Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

P3D "Out of Memory"

Have any of you implemented the 3GB switch within P3D v2? 

I believe that's only for 32bit OS.  I regularly hover around 2.5GB to 3.6GB (by flight end).

However, I was able to fix the problem by making one change: move the autogen settings to "dense" instead of "very dense".

Pretty sure I've tried that and all it did was delay the OOMs ... usually just as I approach on final (2 hour flight) ... doooh!  But I'll give it another go and see if it works.  But on a side note, I wouldn't understand why one move notch change in a slider would prevent a sudden 1GB VAS usage ... gotta feel their is still something not right there.

what do you think happens when your card is running at 99%? you get stutters. therefore you need to lower the load. I thought it was common sense.

Didn't know that. But my card runs at 98% to 100% all the time and performance is smooth as can be...? I have no problems with stutters at all in P3D v2.

what do you think happens when your card is running at 99%?

My GPU usually operates around 20-30% range, but I lock fps at 20 and to be honest, it's very fluid at 20 fps.  I have no issues on the fps performance front, it's the VAS front that's causing issues and LM's response is discouraging ... probably because it's accurate and there isn't much they can do and the 32bit address space just exaggerates the problem.  Moving to 64bit would probably still have the same OOM issue, but rather than happening in 3 minutes, it would take 30+ hours pending how much physical RAM folks have installed.

Like others have posted, as of right now, adding another GPU and supporting more than one GPU isn't going to help much.  SLi/Crossfire is most likely just going to cause more issues because it will encourage people (with the improved frame rate performance) to start turning up the sliders only to be greeted with OOM ... in other words, another tease! ;)

My GPU usually operates around 20-30% range, but I lock fps at 20 and to be honest, it's very fluid at 20 fps.  I have no issues on the fps performance front, it's the VAS front that's causing issues and LM's response is discouraging ... probably because it's accurate and there isn't much they can do and the 32bit address space just exaggerates the problem.  Moving to 64bit would probably still have the same OOM issue, but rather than happening in 3 minutes, it would take 30+ hours pending how much physical RAM folks have installed.

Like others have posted, as of right now, adding another GPU and supporting more than one GPU isn't going to help much.  SLi/Crossfire is most likely just going to cause more issues because it will encourage people (with the improved frame rate performance) to start turning up the sliders only to be greeted with OOM ... in other words, another tease! ;)

thanks Rob, I am also running now at 20fps locked and back to being smooth. found it interesting how lowering resolution etc did very little to lighten the load. The tweaking and adjusting are definitely different here.

Wes Bard posted this in reply to Rob's question:

As Beau mentioned above, we have actually done a lot with legacy memory management, but the new features consume memory. You can tone down your texture resolution if it's higher than 1024 and avoid a lot of OOMs that way, or find a tradeoff with reflections, shadows, and texture resolution size that keeps you within memory limits.

We are going to include a memory management UI interface at some point once we iron out the rest of the initial v2 bugs to make it easier for users to see where and how their available resources are getting used.

So... we have to find tradeoffs indeed. Getting the latest greatest PC so I can run 'all sliders right' is useless because you will run into VAS problems anyway. We really need 64 bit!

That memory manager is a nice idea though: that would make setting the right options to get what you yourself want out of the sim a lot easier! Setting things up now involves a lot of guessing and trial and error.

That memory manager is a nice idea though: that would make setting the right options to get what you yourself want out of the sim a lot easier!

For those that don't have FSUIPC or other tools it would be easier ... but it still will not solve long duration flight issues (per Word Not Allowed's post about it) that loads and never unloads airports (even worse if the airport is heavy hitter 3rd party).  But I gotta wonder what the thought process is here?  The point of 3rd party is to enhance the flight simulation environment, one such enhancement is high quality and high detail airports and aircraft -- if one has to turn the details down so as to be able to use a 3rd party product, doesn't that defeat the purpose of getting the 3rd party product?  Essentially we're in the same situation as FSX. 

It would be nice to see a commitment to 64bit from LM, but I just haven't heard or seen that -- so far they have specifically denied any "official" plans for 64bit.  I can only hope LM re-think 64bit.

But it is what it is, I'll try and make the best of it, but it's definitely going to curtail any 3rd party product purchases I had planned.

Rob

That a very limited usage - one aircraft add-on, on scenery-add-on and keep usage low.

I've had numerous OOMs in P3Dv2 flying the native Maule with the only add-on being FTX Global. Frustrating and seemingly random.  I've gone back to v1 until they patch v2...

Scott

but it still will not solve long duration flight issues (per Word Not Allowed's post about it) that loads and never unloads airports

I believe I read in either this forum or the LM forum that this is an issue inherited from FSX.  Does this behavior exist within FSX?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I really hope that all of this gets sorted out soon. I had figured that I'd use aggressive settings with the Cub in ORBX scenery, mid settings for short milk runs out of 1 FSDT to a default airport or vice-versa with the iFly or the Majestic Dash, and low settings for long flights with the PMDG T7 (when it's out) between default airports (maybe Atlanta-Johannesburg). That long flight is 17 hours. Most of the time would be in the cockpit so looking outside for that type flight would be secondary. Am I expecting too much?

James McLees

tried moving augen to medium -- still a crash flying from YPMQ -> YSSY.

Note - I did move tessellation back to high (one from left).

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Note - I did move tessellation back to high (one from left).

OK, I will give this one a shot tonight. Are you using any additional scenery? Which aircraft did you use? I will see if I get the same problem and let you know.

Yes, so…?

You spent $200 on simulator that's only capable of running one aircraft add-on, one scenery-add-on and keep usage low?

Am I expecting too much?

Everyone's expectations will be different (obviously I had expected a little more, but that doesn't seem to be the case in my setup) ... I'm sure you can accomplish your goals, you just may need to go down a few notches lower on the visuals.

I think it's going to be a case of turn everything OFF and then do the flight and slowly increase each setting until you can't complete the flight (aka an OOM).  It's a time consuming process and will vary from flight to flight and you also need to be sure to Exit P3DV2 after each test.  

Reason I say start at the lowest settings is because starting at the other end requires more "cleanup" steps post OOM.  If you OOM, then you'll need to do any manual clean via Task Mgr or Process Explorer ... typically after each OOM, I have to manually terminate GFDevP3D.EXE (GoFlight support), delete my shaders folder, and start P3DV2 again.

Other options are to not install add-ons, that will give you some headroom also.  The only Add-on where I've noticed a reduction in VAS usage is FTX Global (with Orbx Trees selected), FTX Vector, FS Global 2010 FTX Edition, and all other airport and aircraft, REX 4, etc. add-ons have increased VAS (some less than others but always an increase).

I'm still puzzled at my VRAM usage ... sometimes my VRAM is at 3.8GB or more while VAS is low 2.5GB while at other times VRAM is 2.0GB and VAS is high at 3.8GB.  My understanding of DX11 is that all textures should be in VRAM as that's much faster access ... so who knows, maybe my tools just aren't good enough and if LM provide a memory management monitor that will give a more accurate picture.

OK, I will give this one a shot tonight. Are you using any additional scenery? Which aircraft did you use? I will see if I get the same problem and let you know.

Addons: ftx global, vector, jeehell airbus cockpit suite (and the airbus that comes with it, no virtual cockpit), aviasoft EFB.

Just looked at my scenery.cfg and I'm actually running at 2.5 lod!

As you can see I'm running quite a number of external programs. I only have. 8 gb of ram. Would more external ram help in this case?

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

You spent $200 on simulator that's only capable of running one aircraft add-on, one scenery-add-on and keep usage low?

LOL, I think/hope most spent the money to invest in future development of flight simulator - well actually I don't know if that's true or not, but it's what I did, just as I spent the money on XP10 as an investment in the future.  

But I do see your point, lets hope the 64bit message isn't falling on deaf ears at LM ... I gotta figure LM are a responsible development team and seem committed ... hopefully the project manager(s) and those funding this development work will see the importance to not waste resources (dare I say ... yet again) on a road that is very limiting.

The world just can't fit in 32bits ;)

Addons: ftx global, vector, jeehell airbus cockpit suite (and the airbus that comes with it, no virtual cockpit), aviasoft EFB.

Just looked at my scenery.cfg and I'm actually running at 2.5 lod!

As you can see I'm running quite a number of external programs. I only have. 8 gb of ram. Would more external ram help in this case?

P3DV2 can only use 4GB (on a 64bit OS) and if those other products including OS do use up the rest of your 4GB then Windows will start using your HD/SSD as RAM -- this will be incredibly slow, but it will not generate an OOM.

FYI, FTX Vector is a big VAS consumer, you can also disable it via scenery library.