Sign in to follow this  
mac44

Help! - FTX Global Wont Install to Prepar3D

I just purchased FTX Global and tried to install it to my Prepar3dv2 install (got it from flight sim store as a download)

firstly unzipped the zip file in to a folder (got x1 file with FSS in the title (the wrapper I think) and looks and x9 other files with titles like FTXglobal10.2 10.3 up to 10.10 or so ) - note I unzipped the zipped download file into a separate folder on my D drive and my prepar3d install is my E drive.

Then I ran the FSS application/wrapper file - this firstly checks my licence is ok - then it asked me if I want to back up my prepar3d textures which I did - then it finds my prepar3d install and starts to install FTXG however shortly after it comes up with a error message "Please insert disk #1 (I try and browse this to the folder where I unzipped FTXG - (however the message is weird as the software was downloaded and not installed from a disk) - when I click ok it gives me another error message saying there is a decompression error in me Prepar3d folder and asks me to abort retry or ignore after retrying I just abort - have done this a few times now and got the same result.

What should I do to fix this?

Is there enough room on your C drive? The installer unpacks all files in a temporary folder on the C drive and when that drive is (too) full, it may not be able to unpack everything.

J van E thanks for the reply

Actually my C drive is an SSD and has limited space available about 8GB - (so even though I have unzipped to my D drive and am installing to my E I still need space on my C drive? if you think it helps I can try and free up some space on my C drive? - might this explain the prompt to insert disk 1?

(also just curious if I have unzipped the download folder correctly basically I copied it into a fresh folder then right clicked and selected unzip here - so now I have my original zipped file with all the unzipped files about 9 others + this FSS wrapper type setup file - is this how it should work?)

FWIW, here is how my install went.

I downloaded to my E: Drive which is a 1 TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA 6.

I unzipped to same E: drive with Winzip and it made a folder with the wrapper exe, a readme txt, and OrbxFTXGlobal110.2 thru 110.10. 

I then clicked on the exe and install went w/o a problem.  I installed to my P3Dv2 on my C: drive, a 512GB SSD with 126GB free space.   The backup of textures also went to me E: drive  and that directory is 4.62 GB and 8194 files.  The size of my unzipped install files/folder on the E: drive is 4.61 GB for 11 files.

P.S. I saw where you had limited space on your C: SSD...   Do you still have your windows paging/swap file there?    I zeroed it out on my C: SSD and moved it to my E:.  That saved me 8GB on C:.   There are also folks running Windows w/o the page/swap file as it is usually not needed now days with so much RAM in our hardware.    :lol:

Another way to save is if your browser in installed on your C drive.  Cut down its cache area as sometimes this can use a lot of space.

Also you can limit the size of SystemRestore (if it is enabled) which is also usually on the C drive. 

Hope you get it worked out.

Cheers,  Ray

Most programs that you install are putting temporary files on your C drive, even when you unzip them on another drive and install them on another drive. 8 GB free on your OS disk is not good. Not for installing FTX Global but also for anything else.

How big is that drive? Did you use the clean up option Windows offer? Do you ever empty your Temp folder? Do you have System restore enabled? You might also choose to reinstall some programs unto another drive instead of the default Progam files folders. There are lot's of ways to make space on your C drive. 8 GB is just too little space left for Windows and installing things so right now I should first check that out and try to get at least 20% free space.