Sign in to follow this  
JimBeamBlack

New to X-Plane 10 Hat switch look around controls question

Hello all,

I have looked around the internet and I cannot for the life of me find a simple answer to the question, How do I make my hat switch work in X-Plane 10 to be able to pan around the 3-D cockpit?

I have a Thrusmaster T Flight HOTAS X joystick and the hat switch works fully with FSX and all my other flight sims, but I cannot get it to work well with X-Plane 10.

Is there a specific setting I can use to make the hat switch just pan around?

thanks for any help, and sorry to be any bother,

RC

Hi RC,

I found this hat switch plug-in by Chris Strosser very useful when setting up my hat switch in XP10 for my saitek yoke. It may not be the ideal solution but it does work...kind of.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=15973

By the way, a little off topic, what's your HOTAS thustmaster like? The wife has just bought me one for my birthday, it was £100 off in the January sale, so I couldn't really argue with that! Problem is my birthday is in March... :mellow: The box is just sitting there in our living room, unopen, just staring me in the face! :mad: Can't wait to try it with DCS: A10!

Rhydian

The really bad thing about a Toyota Camry is that the headlight switch is the same as the windshield wiper switch on my Taurus. So when I recently rented a Camry and tried to turn on the wipers in during an evening rain shower, I turned off my headlights. I then had to find the switch on the right side of the steering column in order to operate the wipers, which was not that convenient...

Hey, don't be bashin the Camry, love mine.....best car I have ever owned......hmm.....besides my two Z28's

Sorry, back on topic :smile:

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Hey, don't be bashin the Camry, love mine.....best car I have ever owned......hmm.....besides my two Z28's

Sorry, back on topic

It's a great car. Really enjoyed it for the week I had it. Just got a little frustrated at the switch placement til I got used to it. Then I came home and kept turning the wipers on in my moo-cow when all I wanted was to see at night!

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

That's the really bad thing?

Wouldn't it have been easier to ask "Is there a way to use the hat switch for panning around the aircraft and exterior?"

Well I have been emailing Ben several times and despite him telling that they would maybe fix it, nothing happened yet..

PS : Lexus are great cars.

too much, too soon....

The really bad thing with XP10 is that if you configure your hatswitch to pan around the VC, once you get out of the plane (spot view which is called Circle) you just pan around yourself instead of the plane and this is really bad that the software does not recognize the situation and adapt the pan function like it did in XP9 or FSX or any other games..... then you have to use the keyboard arrow to pan around the aircrfat which is not that convenient...

When in inside or outside view, hold the right mouse button down and use the mouse to look around. Gets round that problem.

Also, you can assign numberpad 0 to 8 (I think it goes to 8) to preset views for each aircraft you fly. Set the view you want by using the cursor left right, up and down keys (NOT the numberpad ones) to move, then use the right click mouselook to angle how you want the view. Hold the CTRL key down then press the 1 key on the numberpad. (Numlock ON) . Do the same for any other view you want to set up. Once you have all the keys assigned, just press the number and it will jump to that view. You can then set joystick buttons with the keyboad shortcut so you can move views easily. Don't forget, mousewheel scroll zooms in and out as well.

Although I have my hat switch set up I've found that right clicking on the mouse to pan around works much faster than using the wheel to zoom.

Exterior just use the arrow keys to pan and right click to move the camera. Use the , and . to move forwards and backwards in the VC and Exterior.

You'll take to it in no time.

There are so many camera functions it's just a joy to use.

F1 though F9 flips the views from Exterior, Fly by, VC, Tower etc.

When you find any interior or wing views (or any view for that matter) that you like, use Ctrl + any number on the number keypad to save that view.

Some aircraft come pre-configured with keypad views already set so check before you overwrite.

The really bad thing with XP10 is that if you configure your hatswitch to pan around the VC, once you get out of the plane (spot view which is called Circle) you just pan around yourself instead of the plane and this is really bad that the software does not recognize the situation and adapt the pan function like it did in XP9 or FSX or any other games..... then you have to use the keyboard arrow to pan around the aircrfat which is not that convenient...

I simply use the arrow keys the few times  I am in outside view.

Ooooh do I feel your pain guys, but the perseverance is worth it...

Here's a summary...

Without TrackIR:

Internal 3D view: Map the 4 hat-switch buttons to *PAN* left/right/up/down fast.

External circle view: Use the 4 arrow keys on the keyboard to pan, or hold right mouse button and drag.

With TrackIR:

Internal 3D view: Activate TrackIR in XP and configure your profile to taste in the TIR software *OR* use the PilotView plugin for more flexible TIR views.

External circle view: Map the 4 hat-switch buttons to *MOVE* left/right/up/down fast.

When I moved to XP I was initially disappointed with the whole panning situation.

I have it set up how Dave has described.

Without TrackIR:
Internal 3D view: Map the 4 hat-switch buttons to *PAN* left/right/up/down fast.
External circle view: Use the 4 arrow keys on the keyboard to pan, or hold right mouse button and drag.

Now I way prefer it to the way you pan around in FSX, it's much much faster using the mouse!

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

When in inside or outside view, hold the right mouse button down and use the mouse to look around. Gets round that problem.

That's what I do. Works great once you get used to it.

The lack of 8-way hat switch support is a bigger problem, IMO. This should be included out of the box.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Thank you all very much.  The commands on the far right do make the hat switch work.  I seems like they have tried to hide this little bit of info. Now I can fly again.   Bob

Can anyone tell me why mouse look is disabled when Track IR is in use? Biggest frustration for me! Even if tir is paused I can't use mouse look

If I load XP without first starting tir I can use mouse look

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I don't know for sure, but I have been using x-camera to control lots of things, including my TrackIR. When you do this, you turn off the TrackIR selection in X-Plane. That might enable the mouse look. If not, it offers many view options within the program.

John

John Wingold