Sign in to follow this  
WilliamB

Recovering Microsoft Flight after computer failure

Just about 1 year ago I got help from this forum, KavindaJD and others) on getting my DLC from Microsoft Live.  I have been enjoying the program ever since.  I now have another problem.  I experienced a sata connector failure on my motherboard.  My C: drive was connected to the failed port and access to all hard drives was corrupted.  I now have a new computer with new windows 7 installed on a new SSD drive and am in the process of restoring all my Flight Sim programs. 

Is the Microsoft flight program available anywhere?  Absent that, none of the data on my original harddisk was corrupted by the failure and that hard drive (F:) is in my new system.  Is there any way to retrieve Microsoft Flight from and and put it on my new drive?  

Any thoughts or help restoring Microsoft Flight on my new system would be appreciated.

WilliamB

Hello William,

You can still get Flight here.

Install Flight first and then install the Client which Novawing24 has suggested to ensure that the client is the most recent one.

You may experience a loss of profile data since some of it is  stored on your Disk Drive. This has been the case when using "NonGFWL" mode on Steve's Flight Toolkit.

If you have been using GFWL and signed in every session with your GFWL login, then the software may automatically sync your profile from the Microsoft servers. However, I'm not 100% sure as most have moved away from GFWL.

Kind Regards,

Kavinda J.D

After getting Flight back you should be able to restore your profile from

ROOT\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Flight\Players\<number code directory>

of the old drive. But not sure how its done exactly I just copy this whole directory and it works but may depend on whether you where using the Flight Tools or not, I use the Non-GFWL version of the tools and had it back up my profile before the MS servers went down so ..

I first tried updating  the Windows Live Client (which was no longer on my computer) using the URL that Novawing24 provided as my original MS Live account is still active.  I am pleased to say that it worked like a charm.  I was able to access the MS Flight program and all my DLC. This was not possible last year when KavindaJD assisted me in accessing my DLC.

I downloaded everything last night and all seems to be working well.  I was asked if I wanted to update my profile which I did but it did not seem to work as I appear to have a new installation requiring me to go through all training for access.  I may try Airwayman's suggestion.  As I enjoy the program I may just start again from the beginning.

I have not tried the toolkit or any of its features.  Do you all think I should take advantage of the toolkit?  Also will the original aerocaches be available in this new install?

My Sincere thanks for your responses and assistance.

WilliamB

Hi, i own MS Flight on steam with all the addons. I managed to download the client but not the dlc. I tried to get them through GFWL but it says there was an error retrieving purchase history. Can someone confirm it works?

I used the same method that 'WilliamB' used above (after a new PC build), and it worked flawlessly.

@ 'sebastian_d': This is exactly what I did:

1) I downloaded and then installed MS Flight - it's the file called 'gfwlivesetup_4d5308d2e0000001_DIR.exe' avaiable here: go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9800616

2) After installation, I ran MS Flight just to test that it worked. I downloaded an update for MS Flight/GfWL, the game exited automatically and then I tested MS Flgiht again. Then I signed in to GfWL (press the 'home' key if not prompted automatically).

3) Then I downloaded the client for 'GfWL Marketplace' - it's the file called 'gfwlsetup.exe' available here: http://www.xbox.com/en-AU/Live/PC/DownloadClient

4) Then I signed in to the GfWL 'Marketplace' and my downloads all appeared in a list and I downloaded them one at a time.

Install every program as an administrator (force it by right-clicking on the icon and then clicking on 'Run as Administrator'). Also ensure that your anti-virus allows these programs to connect to the Internet.

Otherwise my advice is to use Google to troubleshoot the fault. Maybe you can sign out and then sign back in? Post number 4 at this link says that the error can be caused by improper Internet settings (e.g., your anti-virus blocking the program or just a poor connection itself). Post number 2 at this link (from an MS advisor) suggests two possible solutions, one of which is to check that your system time is correct.

I'm sorry that I can't suggest anything else. Perhaps someone on this forum has a suggestion or solution?

Hi Jarsky, thanks for the time you tok to answer!

I got to the point where you download an update, not really sure where inside the sim you get that update. My version is 1.1.1.300.63

I downloaded an update for MS Flight/GfWL, the game exited automatically and then I tested MS Flgiht again. 

Hi Jarsky, thanks for the time you tok to answer!

I got to the point where you download an update, not really sure where inside the sim you get that update. My version is 1.1.1.300.63

You're welcome - just ignore any typos as it was late and I was very tired at that point, haha! I just hope that you can figure our the problem you've been having...

..anyway, the update I mentioned was an update from Games for Windows Live (GfWL) - the update appeared at the top of the screen, the same place where a box appears after you press the 'Home' key on your keyboard. I think it was an update for GfWL itself, not 'Flight'. You have the latest (correct) version number, so don't worry about that; if your version of GfWL or 'Flight' had a critical update, then it would prompt you (e.g., force you) to download it and then to apply it and to restart 'Flight'.

Are you still unable to download your dlc? If not, then you should download 'stonelance's' 'Flight Toolkit' available here (the latest version is 1.1.6). I'll PM you now with more details.

Latest version of the Flight Toolkit is version 1.1.15. Steve's been working on it over the summer, but things are getting busier nowadays....

P.S Great advice there jarsky!

Latest version of the Flight Toolkit is version 1.1.15. Steve's been working on it over the summer, but things are getting busier nowadays....

P.S Great advice there jarsky!

Thanks - I hate any kind of IT problem, especially if I weren't able to re-acquire items I'd already purchased! (I also hate it when people solve problems but don't post their solutions!)

Anyway, that's cool - the Toolkit really has come a long way. When you say "busier", I hope you are referring to the greater potential in 'Flight' (e.g., new content).

Thanks - I hate any kind of IT problem, especially if I weren't able to re-acquire items I'd already purchased! (I also hate it when people solve problems but don't post their solutions!)

Anyway, that's cool - the Toolkit really has come a long way. When you say "busier", I hope you are referring to the greater potential in 'Flight' (e.g., new content).

Unfortunately, no,"busier" is literal in this case. So no new content from the toolkit (that is quick to produce anyway!) - we have to hand tweak content which is a pain!