Sign in to follow this  
Airtrooper

nVidia 760, 770 or 780 GTX for FSX?

I'm starting out on a rebuild of my rig. I have most of the components sorted, bar the GPU. I want to buy a new nVidia 700 series GPU but unsure of the optimum one for FSX? 760, 770 or 780?

I fly with either ORBX or payware photoscenery and always use either A) 30" 2,560 x 1,600 monitor; or B) nVidia 3D Vision with a 120 Mhz monitor and 3D classes pilot.png In the future I plan on buying an Oculus Rift instead.

Any opinions?

i7-8086k OC @ 5GHz, 64Gb RAM,
GTX 1080ti 11Gb GPU, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

Just thought I might pitch this in:

I am using an overclocked GTX 780 and it's been running scenery such as UK2000 EGLL at max , FSDT, GSX, and I'm not getting the slightest hint of lag. I don't know about the other cards but the 780 definitely makes a great addition to a gaming rig. 

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

Just thought I might pitch this in:

I am using an overclocked GTX 780 and it's been running scenery such as UK2000 EGLL at max , FSDT, GSX, and I'm not getting the slightest hint of lag. I don't know about the other cards but the 780 definitely makes a great addition to a gaming rig. 

hello just a quick question

what plane do you use when you run these add-ons 

The main ones I use are: PMDG 737NGX, PMDG MD-11, PMDG 747, and of course, Digital Aviation Fokker 100. 

I also use the Reality XP Weather Radar (a bit frame rate intense), which also works flawlessly. 

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

The main ones I use are: PMDG 737NGX, PMDG MD-11, PMDG 747, and of course, Digital Aviation Fokker 100. 

I also use the Reality XP Weather Radar (a bit frame rate intense), which also works flawlessly. 

Yesterday I was flying into UK2000 EGLL from Megaairport EDDF with FTX EU and ENG installed... ran into OOM. I also have the GTX780 Superclocked. I think top cards are now an overkill as it will never be able to process the amount of texture before FSX runs into an OOM.......

Out of memory? I did a manual landing with the PMDG 737NGX this morning. I flew EHAM - EGLL both with addon and REX. FSX kept running till I ended the flight. 

The only airport I ever received an OOM was at Zurich, but after I uninstalled the FSDT scenery it went away. Weird isn't it  :ph34r:

[Edit: Zurich is the only airport from FSDT that gave me the OOM error. The other FSDT airports work fine, such as JFK]

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

If

Yesterday I was flying into UK2000 EGLL from Megaairport EDDF with FTX EU and ENG installed... ran into OOM. I also have the GTX780 Superclocked. I think top cards are now an overkill as it will never be able to process the amount of texture before FSX runs into an OOM.......

OOM is nothing to do with the GPU. Most likely in that short a distance of flight it will have to do with all other addon sceneries not being deactivated in the scenery library. Even any scenery you are not flying over, but have activated in the library will increase VAS, which will in turn lead to the OOM. It's a well known limitation of the way FSX runs.

To the OP:

If price is no object, then buy the best card you can, which would be the 780, or even the Titan (if you are lucky enough to stretch that far :P ). All these cards will run fsx very well, although on the 770 and the 760 you will have to scale back on some settings i.e AA and SSGS. It would help to know what processor you have running, as it is no use having a fast and up to date GPU will not make a difference if your CPU can't match it.

Jaime Boyle

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

If

OOM is nothing to do with the GPU. Most likely in that short a distance of flight it will have to do with all other addon sceneries not being deactivated in the scenery library. Even any scenery you are not flying over, but have activated in the library will increase VAS, which will in turn lead to the OOM. It's a well known limitation of the way FSX runs.

To the OP:

If price is no object, then buy the best card you can, which would be the 780, or even the Titan (if you are lucky enough to stretch that far :P ). All these cards will run fsx very well, although on the 770 and the 760 you will have to scale back on some settings i.e AA and SSGS. It would help to know what processor you have running, as it is no use having a fast and up to date GPU will not make a difference if your CPU can't match it.

I know it has nothing to do with OOM. In fact, that's what I'm trying to say, GTX780 or Titan will not help improve FSX much at all, because FSX doesn't know how to use it properly. I have deactivated sceneries that i dont fly to and from on each flight.

I'm starting out on a rebuild of my rig. I have most of the components sorted, bar the GPU. I want to buy a new nVidia 700 series GPU but unsure of the optimum one for FSX? 760, 770 or 780?

I fly with either ORBX or payware photoscenery and always use either A) 30" 2,560 x 1,600 monitor; or B) nVidia 3D Vision with a 120 Mhz monitor and 3D classes pilot.png In the future I plan on buying an Oculus Rift instead.

Any opinions?

If you are talking FSX only, then 780 is best with about 95 percent of the Titan's performance for 60 percent the cost and if overclocking it you can exceed the performance of a stock Titan.

For FSX Bang for the buck is the 770.

my experience is that I went from a 580gtx to a 780gtx, and the sim is a lot more smoother, also able to run more bad weather as well.

It all depends what you want to spend. you get what you pay for in a way.

Yesterday I was flying into UK2000 EGLL from Megaairport EDDF with FTX EU and ENG installed... ran into OOM.

I flew into KSEA from PANC in FTX PNW in the NGX using 2048 bit HD clouds out to 110m full density and no OOM.  I have a Titan in my box but only a 1920x1200 monitor.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

It would help to know what processor you have running, as it is no use having a fast and up to date GPU will not make a difference if your CPU can't match it.

I'm buildings a new rig with an Asus Z87-PRO mobo, 8GB Vengeance RAM (might buy more to double it to 16Gb) and an i7-4770K CPU. I'm also buying a Corsair Hydro Series H80i Extreme (with back-to-back fans sandwiching the radiator) with the intent of overclocking from the stock 3.5GHz to more than 4 GHz.

I'm buildings a new rig with an Asus Z87-PRO mobo, 8GB Vengeance RAM (might buy more to double it to 16Gb) and an i7-4770K CPU. I'm also buying a Corsair Hydro Series H80i Extreme (with back-to-back fans sandwiching the radiator) with the intent of overclocking from the stock 3.5GHz to more than 4 GHz.

Will be a very nice system when completed! If the money is no object, then GTX780 is your guy!

But as PigsInSpace suggested, even saving a bit of cash and going down to a GTX770 you will not be disappointed.

Jaime Boyle

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

I ended up getting the 780. Very happy! B)