Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

FSX Photoreal Scenery or none?

How can one tell if their airport scenery has "Photoreal Scenery" or not? I don't want any Photoreal Scenery activated unless I need it to be, but I can't tell which has Photoreal Scenery and which don't.

Well, from the ground textures under the airport i guess?

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Well, from the ground textures under the airport i guess?

I guess what I am saying is there a way by file type to tell so a search would reveal it.

I guess what I am saying is there a way by file type to tell so a search would reveal it.

The file extension for photoscenery is the same as other scenery files, ".bgl". However, the photoscenery files tend to be the largest of the bgl files (but not always).

With many add-on airports, if you "de-activate" the photo scenery base, the airport will not look correct. Essentially the custom scenery objects will be on top of the default FSX landclass.

If your concerns are OOMs, it would be better overall to deactivate all of your custom scenery except your departure and arrival airport to minimize what scenery is loaded into memory.

A piece of software called "SceneryConfigEditor" does this very well. I use it.

The file extension for photoscenery is the same as other scenery files, ".bgl". However, the photoscenery files tend to be the largest of the bgl files (but not always).

With many add-on airports, if you "de-activate" the photo scenery base, the airport will not look correct. Essentially the custom scenery objects will be on top of the default FSX landclass.

If your concerns are OOMs, it would be better overall to deactivate all of your custom scenery except your departure and arrival airport to minimize what scenery is loaded into memory.

A piece of software called "SceneryConfigEditor" does this very well. I use it.

Thanks for your response. I have been using Scenery Config Editor and only enabling scenery where I am flying. From what I understand is that if you activate photo scenery, it will load no matter where you are in the world, where as regular textures only load at a certain radius. What I would like to do is only enable the photo scenery when i get close in flight. Wish there was program that could do that automatically, load and remove scenery as you fly.