Sign in to follow this  
Airtrooper

nVidia 760, 770 or 780 GTX for FSX?

Andrew,

It's my pleasure to share my experiences.  

On the "big" rig I run a 3930K under an H100i and on the one with the GTX770 I run a 4770K under an H80i.  I OC'd Core 1 to 4.7GHZ because in AISuite 3 I can do that and it is MORE stable than my 3930K running 4.6GHZ under an H100i (a big surprise considering the delta in price).  I do not worry about temps or volts as I let AISuite 3 do all of the OC set up and merely cranked up Core 1 as I am led to believe that its the core that runs all of FSX and its goodies.  

Both rigs scream and are overkill but the 4770K is a mini-ITX build and fits in a cubby on my desk.  I think we take a "Tim The Tool Man" (90's Tim Allen TV reference) approach to FSX sometimes.  The small rig does almost all that the big one does, cost half as much, takes up 25% of the space, and is 300 times less stressful as it doesn't even have plexi-glass on the side!

Good luck with your build.

Nop I haven done the cloud to DXT3 or 5 yet.

Hmmm...how to sort out which are the cloud files from the texture folder?

You change the cloud format in the REX options.

Just check the boxes.

No offence but since you were not seeing the difference between 4096 and 1024 clouds why not try 512 clouds. Real clouds are fuzzy. 512 looks fine to me.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

You change the cloud format in the REX options.

Just check the boxes.

No offence but since you were not seeing the difference between 4096 and 1024 clouds why not try 512 clouds. Real clouds are fuzzy. 512 looks fine to me.

gb.

I think i will use 1024 cloud. 512 is too low for me. With my 660Ti at 1080 all is fine provided I dont fly in area like PANC alaska or Seattle Ksea. So I am hoping getting a 780 will help drastically in fps in those area with heavy cloud during bad weather. My cloud texture are with extension bmp but they r in fact DXT3 as per the rex interface and double checked with photoshop, if the bmp is dxt3 you will see wierd image in photoshop.

You just sold me on the 770. I've been debating between the 770 and 780 for awhile and based on what I've read and my personal expectations and what I want from the sim, the 770 should be more than enough GPU power for me. Plus I will certainly feel a nice "tingle in my pants" from the extra $250 in my wallet!

I know that the safest recommendation for the best possible experience today is the 780. But, for me, I am running a single monitor at 1920x1200. I will start with an i7-4770k at stock speed, and will consider a modest overclock, perhaps to 4.1 or 4.2, but beyond that I am not going to try chasing frames for the sake of it. My hunch is that a 770 will be more than adequate for this scenario. In any case, it will blow away my current setup (i3-2100 with 550ti).

If you could fly in area KSEA,3 monitor surround(6026X1080), with heavy cloud, FTX NA, with 50% AI traffic, autogen Normal, and if you can get 25 FPS during landing at KSEA, then 770 could be a cheaper choice.

I do only manual landing so I have to be very sure whenever I crash landing, is it a pilot's error or FPS problem. :P

I just upgraded from a GTX 660 to a 760 on my i5 3570k at 4.4 Ghz (single monitor at 1920x1080). I ran a benchmark flight using FRAPS at KSEA with REX 1024x1024 clouds and rain, DX10, and Orbx scenery. The result was 0 change in min, max, or average FPS (by comparison, published benchmarks for modern games is a 25-35 percent FPS improvement with a 760 compared to a 660). That's ok, as I bought the upgrade in anticipation of P3D v2, which promises to make better use of the GPU. I just thought I would share. As Doug Horton has well documented in his extensive benchmarking, FSX is CPU limited. A GPU upgrade will produce an insignificant improvement in FPS once you reach some baseline level of GPU such as a 500 series. Save your money for something else unless you use the GPU for other programs. Sorry, but Nick N is just wrong when he insists that a high powered CPU must be paired with a 680 or 760-780 GPU. A 660 is more than adequate for FSX.

Edit: of course, multi monitor and higher resolutions may benefit more from a GPU upgrade than my setup.

I just upgraded from a GTX 660 to a 760 on my i5 3570k at 4.4 Ghz (single monitor at 1920x1080). I ran a benchmark flight using FRAPS at KSEA with REX 1024x1024 clouds and rain, DX10, and Orbx scenery. The result was 0 change in min, max, or average FPS (by comparison, published benchmarks for modern games is a 25-35 percent FPS improvement with a 760 compared to a 660). That's ok, as I bought the upgrade in anticipation of P3D v2, which promises to make better use of the GPU. I just thought I would share. As Doug Horton has well documented in his extensive benchmarking, FSX is CPU limited. A GPU upgrade will produce an insignificant improvement in FPS once you reach some baseline level of GPU such as a 500 series. Save your money for something else unless you use the GPU for other programs. Sorry, but Nick N is just wrong when he insists that a high powered CPU must be paired with a 680 or 760-780 GPU. A 660 is more than adequate for FSX. Edit: of course, multi monitor and higher resolutions may benefit more from a GPU upgrade than my setup.

Yes I agree with you on that in 1920X1080. My 660Ti run smoothly most of the time in that resolution as long as I dont go the area like KSEA or PANC.