Sign in to follow this  
Cfoley

PMDG 737NGX MCP panel not functioning

I purchased the PMDG 737NGX a year ago and just now trying to become familiar with it's functions.  When I start up the plane,  the Auto Pilot Mode Control panel is blank.  The course, IAS/MACH, altitude, etc, is blank.  With the PMDG 747 and 777, I can select the settings when the APU is activated and put in my desired settings, but not with the 737.  I have gone through the manuals and tutorials, but I am at a lose.  I also checked forums but cannot find anything for what I am experiencing.  Is there a fix for this or can I be directed in the manuals to get it working, or a shortcut for amateur users like myself?

Cray Foley

Are you loading the NGX at a gate cold and dark or at the end of runway with the default panel state?

Are the NGX CDUs black?

The CDU is not black.

Since I am learning the 737,  I have been starting at the end of the runway with,  I guess is the default panel state, where everything is on and ready to go.  I shut down the engines and do the procedures for starting up the engines.  Everything is on except the MCP after I finish.

Cray Foley

If the MCP is okay after loading at the runway end and you shut the engines down and the MCP is black after you have started the engines, there would appear to be a user error with the shutdown and start procedure, After loading the flight with the engines running, I would load a cold and dark, short turn, or long turn panel state and perform the steps necessary to prepare the plane for flight. The start up from these 3 panel states has been covered in the PMDG Tutorial #2, or on this forum, or on YouTube. Look at the Tutorial, search the Forum or YouTube for a start from whatever panel state you choose.

I have searched the forum before I did this posting, but could not find anything pertaining to my MCP problem.  I tried the cold and dark, but it only created more problems and did not bring up the MCP, my original problem to begin with.   As far as the Youtube video's,  I checked many and most are not very useful for what I am trying to solve.  Many are not clear in their explanations, and in some instances, not audible, or they skip around, etc.  For example, on one cold and dark start up Youtube video,  they claim they starting cold and dark but yet their instruments are light up, including the MCP.  It is apparent they did not show how they start at cold and dark.   The manuals and tutorials were not helpful either.  I am still back were I started from.  No MCP functioning. 

The main reason I need to shut down the engines is that FSPassengers and GSX will not work unless the engines are at shutdown mode.

Cray Foley

The cold start created more problems.  I was not able to get things going at the cold state, and I could not even use the CDU to deactivate the cold start option and put it back into the original state.   I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the PMDG 737.   The manuals are worthless for any type of trouble shooting.

Cray Foley

Okay,  I finally found the problem.  I needed to turn on the APU Gen switches right under the BUS Trans.  That activated the MCP.

There is one question.  When I was at the gate on a trail run for a flight,  I used GSX ground and FS Passengers.  Once everything was done,  I was set to go, but the APU start switch would not activate and I had to cancel the flight.   Is there a time limit once the engines are shut down that the APU switch will not activate? 

Cray Foley

I am glad to see that you got the MCP problem solved.

As to your question about the APU, I have no answer concerning any time limit. Why can't you leave it running with engine off? And then turn it off once your have started the engines and the packs and APU bleed switch are in the correct position.

I was just thinking that myself a little while ago.  I will try it next time.  Thanks for all the help.

Cray Foley

I read this about five years ago is a CS Forum. To shut the engines off use Ctrl + E. To start them, use Ctrl + E. Don't know what it would do in the NGX and I am not about to try it. But if you get desperate, its an idea.

I was just thinking that myself a little while ago.  I will try it next time.  Thanks for all the help.

Have you tried doing the tutorials that come with the PMDG NGX? Because if you had you would have known that the APU or engine generators need to be on. I would HIGHLY recommend that you do tutorial 1 and then tutorial 2. You are simply not operating the aircraft correctly which is what is leading to your problems. Also don't forget to read, at least, the introduction manual that came with the NGX as well.

Dave

Dave Paige

At the time I did not have a print out of part of it.  So going back and forth on my computer between the tutorial and  FSX made it a bit difficult and I missed some parts.  I have read the tutorial.  Unfortunately, the tutorial about using the FMC is too complicated.

Cray Foley

I printed the PMDG 737 NGX 1st tutorial manual over the weekend and it is much more helpful then having to open up the manual screen and go back and  forth between the cockpit and manual.  I was missing steps that way, better having a printed copy on hand.   I only have the first one printed, too costly on printer ink.  I am having difficulty understanding the FMC usage for the plane (navigation, etc), not the basic set up modes for the user, which is easy to understand.  I did have my first successful amateur flight this evening from PANC to KSEA and really enjoy the 737.   I love  using FSpassengers with flight simulation,  but was having difficulties because it prevented the AP from working, even though I had the AP "Realistic" mode set on off.  From various forums,  FSpassengers has issues with PMDG 737 NGX.  After countless trouble shooting tests,  the only way I could get the AP to work with FS passengers was to load it right at the runway threshold, which means putting the parking brake on and opening up the passenger door.  But despite that,  I got it going.  I also cannot use GSX ground with FSpassengers because that too, will prevent the AP from working.

Cray Foley

Unfortunately, the tutorial about using the FMC is too complicated.

For the FMC maybe you need to try another document rather than the PMDG tutorials. Search the Internet for PMDG 737NGX FMC. There are a lot of hits which include printed documents and videos. If you can't use the FMC your appreciation and enjoyment of NGX will be limited. Maybe you have wasted your money.

No,  I don't think I wasted my money.  I think the 737 is wonderful!  I think I troubleshooted the AP problem without using the FMC.   I don't feel limited at all.  I was able to fly it from PANC to KSEA without any problems.

Cray Foley