Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

QW's Avro vs. Majestic's Dash8

In the great  Spy vs Spy series :rolleyes: ...

I'm looking for a short/medium hauler, shorter runway able, modernish kind of aircraft. Both the QW and Majestic's have had excellent reviews, and seem  to be on the good side for framerate on a mid-performance computer.

For those who have both, what does differentiate them for the best (and the less good)  ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

The majestic was designed to train real world pilots so if you want realism get it.

• Upvote 2

I have both, and the Majestic Q400 is better IMO. FPS wise Majestic is probably better because it uses an external program to simulate FDE and systems, compared to the QWings Avro RJ which is a conventional FSX addon.

Also consider that the BAe-146/Avro RJ is going out of service, while the Q400 is still in production.

Difficult choice, and to be honest it is hard to compare those two.

I have spent much more time "driving" RJ than Q400

For me RJ is so enjoyable to fly, and for time being it would be my choice.

FPS wise is not worse than Q400, VC is amazing, handling is so nice, and is bug free contrary to Q400 ...

The only disadvantage is some simplicity of some systems, but it is not so much noticeable on the other hand.

But to be honest - buy both, u will enjoy them in full range.

Artur 

The RJ is a quirky aeroplane, having four little jets. So it's something different. The 8D is its replacement in many cases, so yes, it's a newer plane. The Majestic is probably the better sim plane, but take nothing away from the RJ. The RJ is more automated, having the auto-throttle, if that spins your wheels. I find the autoland a bit dicky, so I don't use it.

Mike

Majestic >>>>> Qw avro

The qw is no longer installed :) next to go is The j41

Thanks to all.

The RJ is a quirky aeroplane, having four little jets. So it's something different. The 8D is its replacement in many cases, so yes, it's a newer plane. The Majestic is probably the better sim plane, but take nothing away from the RJ. The RJ is more automated, having the auto-throttle, if that spins your wheels. I find the autoland a bit dicky, so I don't use it.

Mike

What do you mean by quirky : unstable FDE  ? About the autoland ,that's a good point as I'm not fond at all of it either...

Difficult choice, and to be honest it is hard to compare those two.

I have spent much more time "driving" RJ than Q400

For me RJ is so enjoyable to fly, and for time being it would be my choice.

FPS wise is not worse than Q400, VC is amazing, handling is so nice, and is bug free contrary to Q400 ...

The only disadvantage is some simplicity of some systems, but it is not so much noticeable on the other hand.

But to be honest - buy both, u will enjoy them in full range.

I may buy both indeed but available time to play is short. so I will buy one then the other.  Which systems which are included in the Dash are absent from the RJ ? 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I meant the actual aeroplane is quirky, not being your run of the mill twin jet/turboprop tube. I was trying NOT to suggest the QW model is, although obviously failed miserably!

Mike

obviously failed miserably!

Mike

nope, very useful to me :smile:

Dominique

Not even comparable if you ask me, the Majestic Q400 is on a whole different level. I did buy the QualityWings Avro RJ for FSX upon its release but I returned it for a refund, such was my disappointment.

Things may have improved on the QW Avro RJ since then because of service packs, but for my tastes it was over simplified and had some annoying bugs. It's a real shame since the QW Avro RJ was very likeable in many respects, but the systems let the rest of the package down.

• Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I prefer the QW Avro,s Im not saying the QW Avro is better than the MJ Q400 .i know the Avro fmc so can make use of it.  untill there is a Decent Tutorial for the Q400  I prefer the Avro

Jason Richards

it was over simplified and had some annoying bugs.

Could you give few examples ?

Dominique

They are both absolutely worth getting! What I especially like about the QW is the VC, nightlighting and general ambience. As Mike said, the Dash8 is probably the more deep sim but the QW has enough to keep you busy. My only "problem" with the QW is that I have this thing about flying only RL routes with the right equipment on VATSIM, so the options for the QW are a tad limited. If it's either or, pick the Dash8 but if money is no issue, get both!

Disclaimer - I have flown the QW only in FS9 so I can't say anything about bugs in the FSX version. In FS9 I so far haven't noticed any showstopper!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Could you give few examples ?

I could have at the time, I've since forgotten most of them, but I'll try anyway:

• The VNAV was nearly useless; it didn't like you adding in restrictions after you'd reached ToC and would frequently refuse to recalculate the descent profile to account for new restrictions. I remember on several flights it would say I was too high or too low when the opposite was true. I did post a bug report with screenshots and I wasn't satisfied with the response I received, which was the impetus for my refund request.
  • QualityWings had said you could do all normal flows/checklists with it, but you couldn't because some of the necessary systems weren't implemented (e.g. testing the fire alarms on first flight of the day)
  • Some things that weren't all that important just bugged me because I thought they were lazy, e.g. the TCAS wouldn't filter for ABV/BLW, which in other aircraft I set during climb and descent.
  • There were a few errors about how the hydraulics and pneumatics worked in certain configurations (admittedly I think these would have been abnormals)
  • In general I was surprised how buggy it was on release, considering it had already been on FS9 for some time I had expect most of them to have been ironed out before the FSX version appear (service packs have probably fixed those by now)

I had quite a comprehensive list of "gripes" at the time but it was some time ago now. And I do have high standards for addons; many people found the QW perfectly lovely but I couldn't put up with its shortcomings at the price I paid.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

The RJ- is a lovely product with great textures and nice systems but it is not in the same league as the Q-. Quality Wings motto is "Complexity....Simplified" so that should tell you all you need to know about the systems. The textures, in my mind, are comparable but that's about it. The RJ is a nice plane to fly though but the Q is on another level.