Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

Ivy Bridge / Sandy Bridge: What would you chose?

Ive read somewhere the Ivy gets higher temperature?

Correct. Intel lowered production costs by using a different type of thermal paste between the metal plate and the chip under it, meaning there was poor thermal conductivity. This meant that during overclocks, a lot of the heat wouldn't be dissipated, causing high temperatures.

IMO, go for the 2500k and do a heavy overclock (4.8GHz Water Cooling ;) )

- Luke

I don't know Tech. You get 7 FPS more than ramrunner & HLJames at the same clocks both CPU & RAM, all else being equal (including PCIe 3.0). At this point and until there are more IB samples in FSMark11, I can only consider yours the odd result to discard. You also got a bigger boost from 2133 RAM, when again both ramrunner & HLJames saw a 6% boost as expected (looking at benchmark in any other platform I've tested: AM3, P55 & P67+SB: in all of them going from 1600 to 2133 provided a consistent 5-6% boost)

The only other differentiating factor is that I leave Lucid Virtu MVP technology *enabled*. I'm having to reload my system once more due to an SSD firmware update so I'll test again without it and see what happens.