Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Tweaking Trim control sensitivity

If we could map the Rudder trim, it would be even better.(It has been ponted out to the Devs, so let´s hope they implement it.)
I played around in standard.XML and found that the commands for mapping rudder trim are...FlightControls.YawTrimRightIncrementFlightControls.YawTrimLeftIncrement...using the same format as the Pitch Trim commands.

Just tried something new yesterday and set the

<Entry>

<Index>2</Index>

<Down>

<EventName>FlightControls.PitchTrimUpIncrement</EventName>

<Repeat>240.000000</Repeat>

</Down>

</Entry>

and

<Entry>

<Index>4</Index>

<Down>

<EventName>FlightControls.PitchTrimDownIncrement</EventName>

</Down>

</Entry>

to 240 (thinking from the logic of my screens refreshrate in multiples which is doing 60hz ) and (joystick is doing something like 120hz (i dunno))

(i have a Logi Force 3d pro)

And surprise , surprise , Now It`s Absolutely Perfect ( 1 click changes the trim 1 point and holding changes it progressively)

I`m really happy with it now. :smile:

I notice there is a CenterRollYawTrim, is there a CenterPitchTrim? I'd like to be able to quickly zero my trim when getting ready for takeoffs. Or does CenterRollYawTrim actually zero out all three?

Just tried something new yesterday and set the

<Entry>

<Index>2</Index>

<Down>

<EventName>FlightControls.PitchTrimUpIncrement</EventName>

</Down>

</Entry>

and

<Entry>

<Index>4</Index>

<Down>

<EventName>FlightControls.PitchTrimDownIncrement</EventName>

</Down>

</Entry>

to 240 (thinking from the logic of my screens refreshrate in multiples which is doing 60hz ) and (joystick is doing something like 120hz (i dunno))

(i have a Logi Force 3d pro)

And surprise , surprise , Now It`s Absolutely Perfect ( 1 click changes the trim 1 point and holding changes it progressively)

I`m really happy with it now. :smile:

GREAT, made that sticky or add it to Tutorials.

I notice there is a CenterRollYawTrim, is there a CenterPitchTrim? I'd like to be able to quickly zero my trim when getting ready for takeoffs. Or does CenterRollYawTrim actually zero out all three?

No apparently there is not a CenterPitchTrim event.

Only one available is <EventName>FlightControls.CenterRollYawTrim</EventName> and it won't center pitch trim.

No apparently there is not a CenterPitchTrim event.

That would certainly be a nice one to add to go along with center roll yaw trim.

Slightly off topic, but applicable to this thread...

Is there any edit that can be made to any "cfg" or "xml" file in Flight that will increase the amount of time the little windows ("tool tips" from the FSX days) stay open when you hold your mouse pointer over an instrument on the instrument panel? Reason is I can hold my mouse pointer over the VSI (Vertical Speed Indicator) and it will show the RATE of climb or descent and the TREND as to whether it is increasing or decreasing. I have found this works well for "bracketing" an elevator trim setting...eventually the rate will stabilize if the climb and descent trends are close in FPM. I have managed to get a +/- 2 FPM in level flight doing this. But currently the window only stays open for a short time before it closes, and you have to "jiggle your mouse pointer" to get it too open again. Makes it a pain trying to watch the trend changes as they happen.

It would be nice if the window would STAY open as long as the mouse pointer was over the instrument.

Rick Ryan

I saw your post on this topic............I am having the same problem with the trim on my Saitek yoke. It was so bad that today I ordered the Saitek trim wheel hoping that it would improve the trim adjustments.

I would like to make this change also...........I found the Standard.xml file in the Microsoft Flight Simulator folder. I do not know how to make changes to this file..........could you please explain.

Do you have to copy the whole file into note pad and make changes there and then change it back to an XLM file. I am very new at this file management but ....you can make a lot of improvements with this knowledge.

thank you Bert.,

chas

The best way to edit the standard.xml file is to open it in Notepad. The easiest way is to open a blank Notepad and drag the file onto the open Notepad.

Then you make the necessary edits and just save the file.

Best to make a copy of the file before you edit it, in case you have to revert.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

On a similar note, can anyone tell me how to change the HAT switch's smoothness in the virtual cockpit? For example, using mouse look (holding down the right mouse button whilst panning in the virtual cockpit) is smooth; however, using my Saitek X52 HAT switch to pan around the virtual cockpit is rough and not as smooth. Any ideas would be hugely appreciated!

Great topic - thank you!