Sign in to follow this  
Bandyair

How to use PMDG 737 NGX FMC in conjunction with FSX ATC

Andrew,

I asked the same question a while ago in the PMDG 737NGX forum and got a very nice 'quick & dirty' tut by Kevin Hall. I also love the 737NGX but like to do short, one hour IFR flights only, using default ATC and simple VOR to VOR nav. ( i did let them know up front that i am well aware of the fact that my question might well be considered as blasphemy... :smile: )

Here is Kevin's answer, works great ! :

-----------------------------------------------

Yes it can be done. For altitude changes I'd recommend using Level Change. Using V/S mode is less realistic and more work over larger altitude changes. Just dial in the altitude you want and select the LVL CHG mode. The aircraft will climb or descend at the current IAS. You can also select the IAS/Mach you want to fly at with this mode. Make sure autothrottle switch is ARMed. Engines automatically go to climb thrust if the selected altitude is higher than current, or idle if lower than current.

To get the ILS glideslope to work you will need to let the FMC know what the destination runway is. The "quick and dirty" way to do this, without entering a full flight plan, is as follows (note LSK means Line Select Key and refers to the keys on either side of the FMC CDU screen):

1. On the FMC CDU select RTE key then enter origin and destination airport ICAO codes. Key the origin airport ICAO code first then click the LSK next to ORIGIN, then key in the destination code and enter using the LSK next to DEST.

2. Select DEP/ARR index page form the FMC CDU keyboard.

3. Select the top left LSK (<DEP) then choose the departure runway (you don't have to do this, but it will enable the FMC to compute V1, Vr and V2 for you)

4. If you entered the departure runway select INDEX (bottom left LSK) to get back to the DEP/ARR index.

5. Select the LSK next to the Destination airport ARR> (second top right).

6. Use the righthand side LSK to select the ILS runway you plan to land on. You may need to use NEXT PAGE/PREV PAGE to find it.

7. Select RTE page again (or select the ROUTE prompt by the bottom right LSK)

8. Select ACTIVATE (bottom right LSK)

9. The EXEC key will light up and you should press it to execute. This lets the system know you intend to follow the glideslope.

It looks like a complex procedure but it's actually very quick and intuitive.

Note, if ATC gives you a different ILS runway, go back throught the DEP/ARR index page and select the new ILS runway (step 5 onwards). If you change destination airport en-route you will have to re-enter the departure airport to enable entry of a new destination.

As you thought, you will need to at least enter the aircraft weight on the PERF INIT page. Just click the LSK next to ZFW twice, once to put the computed value in the scratchpad and once to insert it. Fuel weight is automatically entered. You should now be good to go to fly using traditional VOR navigation and follow ATC instructions.

However learning to use the FMC flight plan is the way to go long term. It really isn't that difficult. You can enter the FSX IFR flightplan using data given in the kneepad navlog page.

---------------------------

Cheers,

Jan

Jan

Surely, even if flying by hand, you still want to program the FMC. Programming the FMC doesn't mean flying with the autopilot on. Even if you hand-fly the entire flight, you still want to program the FMC, surely? Even if you're just flying circuits, do you know what your reference speeds are? It's not possible to fly these aircraft properly without at least some basic information and planning and like others say, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes anyway.

You say you want to enjoy the flight model rather than pushing buttons, but again, the flight model will only reward you if you know how heavy you are and what your proper speeds should be etc. If you skip the planning completely, how do you know when to rotate for takeoff? Kind of defeats the point of the flight model.

Maybe the pilots in the PMDGNGX forum would also have helpful answers.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Andrew,

I asked the same question a while ago in the PMDG 737NGX forum and got a very nice 'quick & dirty' tut by Kevin Hall. I also love the 737NGX but like to do short, one hour IFR flights only, using default ATC and simple VOR to VOR nav. ( i did let them know up front that i am well aware of the fact that my question might well be considered as blasphemy... :smile: )

Yes it can be done. For altitude changes I'd recommend using Level Change. Using V/S mode is less realistic and more work over larger altitude changes. Just dial in the altitude you want and select the LVL CHG mode. The aircraft will climb or descend at the current IAS. You can also select the IAS/Mach you want to fly at with this mode. Make sure autothrottle switch is ARMed. Engines automatically go to climb thrust if the selected altitude is higher than current, or idle if lower than current.

To get the ILS glideslope to work you will need to let the FMC know what the destination runway is. The "quick and dirty" way to do this, without entering a full flight plan, is as follows (note LSK means Line Select Key and refers to the keys on either side of the FMC CDU screen):

1. On the FMC CDU select RTE key then enter origin and destination airport ICAO codes. Key the origin airport ICAO code first then click the LSK next to ORIGIN, then key in the destination code and enter using the LSK next to DEST.

