Sign in to follow this  
Charles575943

FreeTrack and OpusFSX [Working]

I have recently been experimenting with FreeTrack head tracking, I own a TrackIR.

When starting FreeTrack with Opus I get the following error, "FSXTRACKIR.EXE Has stopped working"

FaceTrack NoIR works well with OPUS for me, does anyone have a solution to this problem with FreeTrack?

Charles

Our FSXTRACKIR program simply connects to the supplied Natural Point (TrackIR) SDK and reads the raw TrackIR data through their interface.

Does FreeTrack interface using this same SDK, in which case you surely won't be able to run it alongside TrackIR. Never had any experience or know very much about FreeTrack.

Certainly looks like there's an incompatibility there somewhere. The NP SDK certainly does like it.

Stephen :-)

I found that FaceTrack noIR works with OPUS.

I cannot change camera views when using FaceTrack, if I run my NP TrackIR everything is OK and I can change views. I do like the FaceTrack software, my web camera appears to give a wider field of view as opposed to my TrackIR v3.

Charles

It's working!

After a reformat of everything my FreeTrack IR head tracker is now working and it's better than my TrackIR 3!

It's important not to use simconnect in the FreeTrack options. I now have a much smoother experience with greater

access to the virtual cockpit with this head tracking than I did with my TrackIR. My web cam has a much wider

field of view.

I am pleased this free software works with Opus FSX.

I am using a Logitech 250 web cam with the IR filter removed, when using this camera use the drivers for the Logitech Fusion

web cam. The Logitech 250 drivers cause problems with the FreeTrack application causing it to shut down when you close

the camera properties which had an annoying habit of popping up when starting the FreeTRack program.

Charles.

Hi Charles, Stephen,

I'm glad to see that you managed to get FreeTrack working with OpusFSX. As you may know, I am the developer of FaceTrackNoIR (let's call it the "modern version" of FreeTrack).

One user of OpusFSX asked me, if it is possible to use FaceTrackNoIR with OpusFSX. Since OpusFSX 'just' uses the old TrackIR protocol, I told him that he could.

However, he mailed me that it does not work for him, so I decided to try. I downloaded the demo version of OpusFSX and ran it (after starting FaceTrackNoIR and FSX).

The results are in this image:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/facetracknoir/files/redist/temp/OpusFSX%20en%20TrackIR.png/download

As you can see, FaceTrackNoIR sees that OpusFSX made contact;

The DOS-box of OpusFSX shows that it has found the DLL and that it made contact with FSX;

One problem: the view in FSX does not follow head-movement.

Am I forgetting something? Can it work with the demo-version?

@Charles: Could you try FaceTrackNoIR with OpusFSX?

Wim

Hi Wim

As you said, Opus interfaces to the Natural Point software development kit and assumes it is talking to TrackIR. The connection is made via the TrackIR program. Once connected the TrackIR device no longer interfaces to FSX/P3D.

The setup is described here,

http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi/opusfsx_getting_started2.htm#_Toc345576870

Prior to using the TrackIR5 device via OpusFSX you must ensure TrackIR5 does not directly connect to the FSX/P3D simulator. To accomplish this you MUST rename the two SimConnect manifest files within the TrackIR5 installation folder. The folder is usually located in either,

c:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\TrackIR5 (Win 7 32-bit) or,

c:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR5 (Win 7 64-bit).

BEFORE using the Opus TrackIR interface the files you MUST rename are simconnect.manifest and simconnectSP2.manifest.

Can you perhaps use the same procedure to ensure FaceTrackNoIR does not directly connect to the FSX/P3D simulator?

It should work with the demo version.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Thnx for your answer. Did not respond so fast, due to a well deserved (I think so) holiday...

I did follow the mentioned procedure when I first tried it, so there must be something else wrong. Though I'm sure it is not necessary, I also renamed the TIR manifest-files.

FaceTrackNoIR uses a more elegant method to access SimConnect and if you do not select SimConnect as "Game-protocol", the connection to SimConnect is "free" for Opus.

Your remark that it should work with the demo is important, cause it rules out that option. The quest continues...

BTW: It would be useful if someone with FSX and OpusFSX would try this too!

I have tried this today with FSX and a registered version of OpusFSX and FacetrackNOIP. Works fine until livecamera is enabled and then I get a strange stuttering/ghosting effect in the virtual cockpit with or without the enable trackIR setting in OpusFSX or the trackIR.exe file running from the FacetrackNOIR. Just my experience... Shame because livecamera is as valuable a feature as the headtracker to me...

You will always get jitteriness when TrackIR or any other compatible or similar product connects directly with the sim via SimConnect. There can be no other result as you will end up with two separate program's trying to adjust the same and only eye point within the sim. The result ... Conflict and a jittery display.

Both OpusFSX and OpusFSI provides the means, using the NP SDK, to provide an interface or connection for the TrackIR or compatible device. Under such circumstances all eye point movements, whether originating in Opus or the connecting device, are fully coordinated and the simulators eye point is adjusted without conflict.

Its as simple as that really. Connect like TrackIR via the interface then no conflict and everything is smooth. Don't connect and connect direct to the sim and conflict results along with the inevitable jittery display.

Hi sailles, Stephen,

@sailles: I assume you are using FaceTrackNoIR v170? Did you use the FreeTrack 2.0 protocol, to connect to Opus via the TrackIR interface? Then the jittering must have a different reason than Stephen suggests.

@Stephen: FaceTrackNoIR just mimics the exact TrackIR interface, so using FaceTrackNoIR and Opus works exactly the same as using TrackIR with Opus. So there should be no reason for conflicts (unless sailles used the FSX interface of FaceTrackNoIR, of course).

I believe that's exactly what I said ...

Connect direct to FSX via SimConnect then there will be conflict and display jitters are to be expected.

Connect to Opus via the usual TrackIR interface (our FSXTRACKIR program) then all movement is coordinated, no conflict occurs and no jitters.

I am getting an error message in the FSITRACKER.EXE DOS window. When trying to connect FTNOIR v200 to it.

"Error Initialising Naturalpoint Interface"

"Natural Point DLL location"

What am I missing as you seem to have this running in the posts above.?

I am running FTNOIR using the Freetrack Protocol.

The FSITRACKIR.exe program uses the Natural Point DLL (part of their developer SDK) to interface to TrackIR. It is a NP TrackIR compatible interface that uses the NP DLL.

I think what you are saying is that I need to install the TrackIR Software to use as an interface?

I did do that and the error message stopped but then I did not get any head movement within FSX. I can only get head movement if I connect FSNoir directly to FSX using sim connect protocol.