Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

Mist following plane. Already tried other threads.

I'm getting mist following me as you can see in the screen shot.

I did a search first before posting and saw that I should rename two files:

fx_WheelWetSpray.fx

fx_WheelSnowSpray.fx

So I renamed them and restarted FSX and it's still there.

I know this is an FSX bug but I was wondering if I'm missing anything.

I have a lot of ORBX files that I saw in the Effects folder but don't know if that makes any difference.

Any help would be very much appreciated.  Thanks.

Jack

Mist.jpg

Jack Sawyer

What aircraft are you flying, freeware or payware?  If you think it may be caused by an effect, try

renaming the EFFECTS] file in the aircraft.cfg to [EFFECTS.1]  this will elininate all effects

so you can do a test flight to see it the mist is gone.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I can't say I have ever experienced this before, with or without ORBX.  Does this occur in other areas of the world?  Have you tried switching aircraft?

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

It's a bug in FSX. If you takeoff on a wet runway you will see the spray from the takeoff follow you.

Bryan Farmer

Yes, it's a known bug but as I posted above about renaming those two files it worked for me a year ago.

Now it's back despite remaning those files.

I was wondering if anyone else has a fix for it.

I was in the Carenado B208 but it does it wilh all planes in ORBX or non-ORBX areas.

Jack Sawyer

Yeah, I saw that but from the reviews I've read there's a lot of stuff in it to really slow down the sim, even some people have claimed OOM's from it.

Jack Sawyer

I've had this issue - no idea what causes it

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It's a bug in FSX. If you takeoff on a wet runway you will see the spray from the takeoff follow you.

Bryan Farmer

I can't speak for DX9 but it's definitely not there for me with DX10. I tried default aircraft and payware over ORBX scenery and once you're clear of the runway it's gone.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I can't use DX-10.

I got this in the summer on a rainy runway. Orbx or non-Orbx, doesn't matter.

It was water effects not snow.

Jack Sawyer

I do not think Precipfx is the cause of oom, and there have been many updates every month. The only complaint I still see from others using the latest version is if you check the contrails box and that can cause performance issues. If you just install rain/snow and spray effects it should be fine. Worth it just for the better rain and snow effects in my opinion.

It's done it in DX-10 mode as well, but I have the Precipfx now and can't remember if I have seen it since, seeing how Windows 10 Defender/Blender allowed the Trojan virus from way down south to enter my PC. Had to wipe the drive with zero's and reinstall my windows 7 image then back to windows 10 for more abuse. Make sure you have a good anti-virus if your on windows 10. I was accessing a HVAC forum and my pc was trashed by the virus. You can't get Microsoft Essentials on windows 10 as it is the dreaded Blender instead. Hope this helps.

Bryan farmer

I'm getting mist following me as you can see in the screen shot.

I did a search first before posting and saw that I should rename two files:

fx_WheelWetSpray.fx

fx_WheelSnowSpray.fx

So I renamed them and restarted FSX and it's still there.

I know this is an FSX bug but I was wondering if I'm missing anything.

I have a lot of ORBX files that I saw in the Effects folder but don't know if that makes any difference.

Any help would be very much appreciated.  Thanks.

Jack

Vapor trail on ground and in air between main gears is normal. This an FSX bug. To get rid of this effect, rename "fx_SnowEngineWash.fx" to "fx_SnowEngineWash.fx.off".

Vapor trail on ground and in air between main gears is normal. This an FSX bug. To get rid of this effect, rename "fx_SnowEngineWash.fx" to "fx_SnowEngineWash.fx.off".

No, it's not normal! If it's an FSX bug, why don't I get it? I haven't renamed any files and I've now tried all of my aircraft, default and payware, and none of them have this problem. Is there a particular area that you get this in? By definition, an FSX bug would affect everyone and it obviously doesn't.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit