Sign in to follow this  
CaptainKen

Can anyone PLEASE help me?

My problem is with Megascenery Earth 2.  I have 15 states that I bought.  Some work terrific - some are disasters.  By disaster, I mean that FSX just shuts down completely.  The problem is with Nevada, Ohio and Indiana in particular.  Other states work just fine.  I have installed per manufacturer's instructions.  The CTD happens somewhere during the flight - maybe 5 minutes in, may be 20 minutes in.  It's like it gets to a part of the state, can't find the scenery and just crashes.  I have a good computer, great video card, get great FPS and am using windows 7 64 bit.  Florida works flawlessly - so does NY, Alabama, north Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas and Texas.  What could the problem possibly be?  I have "uninstalled" the scenery from fsx (settings/scenery display), then reloaded.  No luck.

I have contacted the Megascenery people via their help/support, but so far heard back nothing via email.  This has happened to me about 15 times.

Maybe I am doing something wrong.  I just don't know what it is.  I installed the scenery via purchased disks.  I have spent over $500 on this so far, so please understand my frustration.  If anyone has any ideas, please post them.  I was so desperate that a week ago, I completely uninstalled FSX, and re-installed it.  After the hours of re-loading all my stuff, I tried again.  This morning I flew Birmingham Alabama to Tallahassee Fl - NO Problems.  @ hours later, I tried to fly form Nebraska to SD.  But about 5 minutes into the flight it shut down - same issue, only I don't know what it is.  As I said before, I did follow the Mfr. instructions as best I know them.  I have stuff turned way - up in fsx, but still get good frame rates - so that isn't the problem.

An\y ideas?  Thanks to anyone responding to this in advance.  I appreciate your effort.

Ken

Any error messages generated? If so, please post the message.

Go to Event Viewer and see if there is an error log from FSX. Pasting the log here may be helpful.

Brandon Filer

OK here is the last one

fsx.exe

475e17d3

util.dll

475e180d

c0000005

00022d5a

be0

01ce7a651e9df8f0

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\util.dll

fa80e350-e65d-11e2-8ce8-00038a000015

If this helps you help me, here is the previous one - I won't post the others till I hear from you - I don't want to waste froum space - anyhow here it is:

fsx.exe

475e17d3

XAudio2_6.dll

4b6b0791

c0000005

0002cbef

a8

01ce7a47e3ab0610

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

C:\Windows\SysWow64\XAudio2_6.dll

7f28afc0-e63b-11e2-8ce8-00038a000015

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Crash To Desktop (CTD) Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Crash was caused by the XAudio2_6.dll.  People who have had this crash have had to update their sound card drivers.  If you have an internal sound card like from Creative Blaster, download and install that driver.  If you only have the sound that is built into your MB, then you need to update that too.  I would recommend you download and run one of those scanners that looks for drivers on your computer.  I use Driver Scanner.  Once downloaded, run it and it will see if any drivers need to be updated.  If so, it will offer to download and update all of the old drivers you have installed but you will have to purchase the product and register it first.  Some who are Internet savvy can take a look at the drivers that are out of date and do a search and go online and find the updated drivers and install them. 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I updated the video and sound drivers with the help of a "pay" service.  Still no solution.  But I know more about the problem - just not the solution.  In the purchased scenery, there are some small "gaps" of missing megascenery.  When the plane nears any of these it crashes.  If I refly, without the megascenery, there is no crash and the flight cannot be completed.  I wrote to the megascenery people, and hopefully will get a reply.  In the mean time, if anyone has any ideas, pleas express them.  I hate the thought of having to turn off the scenery - especially at its price.  Thanks to all who responded and tried to help.

Ken

That's impossible Ken that any missing scenery would cause an XAudio2_6.dll crash.  If there are gaps in MegaScenery, FSX will then render the default scenery.  Removing the scenery might have reduced some strain on your system as having a lot of MegaScenery installed can cause an OOM or cause your system to slow down considerably.  That's why I only enable the MegaScenery I'll be flying over during a session (I have about 35 MegaSceneries).

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Great information.  Thank you!  That is what I expected to happen.  I take it that you have never had a similar problem as mine then?  SO what could be the problem?  I have plenty of horsepower and fps all through the flights - with or without Megascenery.  I took two more flights, over the same exact areas (1 in Nebraska; 1 in Indiana) and again I got the fsx crashes.  When I don't use the Mega scenery (don't load it for the flight), I have no problem.

Again, I appreciate your response - truly!