3. Select the top left LSK (<DEP) then choose the departure runway (you don't have to do this, but it will enable the FMC to compute V1, Vr and V2 for you)

4. If you entered the departure runway select INDEX (bottom left LSK) to get back to the DEP/ARR index.

6. Use the righthand side LSK to select the ILS runway you plan to land on. You may need to use NEXT PAGE/PREV PAGE to find it.

9. The EXEC key will light up and you should press it to execute. This lets the system know you intend to follow the glideslope.

Note, if ATC gives you a different ILS runway, go back throught the DEP/ARR index page and select the new ILS runway (step 5 onwards). If you change destination airport en-route you will have to re-enter the departure airport to enable entry of a new destination.

As you thought, you will need to at least enter the aircraft weight on the PERF INIT page. Just click the LSK next to ZFW twice, once to put the computed value in the scratchpad and once to insert it. Fuel weight is automatically entered. You should now be good to go to fly using traditional VOR navigation and follow ATC instructions.

However learning to use the FMC flight plan is the way to go long term. It really isn't that difficult. You can enter the FSX IFR flightplan using data given in the kneepad navlog page.

Cheers,

Jan

Andrew,

Cheers,

Jan

Thanks Bruce,

Before reading your comment I just put in a flight. What I did was simply programmed the FMC for a direct route and some fuel and performance data. I let ATC to handle the flight until I reached cruising altitude at that point I switched on the auto pilot and LNAV, ignored the ATC handover let the FMC guide the plane to about 70NM from the destination where I slowed down time to normal got in contact with ATC again and I got nicely vectored in for an ILS approach that I handled myself completely and hand landed the plane. Happy ending:) So yes pretty similar to what you have just posted I will try that approach as well I think this is a more satisfying way to learn the complex FMC programming while we still can enjoy flying. Learning the whole process all at once does put off a lot of people. I just don't get why there are no such quick and dirty tutorials as not everyone have time/wants to fly by the book.

Cheers

Andrew

Surely, even if flying by hand, you still want to program the FMC. Programming the FMC doesn't mean flying with the autopilot on. Even if you hand-fly the entire flight, you still want to program the FMC, surely? Even if you're just flying circuits, do you know what your reference speeds are? It's not possible to fly these aircraft properly without at least some basic information and planning and like others say, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes anyway.

You say you want to enjoy the flight model rather than pushing buttons, but again, the flight model will only reward you if you know how heavy you are and what your proper speeds should be etc. If you skip the planning completely, how do you know when to rotate for takeoff? Kind of defeats the point of the flight model.

Hear hear and I agree however learning how the aircraft behaves under certain conditions also comes with experince not only from the computer;) I fly and build large RC models/jets where CG calculation is most important etc... so I have basic understanding of these things.

Hey Bruce,

Yep that is what I want exactly fly take offs and approaches in full manual in all sorts of weather conditions and let the FMC handle the boring part. What could be more fun than in huge cross winds arriving at NZ Queenstown's short runway between mountains over the lake with ORBX NZ installed?? Faaantastic:) Just got my new 3930K 4.5GHz no frame rate drops in these situations epic fun.

BTW I got interested in this great little airport when were about to take off in real life but the wind and pressure suddenly changed and from that moment on we were too heavy to take off so a few people had to get off:)

Thanks heaps for the good input.

Andrew

No worries- I live in the Denver area but am originally from Greymouth (NZGM)- never flown into Queenstown though, but have driven there several times.....

I find that using my saved flights into airports and changing the weather (sometimes AS2012 can use previous real wx to give some good variations, and I can load my FSX flight-plan into AS2012 for wx smoothing) can inrtoduce variety. Then if you have a ground handling application that again enhances realism- and even just different times of day and even different liveries for various carriers who have different gates set up so the taxi routes are different- try some of that at somewhere like KORD or KJFK and it gets really interesting......

Good luck with learning the NGX. Bruce.

Thanks will do. Any tips for a good ground handling app? Try NZQN ORBX stunning and quite challenging.

I use GSX, and like it. I also do have the ORBX/FTX NZSI scenery, it is so accurate it's amazing! I like to fly low and slow along the coast-to-coast railway (Midland line) from Greymouth to Christchurch, I have done that train trip so many times and it must rate among the best in the world......

My wife is flying down there next week through LAX to sell my mother's house (she's now in assisted living)... one of Air New Zealand's B77W both ways....

Thanks, Bruce.

For circuits I either program it once for v speeds and trim and set it up that same way each time I want to do circuits.. Or you can use topcat..

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB