Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

NLS A380 PROJECT: Officially Cancelled. Oppurtunity?

Hi guys,

After pesting Oliver for an update on the product, this status was released this morning.

"Alright, here we go. I am indeed VERY sad to announce that we have to cancel the A380 for the time beeing. Its a very hard descision for me as the A380 has always been somewhat "my baby" and I have been working on it since 2007. But things are moving in a different direction now so I had to make a choice. I was always afraid to give up, having in mind the thousands of working hours that have gone into the project so far. Giving it up would make all of that worthless. I am very sorry to disappoint you people here - but I don't have a choice. 

To be honest, I wasn't able to continue the project for the last 12-15 months because I have started out with a new business (doing film, commercials, features and 3d animation), I have invested a lot of money into a new studio, camera systems, stuff. That lays great pressure upon me, needing to get the business going. After all, flight simulation would not pay my bills. Not at this point.

I haven't talked to Chris Kögler, the systems programmer for quite a while, which was due to my lack of time, moving to the new office, working long hours - that made it get lost somehow. I will need to talk to him very soon about this descision but I am sure he sees it the same way. The discussion for cancelling the project had been up for quite a while.

So what now? The project had quite a lot of innovations and cool things in it - however, it's still far from beeing completed. The flight model is not done, the 3D model is in the middle of a big revision (wings, flight deck). The systems show a 100% accurate visual representation of the real thing, however, the systems core is virtually not there, due to the lack of a finalised flight model and physics system. Overall, it's far away from a releaseable version.

So why not pass the source files to someone else to continue? Of course, for you as a flight simmer, that would be the best way to go to keep up the hope of flying it one day. However, as a developer, who has put all of his heart and time into it over the past years, it's not that simple. I know, Chris will definetly not give away his source codes, since he has so many innovative and new things in it, that he had wrote/invented that I can understand, that he will not give them away just like that. For me, as a 3D artist it's also difficult, leaving your own work to someone elses hand.

We still have to decide what to do with all the material.

Still, I want to thank ALL OF YOU for the great support over the years. It has always been - and still is - a great motivation. And I am sorry that we cannot fulfill your expectations. However, I hope you understand our points.

Thank you,
Oliver Braun
Next Level Simulations

"

My question would be then,, will anyone take the files from the team and finish the project?

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

A bit of wasted time.

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

Not surprised to be honest.

It is a shame, as this had so much potential. Hopefully someone will unravel that dust sheet that has accumulated over the past year and continue this project.

• Upvote 3

IDK why but all these type of Airbus fever started in 2007 by many developers like Airsimmer ,AirlinersXp and NLS.. and all ended up. Was it just an Hit & Trial ? :/

• Upvote 1

1y329d.jpg

IDK why but all these type of Airbus fever started in 2007 by many developers like Airsimmer ,AirlinersXp and NLS.. and all ended up. Was it just an Hit & Trial ? :/

I think it is because the overall complexity of an Airbus aircraft is often largely underestimated by developers. The A380 is even more complex than the A320/330/340 aircraft and I can not begin to imagine how complex the A350 will be.

Not to say Boeing aircraft aren't complex. In contrary I would say, but they still seem to be a bit more conventional than Airbusses. No idea about the 787 though...

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

No opportunity until they decide what they want to do with their source codes etc, and to be honest, why would one team pick up a project which clearly bogged down another team? Only a few I can think of that could manage it probably don't work in that way, picking up someone else's work that is!

This just in 

" I am thinking about releasing the source files for other developers to fiddle around with. However, that will only apply for the 3D model work (3dsmax native). Not the systems and gauges/displays"
~
"
So if someone (with appropriate references and knowledge) is seriously interested in that, please contact me."

OOO so who is in? :P 

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

If someone is looking to create a high quality A380 the model is probably not at the top of their difficult to-do list. But I could be wrong maybe someone will want it, it might save them time.

At this point I think Aerosoft is our best bet for the 380.

Shame about NLS though, they're obviously passionate about it.

Lee

No opportunity until they decide what they want to do with their source codes etc, and to be honest, why would one team pick up a project which clearly bogged down another team? Only a few I can think of that could manage it probably don't work in that way, picking up someone else's work that is!

Well the developer seems to say that his new business was the main reason why the project failed, not it being too complicated or difficult necessary.

I'm sure somebody with enough talent and experience could complete it, I hope that would happen. 

Well the developer seems to say that his new business was the main reason why the project failed, not it being too complicated or difficult necessary.

I'm sure somebody with enough talent and experience could complete it, I hope that would happen. 

Likewise, but after vising the simulators following my company pending their delivery I wouldn't imagine it is very easy..what is easy is saying you are sure it is! 

Unfortunately folks have to pay the bills. 

I was just thinking, its too bad that the plane manufactures can't/don't put some p.r. efforts into making FS planes with their capabilities and they could "hire" guys like this to help them.

Not sure of the business end, doubt it would pay for itself or certainly not make them any big coin but they have the resources to actually make it happen.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Aerosoft is our best bet for the 380

Seriously?

I still haven't tested whether their A320 can finally fly all radial-interception and DME-arc procedures flawlessly, as it should have done from the beginning, 5 months ago.

And they are "our best bet" for an A380?

The only bet we have for a good A380, is FS-Labs, after their A320 and A330.

• Upvote 4

Aerosoft is our best bet for the 380

Seriously?

I still haven't tested whether their A320 can finally fly all radial-interception and DME-arc procedures flawlessly, as it should have done from the beginning, 5 months ago.

And they are "our best bet" for an A380?

The only bet we have for a good A380, is FS-Labs, after their A320 and A330.

Yes seriously.

I didn't say it would be the best A380 but how long do you think it'll take FSL to get an A380 done with all their other projects. 3-5 years at least with how much work goes into them.

I'm waiting for the FSL too but the AAX or AXE or whatever it is now is the best A320 currently available and Aerosoft could start work on the A380 quickly and it wouldn't be Abacus quality.

And try not to be so combative in your posts we're having a conversation not an argument.

Lee

• Upvote 5

...not it being too complicated or difficult necessary

The fact that he said that, does not mean it is the truth.

Unfortunately, the number of developers that do not tell the truth, are increasing lately, instead of the other way around.

He may be hiding the truth, just to save face -> not to admit that by beginning an A380 FSX project, he bit much more that he could chew, he was well over his head.