Ken

One more thing Jim - When I downloade the new driver, one "part of it appears to have failed to install.  Here is the message from the Event Tracker - does it make any sense to you?  I tried to install it twice, and got the same results.  However, Device Manager shows an updated driver.  Got any thoughts? 

"Product: AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding -- Error 1904.Module C:\Program Files\Common Files\ATI Technologies\Multimedia\atimpenc64.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147024703. Contact your support personnel."

Corrupt megascenery textures. I've had it happen. Reinstall the state. How do they come on the dvd? Copy them onto your computer first and extract/install one at a time. If one of the installs hangs for more than 10 seconds or so reinstall it.

One more thing Jim - When I downloade the new driver, one "part of it appears to have failed to install. Here is the message from the Event Tracker - does it make any sense to you? I tried to install it twice, and got the same results. However, Device Manager shows an updated driver. Got any thoughts?
"Product: AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding -- Error 1904.Module C:\Program Files\Common Files\ATI Technologies\Multimedia\atimpenc64.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147024703. Contact your support personnel."

This is how one person fixed this problem (see Post #8) - http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/download_amd_catalyst_13_5_beta_2_and_13_4_whql_drivers,4.html.

I took two more flights, over the same exact areas (1 in Nebraska; 1 in Indiana) and again I got the fsx crashes.

I can't help you on this one as I have Nebraska and Indiana and have flown in and around them several times and no crashes.  If you have a lot of addon scenery installed and activated in the Scenery Library, then all of that scenery is going to load during your flight and it is going to take your computer down and totally trash it.  This is why I downloaded and install Scenery Config Editor.  With that I can open up the Scenery Config Editor before I start up FSX.  I can disable every addon scenery (not any of the default) except for the areas I will be flying over in a flightplan.  This way only those sceneries will be loaded that you activate and then Save in the Scenery Config Editor.  Then you can start up FSX and FSX will immediately see the changes to the Scenery Library.  I think you need to fix the first problem before getting into the MSE crashes.  You should download and run AppCrashView as it provides more information that the Microsoft error report - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html.  It should show you every crash you had since you started up Windows but the last few crashes are the most important. Click on one and copy and paste the report here in this topic and we can take a look at it.  I can assure you that it will not be the fault of the MegaScenery people though.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Again THANKS so much for your continued effort and help.  We MAY be getting somewhere.  I downloaded the AppCrash application you sent e.  And it provides some wonderful information.

I looked at about 2 dozen fsx crashes (all very recently), and in EVERY case some of the information is identical.  In EVERY case the fault module (as you can see below) is :  util.dll

What ever that thing is, I think is causing the problem.  As you requested here is the information from the most recent fsx crash: 

Process File:  fsx.exe 

Event Name:  Stopped working 7/6/2013 1:03:29 PM 

User Name:  Ken 

Exception Code:  0xc0000005 

Exception Offset:  0x00022d5a 

Fault Module Name:  util.dll 

Fault Module Version:  10.0.61472.0 

Process Path:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator  X\fsx.exe 

Report File Size:  33,630 

Report Path:  C:\Users\Ken\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_fsx.exe_1828fa5aaebd1e4352f178e7f26f9de528aaa_05dc7b7f\Report.wer 

Jim, in all 20 that I looked at, Exception Code, Exception Offset, Fault Module Name and Fault Module Version are identical.  I don't know what it means, but it being the same makes me hopeful.

And again, I appreciate your help much more than you can possibly know.

Ken

The util.dll ctd has been centered around with a problem with installed scenery.  It's finding the scenery that is the culprit that's the hard part.  I would disable all of the addon scenery (keep all of the default enabled) then run FSX and see if the problem still occurs.  If not, it is one of those installed sceneries.  I'm thinking an airport scenery addon is most likely the cause but it doesn't hurt to disable them all.  Once you determine it must be one of the addons, then reenable addon sceneries 3-4 at a time until the ctd reoccurs. 

I still would like to see a full crash report as it tells me whether or not you have the latest versions of Microsoft Visuals installed. 

The Exception Code 005 occurs almost every time there is an FSX crash. It means you had a memory_access_violation.  It usually means you do not have sufficient resources to run FSX/FSX Addons.  It could be a corrupted addon installation too as a product could be calling for a particular piece of scenery like an object and it is not there or where it is suppose to be so FSX crashes.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Exception code 0xC0000005 occurs when an application attempts to access an address it's not allowed to. The uUnderlying fault may be quite remote - often an uninitialised pointer - and very difficult to track down. For instance this simple C snippet causes one: 

int *pi;

pi = 0;
*pi = 1;