Sign in to follow this  
stratfordman10

Continual Crashing to Desktop

For some reason as of yesterday after about 10-20 minutes of flying the sim stops and just reverts to my PC welcome page.

This is not a Vas issue and there is no fatal error shown either-the sim just cuts out totally.

I have Active Sky Next running and the usual Orbyx products i.e FTX Global and Open LC Europe and FTX England but I have at least 1.2 g of Vas Left when it cuts out.

Earlier I checked the Task Manager and it stated that the monitor was not responding.

I downloaded the latest Nvidia driver yesterday.

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Michael

Michael Broom

Is this a TDR issue?  

I have this as well with Windows 10 and Nvidia 355.60, but it's actually happened on every driver released for Windows 10.  Unfortunately there appears to be no solution, assuming that this is your problem.

Ian R Tyldesley

Roll back to your previous driver What happened to you is why I never download the latest driver from Nvidia.. ever!!!

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Roll back to your previous driver What happened to you is why I never download the latest driver from Nvidia.. ever!!!

It might not help OP, it certainly didn't help me, i have rolled back all the way to 352.84 (the first non-beta driver on Windows 10) it made little difference to me, other than i got two hours out of the sim before a BSOD, rather than the 10 minutes and TDR i get on 355.60 and all previous versions.

It's is good advice for the OP.

Ian R Tyldesley

Hi,many thanks for your replies.

Yes,the problem may be the latest driver.

Forgive my ignorance but how do I uninstall the latest driver and go back and install a previous version and which version would be best.

My OS is windows 7

Many thanks.

Michael

Michael Broom

Use DDU:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

It will reboot you to safe mode, remove the old driver and simply download the driver you want from here:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-uk

Install as normal.  You might want to download the driver you need before removing the current one.

Ian R Tyldesley

Hi again,

Many thanks for your advice.

Could I uninstall through the start menu rather than downloading the software?

Also,which driver would you recommend to reinstall.

Sorry to be a pain but you are really helping me out here.

Many thanks,

Michael

Michael Broom

Hi again,

Many thanks for your advice.

Could I uninstall through the start menu rather than downloading the software?

Also,which driver would you recommend to reinstall.

Sorry to be a pain but you are really helping me out here.

Many thanks,

Michael

I use 347.88 Works great with Windows 7 and P3D. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Hi again,

I uninstalled the new driver and then installed driver 347.88 but after 20 minutes of flying the same issue occurred and the sim stopped totally and I was left with my PC windows screen,so nothing changed.

I have never experienced anything like this before and I am now at a total loss as obviously I cannot use the sim beyond 20 to 30 minutes.

A previous post mentioned about this possibly being a TDR issue and I am wondering what this means etc.

Any further help/ advice would be very appreciated.

Michael

Michael Broom

A previous post mentioned about this possibly being a TDR issue and I am wondering what this means etc.

Any further help/ advice would be very appreciated.

Michael

Hi Michael,

I assume he was referring to 'Timeout Detection and Recovery'. A Google search will provide you with Microsoft's explanation.

I wish people would stop using acronyms without qualification in their posts unless they are in common usage and are well known to everyone. It is not helpful and implies (whether intentional or otherwise) a sense of ill-founded superiority over the rest of us. Use of acronyms should be restricted to those instances where the item is referred to repeatedly in a post. In this instance the poster should have stated the first instance as 'Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR)'. Thereafter it would be reasonable to use 'TDR' by itself as a shorthand way of abbreviating the text.

Just in my humble opinion (IMHO), of course, for what it's worth (FWIW).

Mike :)

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your reply.

If it is a TDR issue is there any way that I can rectify the problem?

Many thanks.

Michael

Michael Broom

I assume he was referring to 'Timeout Detection and Recovery

Yes that was me, very sorry for not explaining it; i have been looking at mine for around 3 weeks now, so i have TDR running around in my dreams.

If it is a TDR issue is there any way that I can rectify the problem?

Firstly it's worth checking if it actually is a TDR issue.  Go into Event Viewer (after the problem has occurred), look in System for a Warning 4101 saying something along the lines of:

Display driver nklddmkm (if nVidia) stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Assuming you have this, you can try removing all over-clocks and cleaning the fan on the card, it's recommended, i would be surprised if it works.

Unfortunately the best fix is finding a driver that doesn't cause them, you can manipulate registry values, but i have had no success with this.  When in Windows 7 i had good luck with 352.86, it's quite an old driver and caused stuttering in GTA V but other than that was pretty stable.

Please be aware that some of the older drivers don't cause TDR errors (at least on my machine) they cause hard blue screens of death, which is much worse.

Assuming that you feel like editing the TDR values try this (very much at your own risk):

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/694754/geforce-drivers/tdr-manipulator-v1-1-02-23-2014-/

I would take the time to read and understand the comprehensive description provided.

Hope that helps and once again sorry for not explaining myself better, i certainly don't think i am superior to anybody, just a lapse on my part.

Ian R Tyldesley

Thanks for your reply again,

Before receiving your reply just now I tried another flight and after about 15 minutes it crashed to desktop 'PDx3 exe has stopped working' and it showed the following information;

Fault Module Name   ai_player.dll

Fault Module Version  2.5.12946.0

Fault Module Timestamp  555f2e53

Exception Code  c0000005

Exception offsett  00045d69

Before investigation TDR further I am wondering whether I might have a faulty dll file here.

I apologise if the answer is obvious.

I was flying the 737 NGX at the time of the crash and I still had 1.7 vas left.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Michael

Michael Broom

The faulting module is not always the reason for the crash. However, that it ISN'T a kernel or driver error being reported is a clue that this is NOT likely to be a TDR error, but is most likely related to either power supply or temperature issues. Clean the fans as advised.

If not it could be as simple as needing the UIAutomationCore.dll fix, which you can google. This often presents as a sudden crash at a regular interval.