Sign in to follow this  
mfastx

CTD caused by "nvd3dum.dll"

After a new install of FSX on Windows 7 x64, FSX is randomly crashing when clicking on in-game menus. Note: this is not the UIAutomationcore.dll problem, FSX is not crashing because of clicking the menu bar, it crashes if I, say, change the weather theme and click "ok," FSX will load and when it's at 100%, it will crash. Also, I am occasionally getting crashes when clicking "end flight" but I believe that is due to the ENB series that's installed, as it references "d3d9.dll" and NOT "nvd3dum.dll." I believe that "nvd.3dum.dll" is a nVidia problem but I have the lastest driver for my 660 Ti. Should I try and use an earlier driver?

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: nvd3dum.dll, version: 9.18.13.1070, time stamp: 0x50b976f2

Exception code: 0xc0000005

You are right about the nvd3dum.dll being related to Nvidia but it isn't a Nvidia problem. It's an installation problem. Make sure you have any anti-virus program temporarily disabled while installing the new updated driver. Make sure you have UAC disabled. Nvidia has gotten better with updating drivers by installing the update over the previous driver. I think the best way to install new drivers is to go into the Device Manager, select your Display Adapter, click on properties and select Uninstall. When the confirmation screen shows up, tick the box to delete previous drivers, close then reinstall the new drivers. You no longer need to run a display driver cleaner and I wouldn't recommend it.

The 131.70 are the latest WHQL drivers so I would keep them. Make sure that ENB mod d3d9.dll is removed too as this could be the cause of the nvd3dum.dll error too. The d3d9.dll hack does not work for fsx for most people. You'll have to look for an alternative. Make sure you also remove the enb.ini too.

Best regards,

Jim

EDIT: "The 131.70 are the latest WHQL drivers". What was I thinking??? LOL! I mean't the 310.70 WHQL drivers. In a rush to get to the golf course I suspect. :lol:

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

You are right about the nvd3dum.dll being related to Nvidia but it isn't a Nvidia problem. It's an installation problem. Make sure you have any anti-virus program temporarily disabled while installing the new updated driver. Make sure you have UAC disabled. Nvidia has gotten better with updating drivers by installing the update over the previous driver. I think the best way to install new drivers is to go into the Device Manager, select your Display Adapter, click on properties and select Uninstall. When the confirmation screen shows up, tick the box to delete previous drivers, close then reinstall the new drivers. You no longer need to run a display driver cleaner and I wouldn't recommend it.

The 131.70 are the latest WHQL drivers so I would keep them. Make sure that ENB mod d3d9.dll is removed too as this could be the cause of the nvd3dum.dll error too. The d3d9.dll hack does not work for fsx for most people. You'll have to look for an alternative. Make sure you also remove the enb.ini too.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks for the response Jim. I did what you suggested and actually installed the 307.97 driver and since have been unable to recreate the crash. I tried to get it to crash by doing all of the usual triggers but was unsuccessful. So for now I'm hoping the issue has been solved. I will report back if I experience any other issues.

Thanks again.

I did what you suggested and actually installed the 307.97 driver and since have been unable to recreate the crash.

Glad you were able to get it sorted. It's a nasty CTD that many have seen. It's happening less and less though.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Unfortunately I experienced another crash. They happen very rarely, but occasionally they do happen. This is basically off of a clean FSX install, with Bojote's Shader 3.0 Mod installed. The crash has only happened once since I updated to the latest driver and removed the ENB "d3d9.dll" file (and all other ENB files). I experience this crash only when I click on a menu in-game and reload the sim from a changed setting (for example, I'll change from "day" to "night" and when the sim finishes reloading, it'll crash. Or, when I click on a menu item, it will mysteriously crash.) This is the message I'm getting:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: nvd3dum.dll, version: 9.18.13.1070, time stamp: 0x50b976f2

Fault offset: 0x0065938a

Faulting process id: 0x548

Faulting application start time: 0x01cde6f0d4f06b2c

Faulting application path: F:\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvd3dum.dll

Report Id: 4792e3bb-52e4-11e2-9923-10bf4885b864

I am on a modest overclock, do you think that could be it? What does this exception code usually mean? (BTW, my CPU is overclocked but my graphics card is not.)

Just happened again. That little bugger is killing me. Happens about once every 20 times. This usually happens when I click "fly now" and right when I reach 100% loading, I get the CTD.

Fault offset: 0x0065938a

Faulting process id: 0x1180

Faulting application start time: 0x01cde736884bf3c8

Faulting application path: F:\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvd3dum.dll

Report Id: f3fbe710-5329-11e2-8e4f-10bf4885b864

I have concluded that it is the latest 310.70 driver, this crash never happened on the 306.xx drivers. I can't seem to figure out how to make ther current driver work correctly, theoretically the newer drivers shouldn't make any difference in FSX.

Hi Jim

I've got the same problem since i install D3D9.dll without enb.ini

I installed this dll because i've got some problem when i change the view from windowed mode to full screen mode, i need to close fsx by ctrl alt supp.

With this dll, i've got the cdt "nvd3dum.dll" only when i close fsx but i can switch to windowed to full screen mode without problem.

Thanks

Frédéric Giraud

I've got the same problem since i install D3D9.dll without enb.ini

The d3d9.dll does not belong in the FSX main directory. Delete it. It is part of your Direct X installation and the correct d3d9.dll was installed in your operating system's directory. Only when you have ENB installed should you have this dll in your fsx directory.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM