then have to ignore the FS Map and hope the updates are all in order. Any recommendations on a source for updates? ( FS9, Windows 7, PSS 777 Pro.. latest version.)cheersRoss

Thanks...then am I correct to understand that the .dat files in the PSS folders simply override the FS default or addon navaids,waypoints,airways etc. That would make sense, and probably much better match the charts that are available depending on issue dates. I suppose corrections/changes could be made to suit the charts by editing the .dat files also. As well, one would then have to ignore the FS Map and hope the updates are all in order. Any recommendations on a source for updates? ( FS9, Windows 7, PSS 777 Pro.. latest version.)cheersRoss
It's not so much that the FMC data overrides the FS data - it's simply that the FMC doesn't use FS data at all. If you want to use realworld current charts, then the FMC data will match (usually - it's not perfect) the charts for that cycle. The only source for the current FMC data is Navigraph. I very much recommend that you do not attempt to modify the data yourself unless you know exactly what you're doing. You may find that unless you are using up to date add-on airports or have modified afcads that things like runway numbers and some ILS frequencies will not match what you see in the FMC.DJ

Thanks...makes more sense now. I have installed the latest FMC data from Navigraph...very easy!....and now it more closely matches the charts I have. I will not miss flipping back and forth to the FS map.best regardsRoss

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.