Sign in to follow this  

P3D v2.5 SLI test results, up 33%

Sorry for delay response, I had surgery on my larynx to remove something that wasn't supposed to be there. I'm up and alert now, but groggy. Hence why I've never done voice overlays in my video ... Because I could barely speak. I should have my voice back in a couple of weeks, full recovery 8 weeks.

Good news! Continue to improve Rob!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thanks all, feeling pretty good considering the location/procedure involved and I hate going under general anesthesia. Jell-o time for the next 2 weeks, no coffee, ugh ... 

So to summarize with folks that have odd effects issues so I can see if I'm having same issues:

1.  Strobe lights from PMDG 737 at night  (pretty sure I don't have this issue as I've tested at night)

2.  Lightning

3.  Boats/ships wakes

4.  Strange lines in the sky

For those of you using the old AFR-Friendly route ... it might be wise to remove everything related to that (the AFR-Friendly.cfg that gets created, etc. etc.) ... remove shader cache, don't use NI and hit "restore" from NVCP on the Prepar3D.exe profile.

Cheers, Rob.

I am in a similar situation, I have a first generation Titan and I am ready to move to SLI but I am not sure if the 1st generation in SLI will improve current stats on a 4k as I am using one. Or do I sell the titan I have and move to Titan Blacks in SLI or bite the bullet and purchase a pair of Titan X and SLI.....

Any input?

Very good question and I'm equally interested in the answer as you. However if going the route replacing the Titan I would go with 970 rather than Titan Black. Or maybe wait for 980Ti...

Richard Åsberg

Rob:  Are you using any tweaks to the NVIDIA settings (not inspector, just the normal NVIDIA settings menu)?

No tweak, NVCP only ... if you have SLI enabled when you select the Prepar3d profile you should see SLI already set ... the only item I changed:

Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance

I would like to think having 2 Titan cards working together in SLI would provide P3D well enough with the GPU power needed or what do you think?

It'll depend on your FPS goals ... I see a 33% increase but my CPU and GPUs are well balanced, neither one is maxing out at 99%.  So the CPU is fast enough to provide the GPU what it needs ... it's a balancing act.

If your PC is balanced then you'll should be able to extrapolate similar increase in FPS 

FYI, I did similar testing with my GPU's overclocked and the results were almost identical with the exception that GPU load went down from 70-90% to 60-80% ... so that tells me I'm pretty much at the max my CPU can give WITH those settings I've listed.

Like I said early some setting will be more CPU intensive (Autogen buildings, AI traffic, road traffic) while other are GPU intensive (tessellation, HDR, shadows, reflections, volumetric fog, ...).  Changing these settings will change the load from CPU to GPU or GPU to CPU.

So if your goal is 60 FPS (sustained in most situations) then you factor that into the equation ... so if you're at 50 FPS now in whatever scenario you want to setup, then that 33% will bump you up to around 66 FPS -- so if your monitor is 60Hz, you can then effectively use Vsync and triple buffer which should provide a very smooth experience.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

All of us treasure your expertise and p3d wisdom! Please take good care of yourself and heal up soon.

Your experience with SLI is encouraging so could you please update your profile regarding your newest 5960 configuration - especially memory and its timing. I know that I want to build a copy of that soon since I want to go 4K with great performance.

Thanks nuch

Dave

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Very good question and I'm equally interested in the answer as you. However if going the route replacing the Titan I would go with 970 rather than Titan Black. Or maybe wait for 980Ti...

Yes I was also thinking about the 970 but I just purchased second Titan Superclocked Signature unit used this morning for a very reasonable price so I will SLI with what I have at this time. I will see how these work in SLI.

Nick Sciortino

Sorry for delay response, I had surgery on my larynx to remove something that wasn't supposed to be there. I'm up and alert now, but groggy. Hence why I've never done voice overlays in my video ... Because I could barely speak. I should have my voice back in a couple of weeks, full recovery 8 weeks.

Does this mean you won't sound like Robin Leach anymore [at least in my head]?

Wishing you all the best Rob.   Your voice is well heard here (and appreciated! - keep videos coming :) )

Yes I was also thinking about the 970 but I just purchased second Titan Superclocked Signature unit used this morning for a very reasonable price so I will SLI with what I have at this time. I will see how these work in SLI.

Looking forward to hear about the result.

Richard Åsberg

So here is my experience so far. I do not have any performance gains whatsoever. Am using 2 980 SLI with or without NI no performance gain. Made a clean driver install enviroment with DDU. Think some of us gonna have to wait for an nVidia update...

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

This is really confusing, some people (most?) see a significant improvement with this new driver and an SLI setup while others report no improvement at all or even worse performance.

Richard Åsberg

No tweak, NVCP only ... if you have SLI enabled when you select the Prepar3d profile you should see SLI already set ... the only item I changed:

Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance

It'll depend on your FPS goals ... I see a 33% increase but my CPU and GPUs are well balanced, neither one is maxing out at 99%. So the CPU is fast enough to provide the GPU what it needs ... it's a balancing act.

If your PC is balanced then you'll should be able to extrapolate similar increase in FPS

FYI, I did similar testing with my GPU's overclocked and the results were almost identical with the exception that GPU load went down from 70-90% to 60-80% ... so that tells me I'm pretty much at the max my CPU can give WITH those settings I've listed.

Like I said early some setting will be more CPU intensive (Autogen buildings, AI traffic, road traffic) while other are GPU intensive (tessellation, HDR, shadows, reflections, volumetric fog, ...). Changing these settings will change the load from CPU to GPU or GPU to CPU.

So if your goal is 60 FPS (sustained in most situations) then you factor that into the equation ... so if you're at 50 FPS now in whatever scenario you want to setup, then that 33% will bump you up to around 66 FPS -- so if your monitor is 60Hz, you can then effectively use Vsync and triple buffer which should provide a very smooth experience.

Cheers, Rob.

I understand the importance of a well balanced PC and how different settings will affect either the CPU or the GPU.

I guess my main goal would be being able to use SGSS again to address the bad AA in P3D. On the other hand I almost got used to the bad AA by now and I never had better performance and smoothness than I currently have so maybe I should just go flying instead :wink:

Richard Åsberg

This is really confusing, some people (most?) see a significant improvement with this new driver and an SLI setup while others report no improvement at all or even worse performance.

Sounds about on par to me ... 80% get it working, 20% don't.  When I encounter a situation where the majority have something working and I don't, then I look inwards to see what the cause could be in my setup ... sometimes I find it, sometimes I don't.

Cheers, Rob.

Confirmed two SLI issues:

1. Boat wakes

2. Lightning

Will pass on to LM.

Cheers, Rob.

Will pass on to LM.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for the follow-up ! As a SLI owner, it's great to have support. These issues existed for month (almost a year ;-) with the AFR Friendly Trick, as seen on these pictures taken in april and may last year.

13913869802_2526df3a74_b_d.jpg

13904601259_a7c7676976_b_d.jpg

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

These issues existed for month (almost a year ;-) with the AFR Friendly Trick, as seen on these pictures taken in april and may last year.

Agree, but now it's "official" ... the AFR trick was not.

There are other issues that need to be sorted out also ... hopefully my data shows that, it's not all about FPS.  So for anyone jumping into SLI, you've been warned, but now that it's official lets hope these issue will be addressed.

Although it does make for some out of this world storms :)

Cheers, Rob.

Rob -  I have had the lightning artifacts in the past along with certain a/c lighting anomalies.

I the SLI section of NVI - the first setting AA_MODE_SELECTOR_SLIAA should be enabled. Then try the lightning and see if it still there.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors