Sign in to follow this  
Airtrooper

nVidia 760, 770 or 780 GTX for FSX?

are you guys having the GTX 780 2GB or 4GB ?  I have heard that the 4GB would send more information to VAS and lead to OOM sometimes... ?

too much, too soon....

Hi All,

I run an ASUS GTX770 DCUII OC version here on my new z87 build and I can report that at "ludicrous" settings this card can handle anything FSX can do.  My other rig runs two-way SLI'd GTX 680 4GB cards and can do the same.  I suspect that while the Titan and 780 can give you that little bit of "extra", normal humans would likely not be able to detect the difference except in the tingle they got in their pants knowing they had those cards in their rigs.  

FSX stopped being able to hurt video cards I suspect around the GTX 580 and 590. 

This is of course my opinion and is worth what you paid for it. :P

Hi All,

I run an ASUS GTX770 DCUII OC version here on my new z87 build and I can report that at "ludicrous" settings this card can handle anything FSX can do.  My other rig runs two-way SLI'd GTX 680 4GB cards and can do the same.  I suspect that while the Titan and 780 can give you that little bit of "extra", normal humans would likely not be able to detect the difference except in the tingle they got in their pants knowing they had those cards in their rigs.  

FSX stopped being able to hurt video cards I suspect around the GTX 580 and 590. 

This is of course my opinion and is worth what you paid for it. :P

I do agree with you when i run fsx in 1920X1080. But in surround with bevel correction at 6026X1080, and in heavy cloud weather, FPS drops to 10-14. Same situation at 1920X1080 FPS is 25-40. So at the moment without upgrade to 780 I will fly in surround in good weather and fly in 1920X1080 when in bad weather. My card is 660ti 2gb. So I just like to find out if 780 can help to improve FPS to above 25 in surround mode 6026X1080.

Hmm. I run my "big" FSX rig with SLI'd GTX680 FTW+ 4GB cards and at 1080 without much degradation in performance. I would love to see what a GTX780 with 4GB can do in SLI.

Good luck on the upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Hmm. I run my "big" FSX rig with SLI'd GTX680 FTW+ 4GB cards and at 1080 without much degradation in performance. I would love to see what a GTX780 with 4GB can do in SLI.

Good luck on the upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Yes sure, my 660Ti performance in1920X1080 is great too. But FPS drop drastically when in surround. So my upgrade to 780 is just to have good FPS at at least 25 and above. :)

oh well, after some research and digging hard. I am still not sure if my heavy cloud low fps issue is due to gpu or cpu..... :(

See my PC specs, I have no  problems with FPS in FSX, only with PMDG 777 when the mouse cursor is visible on the screen I have 27-28 FPS. I use only 1024x1024 texture and no traffic!

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

X-Plane 11 Group:     Facebook

Go for the Geforce 780 smooth as silk.

Paul

my 660TI is smooth as silk when in 1920X1080. just not so sure if 780 will make my surround in heavy cloud smooth as silk. My heavy cloud is rex and at 4096 texture. Please test with this if you hv the 780 and let me know your fps in surround mode, if you could. Thks.

4096 texture is your problem, you will never have good fps with that texture!!

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

4096 texture is your problem, you will never have good fps with that texture!!

I just want to hv fps of 25 with the 4096 cloud in surround. is that too ambitious?...haha

I only have 1 monitor 1080p, but I think it is ambitious to have 25FPS with PMDG at a payware airport! I might be wrong, but I still think it will be hard to obtain that performance!!! 

Regards, Albert Miu

I only have 1 monitor 1080p, but I think it is ambitious to have 25FPS with PMDG at a payware airport! I might be wrong, but I still think it will be hard to obtain that performance!!! 

oh no, I dont fly pdmg and huge payware airport. I m into GA and Canada NWT small airport like Yellowknife.

And it is very obvious that the cloud is the culprit of low fps. The moment I pan the view out of the cloud layers the FPS goies to35-45 in surround 3 monitor.

If you don't want to switch from 4096 texture, I suggest you convert them to .DXT3 from .BMP and see if that helps!

Regards, Albert Miu