Sign in to follow this  

Please try this when you have low fps with clouds and high AA settings

I agree. With the default wave animations in DX10, they look great, perform great and cleared up the land shimmering reflection.

I am a happy DX10 flyer !!!

Best part about white caps is you use them for Float Operations! Tells you wind direction. Land into the waves!

Great Thread. Thanks all for the input. This will help heaps of people. Butter smooth in all weather is attainable when the settings are reasonable.

Charles.

Sorry but I could not get FRAPS to work, which from some quick research, learned that it apparently does not work in dx10 mode, which is odd in your case.

Are you absolutely sure that you have the following in your fsx.cfg

[GRAPHICS]

D3D10=1

Anyways, to kill several birds in one stone with KPMP/Birddog/Horrible Weather using

a default fsx.cfg except for the following parameters:

AffinityMask=14

BufferPools=0

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.12

MultiSamplesPerPixel=4

MultiSampleQuality=0

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120

[GRAPHICS]

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

AC_SELF_SHADOW=1

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

MESH_COMPLEXITY=100

MESH_RESOLUTION=23

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3

DETAIL_TEXTURE=1

WATER_EFFECTS=6

U7Rio.jpg

3CwRM.jpg

yhUd7.jpg

HLgC.jpg

S0baN.jpg

au2N.jpg

Nominated most helpful post for September 2013. LOL

Well laid out and to the point.

Charles.

One important fsx.cfg setting which has a great effect on performance in dense cloud cover which SolReyz missed in his excellect post:

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=3  // 60 miles

Having this set any higher will progressively and significantly lower FPS in dense cloud cover.  I use 3 when flying low and slow "in the thick of it", and 7 (100 miles) when the weather is decent and can see for miles.  I hate the cloud fish bowl effect of using 3 otherwise.

BTW, that SibWings Cessna O-1/L-19 Bird Dog was just the aircraft I was in seach of; I love its rustic character and floaty feel.  The A2A Cub is just is too slow in some cases for bush flying.  It's on my hard drive with DX10 VC shadows enabled.  Thanks for demo'ing it!

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

One important fsx.cfg setting which has a great effect on performance in dense cloud cover which SolReyz missed in his excellect post:

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=3 // 60 miles

Having this set any higher will progressively and significantly lower FPS in dense cloud cover. I use 3 when flying low and slow "in the thick of it", and 7 (100 miles) when the weather is decent and can see for miles. I hate the cloud fish bowl effect of using 3 otherwise.

BTW, that SibWings Cessna O-1/L-19 Bird Dog was just the aircraft I was in seach of; I love its rustic character and floaty feel. The A2A Cub is just is too slow in some cases for bush flying. It's on my hard drive with DX10 VC shadows enabled. Thanks for demo'ing it!

A2A 172.... Cub quality.... 110 knots.

^and download bliksimpie used and abused interior repaint for 172. Pretty awesome.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Guest jlindbe

Hi -

I'm experiencing the same phenomenon with FPS dropping in heavy clouds.  I have tried the steps laid out above with no success.  After about 5-10 in heavy clouds my GPU maxes out at 99% and frames drop to below 10.  I thought maybe I screwed up my default files so I even tried re-installing FSX the other day.  The only difference I can think of is that I'm running this off of a laptop (640M overclocked), but when in DX9 this doesn't happen and my frames stay between 20-30 FPS in any scenario.  Is there anyone that has successfully gotten DX10 to work in high clouds off of a laptop?  What settings do you use?  

Thanks.

John

I don't know if this would work as I only use 8xCSAA and I don't have any fps issue.  But the cloud shader box is there to disable AA for the clouds if you're NOT using any form of SS.

So if you're using SS, you may want to un-check the box.  Just a wild guess.

I don't know if this would work as I only use 8xCSAA and I don't have any fps issue.  But the cloud shader box is there to disable AA for the clouds if you're NOT using any form of SS.

So if you're using SS, you may want to un-check the box.  Just a wild guess.

VC gauges suffer without SS. At least in DX9 they did. Is this not the case with DX10. Oddly enough I have yet to try!

C.

VC gauges suffer without SS. At least in DX9 they did. Is this not the case with DX10. Oddly enough I have yet to try!

C.

I only used SS for a bit but didn't like the performance impact.  I've been on 8xCSAA or 8xMSAA for the past few months.  You're right, the VC gauges will suffer without SS and there will be more shimmers, but it works out fine for me because I sit 9 feet away from the display.  It looks better with SS, but SS hits my system pretty hard.

But if you're running SS, the cloud shader option in the fixer becomes useless.  That's why I said it may be worth a try to just disable it if you're using SS.

Nominated most helpful post for September 2013. LOL

Well laid out and to the point.

Charles.

I agree!  Thanks for your help SolRayz.  I finally have 30fps locked even in bad weather, but it took your settings AND a switch to a GTX 680 GPU to get there.  The 660Ti is a lot slower when it comes to AA and to dealing with high resolution screens (mine is 2560 x 1440).  It runs as smoothly as P3D but looks a bit better because I have SweetFX running on the FSX installation.  Thanks again for your help...

Scott

Did I catch that right?  BP=0 doesn't require 2.x high or above water in DX10?  I played around with BP=0 a bit when trying to get the NGX working properly in highly complex Orbx areas (PNW, massive blurries) but I didn't get the gpu usage spike I used to get with it in DX9 and thought I'd read that BP=0 actually doesn't work under DX10 but maybe that's wrong?  I just know in DX9 I'd spike to like 99% usage on my 560Ti where DX10 I was still in the 40's.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

BP=0 works better in DX10 for me...so it must be doing something.

I agree!  Thanks for your help SolRayz.  I finally have 30fps locked even in bad weather, but it took your settings AND a switch to a GTX 680 GPU to get there.  The 660Ti is a lot slower when it comes to AA and to dealing with high resolution screens (mine is 2560 x 1440).  It runs as smoothly as P3D but looks a bit better because I have SweetFX running on the FSX installation.  Thanks again for your help...

Scott

Awesome! You finally got it all sorted out! Really good to hear!

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Hi guys i need help , i'm little bit confused about fixer and Ni setting.

I have  a gtx770 2gb on a 32 inches samsung 1920x1080 (windowed mode) cpu i7 2600k oc 4.7

Are these the  correct combinations? 

dx fixer = 8x csaa 

ni= 4x sparse grid supersampling

dx fixer= 8x           

ni=8x sparse grid supersampling or just 8x

I mean what value in the fsx.cfg must match with the transparency multisetting ni?  MultiSamplesPerPixel? or MultiSampleQuality?

I've tried many combos but AA is still not good as dx9.

Sorry for my poor english.

Greetings from italy

Sal

MSPP is the number to enter for SGSS, Sal. Your figures are correct. 

4x in the Controller window will put:-

MultiSamplesPerPixel=4      in the fsx.cfg   (this is supersampling)

MultiSampleQuality=0           (which (I think) is the default  of 4x MSAA)

and you enter:- "Antialiasing - Transparency SuperSampling - 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling"          in NI.

8x CSAA  in the Controller window = 

MultiSamplesPerPixel=4      in the fsx.cfg

MultiSampleQuality=8  (which is 8x MSAA)

and will be an entry of:- "Antialiasing - Transparency SuperSampling - 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling"          in NI.

8x in the Controller window = 

MultiSamplesPerPixel=8      in the fsx.cfg

MultiSampleQuality=8  (which is 8x MSAA)

and that will be an entry of:- "Antialiasing - Transparency SuperSampling - 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling"          in NI.

I hope this helps, Sal:

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.