Sign in to follow this  
markmco

Should I Try VATSIM?

Greetings,

I'm new to the forum, but an old time sim guy, going back to the 70's.  Along the way, I've put in a lot of hours and certainly picked up a LOT of bad habits.

As I get older, the thought of flying in a world with real people intrigues me more and more.  Leaning more to general aviation flying (and lack of procedure knowledge) has kept me from VATSIM.  Think it's been about a year since I joined, but never followed through.

My questions:

- Would you guys recommend I jump in with just a cursory knowledge of comm procedures?

- Is there an area of VATSIM for GA beginners?

I'd love to take a few Florida-Island and bush flying trips with others.  Big ORBX fan too, but not limited to those areas.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!  

Best Regards,

Mark

i7 10700KF 3.8gHz -125W air cooled, 500W PSU, 4070 Dual OC 12GB, 16GB 3200, 43" P4317Q

Redbird Alloy RD1, Honeycomb Alpha, Bravo, Stream Deck

No seconds thought about vatsim.

Depending on what you are flying IFR and VFR the procedures would a bit different. Because IFR would require ATC clearance and stuff for approving the IFR flight plan and you will need the latest nav data.

I went in without any ATC comms knowledge. The best part was the ATC guys have helped me a lot but that would be only when very very light traffic.

I would suggest just observe a couple flights by sitting on the same channel. Read some from the vatsim site.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Vatsim is great if they could just fix the sound issues like pilotedge I'd fly it all the time.  Some pilots speak and blow the headphones off your head while then some controllers sound like their underwater.

Maybe its my old age but I cannot understand what their saying 75% of the time.

• Upvote 1

Sean Green

Some pilots speak and blow the headphones off your head while then some controllers sound like their underwater.

Really interesting you mention this, as I am a former broadcast engineer.  This audio problem, aside from poor quality microphones, are mainly 2 different things.

1.  Compression/leveling/AGC

2.  Passband

These are easy things to implement, but would require an entirely new plug-in or audio comms add-on.

If you're going for realism, mix in the 400hz inverter whine.

Anyway, that's a different issue, but you make a good point.

EDIT:  Another major factor would be to use a good quality dynamic (passive) microphone instead of the more common electret elements.

Best Regards,

Mark

i7 10700KF 3.8gHz -125W air cooled, 500W PSU, 4070 Dual OC 12GB, 16GB 3200, 43" P4317Q

Redbird Alloy RD1, Honeycomb Alpha, Bravo, Stream Deck

Make sure you know everything you need for flying in VATSIM otherwise once you encounter an ATC who's not happy working with newbie he will just report you then your account is banned.

In VATSIM they just don't care about pilots.

Make sure you know everything you need for flying in VATSIM otherwise once you encounter an ATC who's not happy working with newbie he will just report you then your account is banned.

And that of course is true for each and every VATSIM controller  :Talking Ear Off:

I fly on VATSIM for almost 20 years (when they started at SATCO) and I never have experienced a pilot that got banned because he is a newbie.

Of course some controllers have more patience then others but when you inform them you are newbie most of them (if not all) are very helpful.

EDIT:

Never mind my answer.

I read some other of your responses and you are just trolling.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Vatsim is great if they could just fix the sound issues like pilotedge I'd fly it all the time.  Some pilots speak and blow the headphones off your head while then some controllers sound like their underwater.

Sure, it can vary a bit.. But I think you exacerbate the problem a bit.. It varies, and of course there is room for improvement. Vatsim is afaik working on the implementation of something new.

Simply not true..

Not sure if troll

Nobody will be banned on vatsim for being new

Op: Go ahead and jump in, you will never look back

And that of course is true for each and every VATSIM controller  :Talking Ear Off:

I fly on VATSIM for almost 20 years (when they started at SATCO) and I never have experienced a pilot that got banned because he is a newbie.

Of course some controllers have more patience then others but when you inform them you are newbie most of them (if not all) are very helpful.

EDIT:

Never mind my answer.

I read some other of your responses and you are just trolling.

I am not troll but a person who voice out the truth which makes some people unhappy. 

With the extensive collection of incident cases in the library I am speaking with absolute confidence. Something you don't see doesn't mean it never happened.

I think it makes sense that any person starting out at least knows the basics.  But to know EVERYTHING, is not necessary.  Just don't be an idiot.  Deliberate idiots with intent to disrupt deserve a ban.   Vatsim is nothing without pilots so your last statement is a bit dramatic.

This is the biggest negative of Vatsim to me too.  I'd fly a lot more often online if this were better but I hate being the one that has to ask controllers to repeat themselves 10 times or get it sent in a text message.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

This is the biggest negative of Vatsim to me too. I'd fly a lot more often online if this were better but I hate being the one that has to ask controllers to repeat themselves 10 times or get it sent in a text message.

That's a fair point Kamal. I'm only a pilot and I find the quality of sound to be random. Some is very good, others are bad. In my opinion, from what can can HEAR, it sounds as though some controllers have their mics in their mouths (well almost) - which makes the sound distort. Also, not everyone has the same budget so some are probably using cheaper mics/headphones than others which is understandable.

Having said all of that, I think the professional standard shown by controllers on VATSIM is high - from my experience.

I think it makes sense that any person starting out at least knows the basics.  But to know EVERYTHING, is not necessary.  Just don't be an idiot.  Deliberate idiots with intent to disrupt deserve a ban.   Vatsim is nothing without pilots so your last statement is a bit dramatic.

You got the point - VATSIM is nothing without pilots but this platform itself doesn't seem to care about the pilots.

this platform itself doesn't seem to care about the pilots.

What does that mean?  

this platform itself doesn't seem to care about the pilots.

You want them to send you a christmas card or something?

Squawkbox doesn't seem to be around anymore. It would be for FS9.  What pilot program does everyone use or can squawkbox be found somewhere?

Jim